150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 350 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
Beautiful! So clean, I love your build, it's the way I would do it if I could right now.
(ps. you gotta give me advices on engine bay cleaning!)

I Fail at keeping my car clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 350 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Very nice! cant wait for mine!!
post #153 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Installing mine right now also

post #154 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quoted: 210 Post(s)

So here's some pictures from last week.

Went to a Furious 7 premier which also doubled as a premeet for the "Ricebowl" car show which took place last Saturday.

The premier took place Thursday night, but I didn't stay to watch the movie. Way too many people driving like idiots in the parking lot so I didn't feel comfortable leaving my car for a few hours just to catch the movie.

Anime Matsuri is a 3 day anime convention that takes place once a year here in Houston, Tx and every year there's always a car show portion. In the past the car show was called Import Reactor, but it always had terrible turnouts.

Last year they tried to change things up and teamed up with Hot Import Nights, but it was poorly planned and took place as the same weekend as TX2K so you know where everybody was that weekend...

This year they teamed up with Mayday Garage and decided to call the event Ricebowl. Mayday Garage is a very popular car blog here in Houston, Tx and they've been getting pretty big ever since they teamed up with Car Shop Glow in Japan. Ricebowl was their first major event and this event had coverage from Super Street Magazine, Option Magazine from Japan, Canibeat, and StanceNation.

Not that much coverage has been posted up online yet, but here's some pictures I took of my car on my iPhone.

The car show was open exhibition so it wasn't a competition or anything. My best friend was selling her artwork at the convention so I decided to support her and promote her artwork by showing her prints on my car. Some people are ashamed to admit it, but I am a huge fan of japanese pop culture (anime, manga, vocaloid, jpop, etc) and I have no problem showing it off so don't judge me
rvalero, TobiasSing and mm71522 like this.
post #155 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 04:30 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

question What exactly am i suppose to do drill 2 holes in intake manifold and what sizes do i use to drive them ?
post #156 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

scuba 420 what are talking about???

2JZ AKA Mustang Killer ....Please don't treat your Lexus like a Honda Do it once and do it Right.... And destroy every mustang you see on the way!!!
post #157 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 02:36 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Garage
great write up

like what you did here!!not alot of ppl do a walk through, but also alot of the new guys need to read other stuff to understand what you are talking about here. would like to see more of your tune and how your greddy emu is doing and when do you plan on dynoing it? also how did that aem fail safe work out? i want to go that route but dont think the emu will not work good with it. well what i want from it is the boost reading and the A/F reading cuz i know the fail safe wont work.keep posting. havent seen you on the facebook pages.

K&N Fipk/Hks Hi-Power/MeganRacing/SPC/2001 SMB IS300

Last edited by latinser; 04-12-2015 at 02:43 AM.
post #158 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Thanks, I thought it would be helpful to those who were planning to install their own turbo kit. I spent about 2 years reading up about how to boost the IS300 during my free time and I was able to find everything I needed. Everything is available here on the site and I do mean EVERYTHING, but some people are just too lazy to search for it which is why the older members here get tired of repeating the same things over and over again. I'm starting to get to that point too, I've had alot of people contact me asking for help after they saw my install. I'm all for helping someone out, but if you can't even do your own research then you shouldn't be modifying your car.

As for my car, I've put about 200 miles on the turbo setup so far and its still running well. No check engine lights or anything like that, but it does have a few small hiccups here and there. I haven't datalogged the stock fuel trims with a obdii scanner and fine tuned it yet but I'm sure I can get it running perfectly once I do that. Also I think my clutch might be slipping, if I give it a little too much gas while I'm shifting gears I hear a slight chirp so I might have to upgrade that pretty soon. I'm not planning to dyno it anytime soon, just going to street tune it and get it running how I want it and I'll be satisfied.

The AEM failsafe worked out great for me actually, I hooked up my Failsafe to the EMU with the A/F harness, and I have the Greddy pressure sensor hooked up too so my EMU sees boost and A/F valves. You can configure the Failsafe to display both boost and A/F values but for right now I just have it working as a wideband since I haven't perfected my tune yet. Once I get my tune dialed in I'll use the center display as a boost gauge, and the LEDs as the wideband.

I hear there's alot of IS300 groups/pages on FB but I tend to avoid them. These days the admins make the groups private or invite only so it just gave me all the more reason to avoid them completely. Even when they were public, from what I saw its just a bunch of kids looking for instant gratification with their showoff posts. Also there is ALOT of misinformation in those groups and everybody thinks they're a expert so it ends up in alot of arguments. We had a discussion about what goes on in the FB groups here in the parking lot section and we all agreed that we weren't missing out on much.
post #159 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
I hear there's alot of IS300 groups/pages on FB but I tend to avoid them. These days the admins make the groups private or invite only so it just gave me all the more reason to avoid them completely. Even when they were public, from what I saw its just a bunch of kids looking for instant gratification with their showoff posts. Also there is ALOT of misinformation in those groups and everybody thinks they're a expert so it ends up in alot of arguments. We had a discussion about what goes on in the FB groups here in the parking lot section and we all agreed that we weren't missing out on much.
I very much agree with your last point about Facebook. People on there are really something else. I'm part of a couple of groups, but I creep just for parts that come up for sale Love your turbo build, hope to see a video of your IS doing pull(s) someday.

