User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

AR Fun Build 4.29.15 Update

Figured I'd share the things I've done to my car so far, plus get some opinions for the guru's and average joe's out there. Car info then pics

2002 5sp AR - Currently has 140k, bought it almost two years ago with 119k.

Right off the bat I wanted to 1. Upgrade suspension (I personally can't stand that fluffy/luxury feel when I'm in my go-car) and 2. Pay that sucker off (yes, I got it at a stealership).

Before that though, I did most of the fluid changes and such. Oil, Oil filter, Tranny, Diff, Radiator fluid, brake fluid, and clutch fluid. Didn't do power steering. Everything looked great except the Tranny fluid, it was very gray, cloudy, and runny. On the pro side though, very minimal shavings.

Back to suspension.. Ended up going with Stance GR+ simply due to many positive reviews and the good price from THMotorsports. Plus, I liked that they came with 12k/10k springrates, so didn't have to worry about that.

Now I'll shut up and give you some pics

W/ Stance. Wanted to break 'em in before I went too low.

W/ Stance. Wanted to break 'em in before I went too low.

Had to get a few bottles of water for work.. made me a bit lower than I really was haha

Bad pic, but finally came up on a deal for some Work VSXX's.
Front - 18x8+25 came wrapped w/ 215/40 Yokohama Eco's. Had decent tread left, so I left them on.
Rear - 18x9+25. Tires were dead, so I wrapped 'em in Milestars 225/40 (540 Thread count!) These were the cheapest at discount tire for $100 each.

Test fitting rears

Front on the ground, pre roll/pull.

Rear again, on the ground this time. Look at that toe

I tried driving around before rolling and pulling on these.. NOT a good idea! Ended up flipping the tab on my front left fender. Oh well though, I learned.

The roll and pull at 9k racing in La Puente. FYI - I would not recommend them.. They were very nice and all, but the guy pulled my fronts out wayyy further than I asked him too. And I asked him like 4 times...

You can see here. Spacers maybe..

Just some cool pics. Oh hey sXe10 SoCal guys

I went cheap for the upper strut bars. Figured that based on reviews, the uppers don't make nearly the impact as sways do, so I'll go cheapo on those and spend money on sways w/ figs end links. besides.. $90 to throw a piece of metal for both upper front and back is a good deal imo.

That cut out on the right is for the fuse box by the battery

Don't mind the dirty engine please! Oh and I picked a Joe Z from a member on here for cheap as well.

Playing w/ Grills

The black one is a cheapo from amazon.com for $30

Ended up with the chrome 3 bar, Might end up painting the Chrome black. We'll see.
APEXi N1 Exhaust - Catback

Sounds great behind the car, but can barely hear it from inside the cab. There's of course pros to this, I may cut out the resonator in the future depending on long it takes me to get on with the real plans..

Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, + gaskets. Unfortunately I was a bit nervous to the cam seals so I didn't do that. Wish I did -_-

Wheephole leakage in water pump

My Method (3 foot cheater bar) - worked no prob.

Was pretty sure I had a leaky reservoir in my fan shroud, so replaced this.

With this

Clutchmasters FX100 clutch kit - just put this in the other night!

OEM flywheel

Also did the figs CDD in the swap and installed an aluminum radiator, supposedly made by the same shop as mishimoto just non branded. Mainly did the rad upgrade as I still have/had leaks of coolant (only when at high altitude..), so wanted to eliminate the possibilities of bad seals in the oem radiator.

I'll add pics of other things I have later on. Plans are to turbo at moderate boost levels at 6-8 lbs w/ stock internals. Run that relialbly for a while then upgrade internals w/ gte parts, arp studs, resurfacing, port and polishing, etc. Still need to determine which ems to go into, or more specifically, who tunes what in socal haha.

Always open for input, questions, and suggestions! Thanks for looking

My Build

Last edited by jimboozy; 04-29-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Deity

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

very nice so far man!

