150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:54 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
how did you do to keep the texture on the top of the dash and airbag cover? super light sanding? Or did you just painted over those parts and sanded down the contours?

The problem with mine is the rubberized sections like the airbag cover, not like the soft parts/contour of the dashboard.

Edit: rvalero, yeah same question basicaly

I Fail at keeping my car clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quoted: 210 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
How durable is that paint? When I eventually do this, I hope it resists scratches fairly well. Also, do you think you will need to remove the steering wheel to get the dash in/out? Since I always find a way to make easy projects a lot more difficult, I wish I had someone with experience helping me with this. Looks great so far!

EDIT:
Any tips for removing the goo on the air bag cover above the glove box without removing the texture?
The paint seems pretty good, it doesn't look like its going to peel off or anything but I'm sure it won't stand up to heavy scratches just like any other paint. As for getting the dash over the steering wheel just drop your steering column, there's 4 14mm nuts holding it up and just remove those 4 to get some extra space. Also be sure to wrap your steering wheel in a towel to avoid scratching it. The DIY was really helpful on the first time I pulled the dashboard.

To remove the goo just use lacquer thinner or acetone, anything along those lines will strip it right off. I wouldn't recommend using paint stripper or aircraft remover though, those are too strong and well mostly likely melt the plastic as well since its used to strip off paint and powdercoating off of metals. The airbag cover should look pretty good after you strip off the melting stuff, just a lighter shade than the rest of the dash. If you don't want to paint it yet I wouldn't scuff it up until you're ready to paint the rest of your dashboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC!!! View Post
how did you do to keep the texture on the top of the dash and airbag cover? super light sanding? Or did you just painted over those parts and sanded down the contours?

The problem with mine is the rubberized sections like the airbag cover, not like the soft parts/contour of the dashboard.

Edit: rvalero, yeah same question basicaly
I used lacquer thinner and ALOT of old rags. I had some old socks with holes in them so I just drenched it in lacquer thinner and wiped off the melting material. Work in small sections and change your rag often for a new one. Keep wiping away in small sections at a time until the black stuff doesn't rub off on your rag anymore. The airbag cover will take a while, I had to go over it at least 10 times until all of the sticky stuff was gone.

After I completely stripped the dash, I used 320 grit sandpaper to lightly scuff the entire dash including textured areas. Do not press down hard on the sandpaper, just lightly go over it until it looks a little hazy. Same goes for the air bag cover and cluster garnish.

Once you're done, wash everything to get the dust off from sanding and let it dry in the sun. I would also do a final wipe down with lacquer thinner or acetone right before you're ready to paint.
post #183 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

It's been a while since I updated my thread, so here's some pictures of the repainted dashboard back in my car. It turned out pretty good in my opinion

Also my CEL came up for the codes p0440, p0441 and p0446. They're all EVAP codes and I've reset it a couple of times but it keeps coming on occasionally. I already checked my VSV and it still clicked so I figured it might be my fuel cap. I went ahead and picked up a new fuel cap and wow, I did not realize how crappy my old fuel cap looked

Hopefully my CEL stays off with the new fuel cap, I also sanded off the crud on the fuel tank itself so the cap could make a good seal.

Finally about 3 weeks ago it was raining pretty hard here in Houston and I got caught in the rain after a car meet. There was a flooded road on the way home, but my friend was able to make it in his slammed TSX. He was the same height as me so I thought what the hell, if he can make it I can too. Well I made it through the water, but when I got home I realized my front lip got torn off.

I went to go look for it the next morning but it was gone. My front bumper wasn't in the best condition since there was some damage from the previous owner, and that missing chunk from when a rock hit it. I called up the salvage yard and they quoted me $250 for a used OEM bumper, ouch. I always considered putting a Vertex kit on my car and the cost of the front bumper was cheaper than a used oem bumper so I might as well. The front bumper hangs down pretty low compared to the stock bumper so I decided to just get the full kit. I'll be extending the rear lip to fit the USDM bumper and I contacted Figs to get a bash bar made since I don't want to spend $300+ for a used JDM crash bar.

I checked with CARiD and they said they had it in stock and ready to ship out so I placed my order with them. They said it would ship out in 2 weeks but when the time came they emailed me back saying its out of stock and they have already processed a refund... burn

I searched around and found a vendor on ebay that had the kit. I contacted the seller and they said they have it in stock and ready to ship out. It costed more than the price I got from CARiD, but luckily they price matched it for me. The estimated shipping time was in late August, but I told the seller I wanted to get the kit painted and installed before StanceNation Texas.

