2002 IBP Auto IS300 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
2002 IBP Auto IS300

Hey all! So, I'm coming from an integra. I'm a bilateral amputee so for daily driving I use automatic. The automatic on the integra is quite horrible. So in my quest to find something rwd and with a good auto in the $6k range, i stumbled upon the buttery smooth 2jz, rwd, sexy IS300.

After months of looking at my local craigslist I branched out and found one 2.5 hrs away and went and picked it up. Was asking $6500 and I bought it for $5500.

Bought it at 137k, 2002, Blue, new tires and rotors and pads, and two dents that honestly aren't bad. The rest of the paint is good except for some chips in the side moldings. Also has good tint, LSD, master and spare key, and heated suede seats (which i wanted so the hardware of my legs and running legs dont scratch the leather when hauling them, which is almost every day)

So right now I just have one picture. I also will post a picture of my timing belt, I'm 99% sure it needs to be changed but I'd like to get another opinion. I already have it scheduled to be changed anyway, but I'm curious.

Off the bat: yellow film for foglights, installed my subs, cleaned headlights a tad with some toothpaste, fixed gas lid so it popped open, maybe red film for the tails, not sure yet. Also still deciding on suspension mods.

More pics to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 08, 5 10 54 PM.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	93786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 09, 10 18 37 AM.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	93794  
treehunna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
Hey guys, so I really would like some input on the belt. I found out that separation isn't a bad thing which i originally thought was horrible. As of right now I'm avoiding driving the car because I have no idea lol. the belt honestly looks recently replaced but I'm not that experienced. The guy had it for twoish years and bought it around 100k~. So theres a chance it was changed at 90k.

So here are more pics, I would love so more input before I go spend $600 on top of buying the car itself and taxes off the bat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 10, 2 02 31 PM.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	93818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Mar 10, 2 02 15 PM.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	93826  
treehunna is offline  
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
           
Good looking car. Personally, if I didnt know when the belt was changed, i'd just change it. Peace of mind thing.

2004 IS300 Eshift
BRZ 4.1 LSD - 18x8.5 Evo X Enkei's - Koni
- Tein - Stoptech - EBC - Tanabe
Thread: https://my.is/forums/f219/tvl3rds-2004-is300-565586/
tvl3rd is offline  
 
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvl3rd View Post
Good looking car. Personally, if I didnt know when the belt was changed, i'd just change it. Peace of mind thing.
Thanks, I'll post some more once I do some things haha.

And i know, that's kind of how i feel. Originally I thought it was going to be $300 for just the belt and pump. But now I see that it's going to be over $500 and I'm hesitant, especially if I'm actually changing it like 50k miles early...
treehunna is offline  
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
           
Nice find! I'd probably do the cam, crank, valve cover and VVTi gear seals while you're in there. Definitely would hate to see those leak and they'd have to do the job twice practically $$$. Enjoy the car .

PS- Can't forget about spark plugs and replacing the cabin air filter - those were the first things I practically did and was glad I did. Oh and ball joints and tie rod ends.

01 IS300 - MSM - 240k mile high club

Currently in: snow mode

BRZ Differential w/ 4.1 -- K&N FIPK Intake -- CXRacing Coilovers -- IS350 18" Wheels -- Greddy Lip [RIP :(]

Hotchkis Sways -- OBX Shorty Headers -- Custom Magnaflow Catback

"Gotta work on the nut behind the wheel before you start fixing bolts on the car"
therock0720 is offline  
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
Here are more pictures. I'm starting to think it was changed on schedule 50k~ miles ago?

And thanks for the suggestions. That all sounds good but when I bought this I planned on maybe a $400 timing belt. So now finding out its $600 and then also all of those things you suggested are definitely going to have to wait lol. Don't plan on spending $1k+ off the bat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457649367016.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	695.3 KB
ID:	93842   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457649555346.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	708.3 KB
ID:	93850  
treehunna is offline  
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Follower
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
           
Nice looking example, I'm ex Honda as well and know what you mean about the trannies

Err, not sure who told you de-laminating was ok but as an engineer anything starting to come apart at the seams is never a good thing. Looking at the pics you can see the teeth (the things that drive the pulleys) parting ways with the back of the belt (the bit that moves the teeth), any movement between them and you risk valves getting up close and overly personal with the pistons which will hurt the wallet a lot more. From the last couple of belts i have changed the writing on the back of the belt still looked new and there we some rubber nipples still hanging off from the manufacturing but i knew they were at their recommended change mileage so while it looked ok it definitely needed changing.