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
post #160 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 AM
Lurker

Garage
getting the EMU harness through the fire wall

i was just wondering how you managed to get the harness through the fire wall? Looks like a pain in the ass. Did you cut the black protective sleeve to be able to do one plug at a time? any info is appreciated. even picture would be cool.

post #161 of 350 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Oh believe me it was a pita to get it through the grommet. I cut the driver's side grommet with a utility knife and I pushed the plugs through one by one. I started with the smaller one first, and then ran the other two through.

As you can see in the picture the plugs on my pnp harness wasn't completely covered by the sleeve so I had a little room to move it around to get it through. I got mines through by taping it up so it doesn't get damaged and then push the plugs through the grommet sideways. I tried the coat hanger method which always worked for me in the past, but the plugs are too big so don't bother doing that, just cut a cross big enough on the grommet and push them through one by one.
post #162 of 350 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

So another update, I've put about 450 miles on the turbo setup and no major problems so far. I adjusted my tune some more and found out why my AFR was going rich in the upper RPMs. Apparently my injector duty cycle was hitting 100% and when it does that the Greddy EMU can't control the injectors and it just dumps fuel into the engine causing the rich condition.

To solve this problem I found another thread on here from a while back and they said to make the MAF clamp progressive. I tried this so I set the MAF clamp from 4.2~4.3 volts and it solved the problem. However since I subtracted so much fuel when I thought it was running rich, now I was running lean so I had to add fuel back in. I already fixed my fuel map and everything is running well.

Another problem I had was that at idle sometimes the rpms dropped really low to about 500 rpm and felt like it was about to stall. I was reading up about other turbo IS300s with idle problems and alot of people mentioned the air assist tube. The stock injectors are air assist, but majority of aftermarket injectors aren't. Since I installed the injectors SRT provided I assumed they don't need the air assist so I deleted it.

I plugged up both sides where the air assist tube use to be with some vacuum fittings, and tried driving my car with out it. The idle is so much better now, the RPMs still drops down to around 500 but it no longer feels like its going to stall.

Another thing I had to fix recently was my wheel. I accidentally curbed my Rpf1s on a curb yesterday and it really bothered me. This is the first time I have ever curbed my wheels in all my years of driving so I was pretty pissed at myself

I tried fixing it by sanding it down with sandpaper in the following order, 160>400>600>1000>2000>2500 and then I hit it with Mother's mag and aluminum polish. The damaged area looks like chrome now, but its alot brighter than the rest of the wheel. I need to come up with a way to tint it so it can match the SBC finish. Also it was hard to sand off the damage and blend it with the SBC finish. Under the SBC finish it's black and I had to sand off that layer to get to the aluminum. It was hard to sand off the edges without damaging the undamaged SBC so I stopped short of the edge which is why it's black.

I had these wheels for 3 years now, so I think it might be time to switch it up. I was considering some Work CR Kai Kiwamis in the WMB finish but it seems that alot of IS300 owners already have that wheel. I was also considering some SSR SP3s in the SBC finish, but they're 3 piece wheels so they're alot heavier than one piece wheels. I'm really picky when it comes to wheels, they have to be shiny, concave, lightweight and affordable. The RPF1s fit that criteria perfectly so I'm still on the fence about getting new wheels

If it comes down to it, I might just order another set in the exact same specs as the ones I have now and sell my current set. My current set has a few rockchips and minor damage from when discount tire mounted my tires anyways. It would be a perfect chance to get wider tires too since I'm boosted now.

Last edited by blkaltezza; 05-03-2015 at 06:04 PM.
post #163 of 350 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Lurker

Garage
great write up. I should be getting my AEM failsafe soon and then ill start installing everything. Hopefully I don't run into to many problems trying to tune the EMU. I might be trying to get some help from you

post #164 of 350 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Your build is really nice man. You going back to Wekfest this year ? I will probably be there with BMW crew, would be sweet to check out your setup.
post #165 of 350 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
Your build is really nice man. You going back to Wekfest this year ? I will probably be there with BMW crew, would be sweet to check out your setup.
Thank you!

I'll probably be there, but as of right now I'm not sure if I want to show. I've been at Wekfest for the past 2 years and other than my turbo setup and wrapped dashbaord, nothing else has changed. Also I get tired of waiting there by myself from 10am to 6pm. I don't have a group/team so I always rolled in solo. I just go there to have a good time and catch up with old faces, but I'm sure the judges and photographers are tired of seeing my car there with nothing different done to it. I feel like my car is just there to take up space for the show

Wekfest Texas isn't until October though, so I might change my mind. Right now I'm considering selling my RPF1s and ordering a set of NT03+M in the SBC finish. I've also been contemplating a VIS Vertex kit for a while now, but I'm very hesitant since its all fiberglass and it doesn't fit with my USDM crash bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page