I placed the order last week, and the seller said they could get it shipped out to me within a week. Yesterday I just received my tracking number and it's on it's way as I type this so they kept their word. If anybody was wondering the vendor was mp_speed_store and they were really nice to work with, they responded in a timely manner, and was able to get the kit shipped out to me earlier than their estimated shipping time. I also ordered an Altezza Z-edition grill to complement the Vertex kit since I didn't think the stock grill would flow well with it.

When I lost my lip I figured that my engine bay would be super dirty since I went through some water. I removed my bumper and sprayed down everything underneath the car and under the front bumper. Since my bumper was jacked up, and looks like crap without the front lip I decided to roll bumperless for a while since I already had it off. I have since put my bumper back on, but it was fun being a ricer for a weekend

juicij36, rvalero, IS3_FTW and 4 others like this.

post #184 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Garage
Great job on your dash!! Did you use SEM paint? I really need to do this, but I can't go without driving it for 2 weeks waiting for the paint to stop stinking. I think the 3 bar Z grill goes perfect with the Vertex bumper. Which sides and rear are you getting? BTW, didn't know carid had vertex...or is it version select?

You're making me want to start modding my car again, but I don't really have much I want to change on my car lol.

EDIT:
I swear I keep getting you and blkdout mixed up . I thought this was his thread at first. I looked at an earlier post to see which paint you used.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.

Last edited by rvalero; 07-25-2015 at 12:57 AM.
post #185 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Its all good, I sometimes get our threads mixed up too so I have to make sure I'm updating the right thread

If anybody else is wondering I used flat black Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint.

I thought I mentioned it, but guess I left it out. I got the full VIS Racing V-Speed kit which was offered by CARiD, but was out of stock. I read its a exact copy of the original Vertex kit. My first choice would have been the Version:Select but it's discontinued now, and I have heard nothing but bad things about Duraflex so I avoided that. I would have liked to get the authentic kit especially the intercooler version so I could use my usdm crash bar, but it's $800 +shipping just for the front bumper, while I got the entire VIS kit for $800 shipped.

From what I read the only difference between the two is that the VIS rep has slightly thinner fiberglass and the edges are more rounded off. It's not a big deal to me since I'm going to take my time to make it fit perfectly. I'm planning to fill in the license plate bracket, and if the rounded edges are a big deal I'll reshape it too. The side skirts should bolt on with no problems, and I'm just going to extend the rear lip a few inches to fit on the USDM bumper. In the end I'm hoping it'll look similar to tito's old altezza minus the vents under the passenger side headlight.

IS3_FTW and TobiasSing like this.
post #186 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Addict

Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
ahh ok! so it's not a Vertex kit ; ).. it's gonna look nice for sure.
Couple months ago, I was in touch with Version Select people and we were ready to order the Front and sides. I decided to do something else but it was available for sure.

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #187 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:17 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

Nice results and looking good. Looking forward to see more upgrades

Quote:
EDIT:
I swear I keep getting you and blkdout mixed up . I thought this was his thread at first. I looked at an earlier post to see which paint you used.
Im with you. I have to see the wheels, to know who is who

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #188 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Cherisher

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
Im with you. I have to see the wheels, to know who is who
It's not hard to see blkaltezza has a nicer car than me

....for now anyway

Definitely looking forward to the new body! Great work and maintenance on this car!

'03 Wagon - Stock
'02 Sedan - Not Stock

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #189 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

^^ haha thanks guys, and blkdout at least your engine bay looks WAY better than mines

Anyways the VIS Vertex rep came in today.

First impressions, the fiberglass is the standard thickness, and it looks like it needs very minimal work to make it fit right. It even has predrilled holes which I wasn't expecting. I haven't test fitted it yet since I need to cut off some material for my intercooler so I'll hold off on that until the weekend.

I think VIS Racing discontinued the Vertex rear lip replica, all of the websites I checked and the VIS website said out of stock. I ordered the full kit without asking the vendor and I guess they just sent me a BN Sports rear bumper. I wasn't expecting that but I'm not mad or anything since I would have had to modify the Vertex rear lip to fit the USDM bumper anyways. I'll probably sell the bumper and pick up a replica TRD rear lip since I don't want to go through the hassle of finding a jdm rear crash bar too.

Also I have a question for those of you who installed side skirts. Did you guys have to unbolt the rear door to fit the side skirt? I barely have any room to put the side skirt between the door jams even with the doors fully open.

Finally here's a picture from a car meet last week, one of my photographer buddies caught me with my jacked up front bumper. You can't really tell from the picture, but I have damage on the license plate holes, and a chunk missing near the driver side foglight.

