Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

well damn..
post #168 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)

So just a small update for you guys. I've put about 1000 miles on the turbo kit now and no major problems engine wise. However my CEL has come on twice now, the codes are p0441 p0442 and p0446 which are basically small evap leaks.

I had this problem once before 3 years ago when I wasn't boosted yet and it was just my gas cap. I just took off my gas cap retightened it and reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery.

The first time the CEL came on after I was boosted, I thought the code would be for running too rich or too lean. However it was just a small evap leak like before, and I just refilled my gas tank so my first thought was the gas cap. So I did what I did before and retightened the gas cap and reset the ecu. The CEL stayed off for about 340 miles, which is when I filled up my car again. About 15 miles after I fueled up the CEL came on again, same codes and right after I filled up just like last time.

At this point I'm not sure if its just the gas cap or if it's my vacuum switching valve since they're both part of the evap system. The VSV is normally attached to the stock airbox but now that I'm boosted I just put a small breather filter on it. I'm not sure if its contributing to the problem or not.

Other than the CEL the turbo setup is great, lots of power but it's torture on my stock clutch that is now slipping at 79k miles. Driving normally the clutch is fine, however if I give it over 1/4 throttle in 3rd-5th gear the clutch just slips and you can smell it burning. Right now I can only make pulls in 1st or 2nd gear and even then it slips above 4k rpms. It looks like I'll be placing a order for THmotorsports' N/A supra flywheel and clutch package pretty soon which will include the following.

ARP Flywheel Bolts (X8)
Toyota OEM Slave cyl push rod 31473-14030
Competition Clutch Disc Sprung Full Face Organic
Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
Throwout Bearing
Alignment Tool
13.56lb Steel Flywheel

I've also placed an order for a OBDLINK MX bluetooth scanner to datalog my stock fuel trims so I can fine tune my EMU and ordered a HKS type 1 turbo timer since I'm tired of waiting for my car to cool down.

I haven't washed my car in 2 weeks now because of all the rain we've been getting here in Texas, but my friend was still able to snap a pretty clean picture of my car on his dslr today

Pnut00 likes this.

post #169 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looks great man. Where did you get the trim gasket that you used for your lip?
post #170 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

They're actually from a corolla, they're about $7 each from the Toyota dealership. It even comes in grey if you have a lighter colored car.

Gray:
76882-02010-B0
76881-02010-B0

Black:
76882-02010-C0
76881-02010-C0

My friend told me he uses the ones off a camry and the part number for that is 76875-06020, it might be longer than the ones on the corolla.
post #171 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

My HKS type 1 turbo timer finally came in today! I also got my obdlink MX scanner a couple of days ago too

The past two days I've been datalogging to see where my tune stands in the factory ECU's eyes.

I overlapped the RPM and LTFT graphs together so I could see where I need to add or subtract fuel. I datalogged my car two days ago and the stock ecu was correcting the fuel trims by -18% and 16%. I added more fuel into into the lower section of the map and now I'm seeing -6% and 16%.

The datalogs above were just taken today and it looks like I still need to add more fuel into the 600-1500rpm section and subtract from 1500-3800rpm. I have adjusted my tune again today and will continue doing so until I'm happy with the correction values.

As a added bonus the OBOII scanner showed my gas mileage and I was really surprised to get almost 23mpg, this was city driving too. Majority of the time I baby my car and keep it under 3000 rpms but I was pleasantly surprised to see that my gas mileage was that good even after I boosted the car. I noticed that my gas mileage didn't change after I boosted the car, but I never datalogged the car when it was stock so I don't know if the values are higher or lower than before.

Oh and here's another picture I found of my car from the meet last week

IS-ZERO and xVicious300 like this.
post #172 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That is an incredible write up. So even tho you opted for SRT's kit, you didnt use the haltech? I dont know how your getting 23MPG, I just got my car tuned by Mo with the same SRT kit stage 3 and am getting 14 mpg if im not on it and 12-13 if i go into boost. Im running around 15psi, with around 450whp. Stock is300 motor with a a thicker headgasket and a v161.
post #173 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Addict

Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
Damn that's a huge difference in MPG :S

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #174 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

not a bad looking car bro...how have I wanna say I've seen this car driving around at one point or another here in Houston. it's been a HOT minute since I've been to a car show, nothing like we used to do back in the day.

always respect another turbo'd IS

01 MSM E-Shift ZGMF-X10A Freedom
- Full OEM Aristo 2JZ-GTE conversion :)

Looking to do an Aristo swap?
Aristo Swap with IS ECU
Aristo Swap with Aristo ECU
post #175 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Aficionado

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Great thread, good details of your turbo install.