Congrats and welcome.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Thanks Jerm! Btw, I'm Tommy on fb who messaged you about the rigid bars.. just fyi

My Build

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Deity

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

hahaha sickkk! We'll stay in touch through facebook

Also, you may want to get this thread moved to the build section if you update it often

Can't wait to see more!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Fiend

Very nice sir

-PEKS & PWETS-

check out my 02 black onyx is300 slow build:
https://my.is/forums/f219/precious-my...-build-441805/
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Great start you got so far. Keep it up!
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick star View Post
Very nice sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS5043 View Post
Great start you got so far. Keep it up!
Thank you very much guys!

patrick_star, are you still active in sxe10?

My Build
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Nice job so far, looking forward to more!
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboozy View Post
Thank you very much guys!

patrick_star, are you still active in sxe10?
I was just wondering the same haha.

On your grill you should look into using the same spray D lo used on his head lights. Like a VHT tint. It made his chromes look like black pearl.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchyers View Post
I was just wondering the same haha.

On your grill you should look into using the same spray D lo used on his head lights. Like a VHT tint. It made his chromes look like black pearl.
I'll have to talk to him an see what's up, his headlights turned out real good. I think that'd be a pretty good look on that grill, thanks for the fyi.

My Build
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Nice work dood!

Too many people try to impress others and build their car to what they know someone will like.
You lose sight on what you like, when you simulate your likes around others dislikes.
-PhillyB

What the Fitment
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

2/14/13 Update

Below are a few more pictures I took plus results of my dry compression test:

Cylinder 1: 175
Cylinder 2: 178
Cylinder 3: 175
Cylinder 4: 177
Cylinder 5: 179
Cylinder 6: 180

I was devastated though when getting to my spark plugs. Hadn't taken off the throttle body or upper intake until this point. Tons of valve cover gasket leakage, and a little bit of seepage into the spark plug wells. Needless to say, two valve cover gaskets are on their way.

Aluminum radiator I picked up for cheap - supposedly from same mfg as Mishimoto. Was having coolant leaks when going up into the mountains, hoping I'm done with coolant issues now -_-

Installed this during the clutch swap - Between that and the single mass flywheel, finally feels like a real clutch!

The nastyness of wet/dry/dirt build up between my valve covers

Gross!!

Looks like normal wear and tear to me, but that's only through a quick google. Most of my spark plugs looked like this. The ones that didn't look like this was because oil got on them from removing them where oil was pooled up on top of them :/

That gap seems huge! Didn't have the measuring tool handy :/

More pics of my dirty @$$ tb and intake parts

I think part of why it's all sooooo dirty is I left the top part of my stock intake box off, and my guess would be that the drop in filter didn't have a good enough seal and was able to sneak in some nasty stuff. I'm sure there are other reasons why it's that dirty, so if you do know please chime in!

I do have NGK Iridiums that I was going to install, but after seeing how nasty it is in there I decided to hold off until I can install the new valve cover gasket. Don't want new plugs taking oil baths on their first day!

Testing out some interesting prototype camber adding front LCA spacers here. This is max height on Stance GR+ coilovers with an 18x8 +25 wheel wrapped in 215/40's. Turns out they also lower your height by 1.75 - 2 inches. Lesson learned here - these Do Not work with Stance! I believe there's a member somewhere on here that has done these with BC and worked fine.

Had to switch to a stock wheel so I could turn. We finished installing them at about 3:30am soo didn't really feel like taking them off haha

annnd saw this gorgeous thang drivin' around

Immediate plans are to get those valve cover gaskets then clean the crap out of my tb, intake, valve covers, and do my best to clean out the spark plug wells. Then I'll throw in the NGK's and call it a day for now. I have a huge pile of parts that I'll be taking plenty of pics soon, and then the real fun is about to begin!

My Build
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Addict

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Looks really nice so far!
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

oh man... I gotta do all this maintenance on my car too :/ rep for some motivation

-Mike
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmkent View Post
Looks really nice so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY2J View Post
oh man... I gotta do all this maintenance on my car too :/ rep for some motivation
Thanks willmkent!

MY2J, haha thanks! What all do you have to do? I like working on my car and all.. but the roughest one was probably doing the dang water pump and timing belt. It was my first time on this car, so I took my sweet time to observe and learn as much as I could. To do it again would be much easier, but I still would not want to do it ahah. Reading other people's DIY's was my motivation as well

My Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page