Last edited by blkaltezza; 07-29-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
post #190 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

BN rear doesn't flow with anything except BN lol so that's random

There also isn't a "jdm rear crash bar", it's literally just a foam piece. I don't even know how it mounts because the entire USDM mount has to be removed for a JDM bumper

Best bet for rears are custom bash bars. Street Faction made them for a while but I'm not sure they still do

Oh I might know some one that had a rep lip for JDM bumper. I think it's just a Carson/L-tuned/TRD lip though

Anyways, car is looking good. Hopefully I can get back down to Texas next year and check it out
post #191 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Thanks Corey! If you're ever in Houston let me know, I'll definitely make some time for us to meet up

I already contacted Figs about making me a bash bar for the front, but for the rear I'll just leave it alone. I forgot the JDM rear had a foam piece, I knew that but I guess I had a brain fart moment there. I was planning on just getting a rear lip that fits the USDM rear bumper. I know everybody will probably bash me for getting a replica but in my opinion body parts could be "massaged" to fit so it doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm not too worried about the BN rear, everybody and their mom is getting that kit for their IS300 now so I hope it sells quickly. At least the vendor didn't send me the cwest rear like the duraflex kit, I was never a fan of the cwest sides or rear
post #192 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

After my class was over today I stopped by the PPG paint store and brought some Toyota 202 paint. When I told the guy at the store I wanted 202 paint he asked me what type of 202 black I needed. I always thought there was just one 202 paint that was single stage, but the salesman said otherwise. I went ahead and just got the single stage paint though.

When I got home I started fitting the front bumper and I take back about what I said about it yesterday, it's a pain to fit it on the car. I accidentally ended up breaking my two of my bumper support clips too. I think the part number is 52132-53010 but can anyone confirm? I found it in this thread and want to make sure before I place an order for new ones.

https://my.is/forums/f115/under-headl...9/#post6288248

Not my picture but its this clip

I ended up fitting the bumper after ALOT of trimming around my intercooler area and sanding down some areas around the headlights. There is still a huge gap between the headlights though. Honestly I'm not sure if I want to keep it at this point. I'll still put it on my car, but I think I'll probably end up selling it in the future and going back to a polyurethane kit.

Tomorrow I plan to fit the foglights since its a tight fit and doesn't sit flush. I'll also sand down the entire bumper to prep it for paint. Hopefully the side skirts give me less of a headache than the front bumper
post #193 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:30 AM
SEAHAWKS!!

Quoted: 552 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
When I got home I started fitting the front bumper and I take back about what I said about it yesterday, it's a pain to fit it on the car. I accidentally ended up breaking my two of my bumper support clips too. I think the part number is 52132-53010 but can anyone confirm? I found it in this thread and want to make sure before I place an order for new ones.

I ended up fitting the bumper after ALOT of trimming around my intercooler area and sanding down some areas around the headlights. There is still a huge gap between the headlights though. Honestly I'm not sure if I want to keep it at this point. I'll still put it on my car, but I think I'll probably end up selling it in the future and going back to a polyurethane kit.

Tomorrow I plan to fit the foglights since its a tight fit and doesn't sit flush. I'll also sand down the entire bumper to prep it for paint. Hopefully the side skirts give me less of a headache than the front bumper
Looks like the part number to me, according to the diagram

ive read that vertex reps have to be mudded, to lose the gaps around the headlights and the foglight holes are tight. Can you see if there is a way to open the holes up a bit without messing it up to badly

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #194 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
Looks like the part number to me, according to the diagram

ive read that vertex reps have to be mudded, to lose the gaps around the headlights and the foglight holes are tight. Can you see if there is a way to open the holes up a bit without messing it up to badly
Thanks for the response! I'll place a order for the clips then. You're right about the gap, I think I'll have to add some filler to even it out.

I haven't did too much with the foglights yet but as you said its a tight fit and its not completely flush. I'm just going to sand down the material around the edges so it fits a little loose. Once I paint it, the thickness from the paint should take up the slack.

Anyways I snapped a few pictures of it on the car, I'll get some more work done to it this afternoon.

Last edited by blkaltezza; 07-31-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: blurred license plate
post #195 of 350 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 PM
Cherisher

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

It's close! Looks salvageable indeed

I bought an Extreme Dimensions kit waaay back in the day and after hours of trying to fit it, I just threw it in a dumpster
IS3_FTW and TobiasSing like this.

'03 Wagon - Stock
'02 Sedan - Not Stock

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page