13 J8A FR-S Series 10
02 CW Sportcross rebuild in progress
02 BO Sportcross 2jzgte build in progress
11 SW Tundra DC TRD supercharged

02 MSM L-tuned Sportcross 5 Speed Sold
01 DWP IS300 Sold

Sportcross owners group on facebook

My Story: https://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...8/#post7991882

My For Sale: https://my.is/forums/f99/sportcross-s...hifter-438917/
post #176 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmalikmd View Post
That is an incredible write up. So even tho you opted for SRT's kit, you didnt use the haltech? I dont know how your getting 23MPG, I just got my car tuned by Mo with the same SRT kit stage 3 and am getting 14 mpg if im not on it and 12-13 if i go into boost. Im running around 15psi, with around 450whp. Stock is300 motor with a a thicker headgasket and a v161.
Yes sir, from the start I was planning to run a piggyback because I wanted to be able to pass obdII inspections and keep all my factory features. I decided to opt out of the Haltech and right now I'm using the Greddy E-Manage Ultimate and everything works just like stock including my gas gauge and mpg gauge.

I got the group buy kit which is the stage 3 kit but it doesn't include gauges, headgasket, and ARP headstuds. The regular SRT kit runs about 14psi with 1000cc injectors on a standalone, while I'm only running 7psi with 550cc injectors on the Greddy EMU with the stock ECU controlling it in closed loop. I like this setup because out of boost it drives like stock and it isn't sluggish since I haven't lowered the compression, but in boost it still has that extra umph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC!!! View Post
Damn that's a huge difference in MPG :S
I was quite surprised myself, I'm guessing its because the engine has to work less to get the car up to speed now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzero View Post
not a bad looking car bro...how have I wanna say I've seen this car driving around at one point or another here in Houston. it's been a HOT minute since I've been to a car show, nothing like we used to do back in the day.

always respect another turbo'd IS
Thanks! I think the last time I saw your car was like 5-6 years ago. It was at one of the old planet zero meets way back then, I think you rolled in with like 6-7 other IS300s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curran View Post
Great thread, good details of your turbo install.
Thank you! I was looking forward to seeing your sx boosted too, but hey things happen. Looking forward to what you get next, I'm sure it'll be just as nice
post #177 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
Thanks! I think the last time I saw your car was like 5-6 years ago. It was at one of the old planet zero meets way back then, I think you rolled in with like 6-7 other IS300s
Yep that sounds about right. Soon as I get this house (hopefully this year) I'm gonna start a new build on mine. A LOTTA parts are going to be replaced with new shit. Then maybe mine will be on the road again. Course by that time most of yall will have probably sold yours and moved on

01 MSM E-Shift ZGMF-X10A Freedom
- Full OEM Aristo 2JZ-GTE conversion :)

Looking to do an Aristo swap?
Aristo Swap with IS ECU
Aristo Swap with Aristo ECU
post #178 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

I stopped by the NT Auto Salvage the other day and they just got a 02 sportcross in as new inventory. It was still in one piece so I took a look at the dashboard. It was melting but it didn't have any deep scratches so I offered to buy the dashboard to try painting it. I basically got everything except for the gauge cluster, radio and a/c controls for $150, pretty good deal if you ask me

I also installed my turbo timer last week but forgot to post a picture of it installed.

Once I got home I removed all of the a/c vents and anything else that didn't need painting. Then I stripped off all of the nasty soft touch material with Lacquer Thinner.

Once I stripped off all of the nastiness, I sanded down the major scratches with 140 grit sandpaper. After I got the scratches leveled, I lightly scuffed the entire dash with 320 grit sandpaper.

This is how the dashboard looked like after I sanded it, honestly I could have left it how it was right after I stripped off all of the melting stuff. It actually didn't look bad, but I'm picky so I decided to sand it down and repaint the whole dashboard.

I painted everything with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint, it's a pretty close match to the oem color so I have no complaints. Just one tip of advice for anybody trying to do this project STAY AWAY from Rustoleum paint for plastics. The Rustoleum went on too thick even though I did light coats and it ended up glossy even though it said it was a satin finish. Luckily I tested the Rustoleum on just one piece before I tried painting everything else.

This is the end result, I didn't paint the driver's side kick panel and glovebox since they were still in pretty good condition. Also it gave me a good reference point to compare how the dash color compared to the oem color. It's a pretty close match if not perfect.

I'm going to let it dry for another day before I swap out my vinyl/suede wrapped dashboard. The surface looks good but it is kinda of rough so I'm going to wash it down with soap and water, then wipe it down with a towel. I'm hoping that well make the surface smoother since it'll wash away the dust/overspray from painting.
juicij36, rvalero, blkdout and 2 others like this.
post #179 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)

Garage
Very nice bro! I will have to do this down the road. My car is my daily so I need another dash board lol let us know how the texture feels

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
post #180 of 350 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 AM
Guru

Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Garage
How durable is that paint? When I eventually do this, I hope it resists scratches fairly well. Also, do you think you will need to remove the steering wheel to get the dash in/out? Since I always find a way to make easy projects a lot more difficult, I wish I had someone with experience helping me with this. Looks great so far!

EDIT:
Any tips for removing the goo on the air bag cover above the glove box without removing the texture?

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page