I know you would like to not spend the money but IMPO I wouldn't drive it until at least the belt is replaced, if you don't have the money you could risk leaving some of the seals till another time (i have had to do that a few times).

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Pnut00 is offline  
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
Nice looking example, I'm ex Honda as well and know what you mean about the trannies

Err, not sure who told you de-laminating was ok but as an engineer anything starting to come apart at the seams is never a good thing. Looking at the pics you can see the teeth (the things that drive the pulleys) parting ways with the back of the belt (the bit that moves the teeth), any movement between them and you risk valves getting up close and overly personal with the pistons which will hurt the wallet a lot more. From the last couple of belts i have changed the writing on the back of the belt still looked new and there we some rubber nipples still hanging off from the manufacturing but i knew they were at their recommended change mileage so while it looked ok it definitely needed changing.

I know you would like to not spend the money but IMPO I wouldn't drive it until at least the belt is replaced, if you don't have the money you could risk leaving some of the seals till another time (i have had to do that a few times).
Well no one told me I just saw from pictures of brand new timing belts from other threads where other people were freaking out about it and they looked exactly like that and everyone was saying that's how they are even brand new.

So i'm still unsure but i'm gonna check it out with a toyota tech here soon in person so i'll see what he says. local guy in the car scene here.

Also, just ordered some clear front side markers and put on some of those fisheye circle mirrors on my side mirrors. When i bought my integra it had them on there and I thought they looked stupid but i got so used to them that I feel blind without them haha.
treehunna is offline  
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Addict
 
mm71522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Inglewood, California
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
           
Garage
To be honest the belt looks like the original. I don't think its ever been replaced by the condition and the way it looks.

Mike
'02 AR IS300; M98 L-Tuned
TOKICO HP/TANABE NF210

ENKEI KOJIN 18X8.5+35/9.5+30
---------------------------------
DIY: Nav+Aftermarket HU
DIY: Timing Belt

My Thread
mm71522 is offline  
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Cherisher
 
blkdout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,800
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
           
I've never heard of a visual inspection for a timing belt. Replace it at the recommended mileage or if you don't know, change it anyway and document the mileage. I keep a pen and pocket-notepad in my glove box for this kind of thing.

We have an interference engine so it's wise to be safe.

'03 Wagon - Stock
'02 Sedan - Not Stock

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
blkdout is offline  
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Plano
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehunna View Post
Well no one told me I just saw from pictures of brand new timing belts from other threads where other people were freaking out about it and they looked exactly like that and everyone was saying that's how they are even brand new.

So i'm still unsure but I'm gonna check it out with a Toyota tech here soon in person so I'll see what he says. local guy in the car scene here.
Welcome! That is a great looking car, nice catch finding one with LSD,heated seats and all those keys!

My timing belt had a similar grove in it and I did a lot of the same research you did as well. Came to the same conclusion about the grove being there even on some the new OEM belts. Disregarding the grove your belt still doesn't look like it is in that amazing of shape(did it take a mud bath?!). I would change it for peace of mind, job is pretty easy. It's money spent now or money spent later, or potentially even more money later if the belt snaps since it is of dubious age and condition.

See if you can borrow the crank pulley bolt tool from your Toyota tech friend if he has one to make life easier since if it is the first t-belt change for the car then that bolt is not going to want to come off at all. I've seen people use a chain vice grip and the accessory belt wrapped around the pulley to hold it if you want to try that route instead.

You can also go to MyLexus, create an account, and add in your cars VIN. It will show you all the maintenance done at a Lexus dealer(and sometimes Toyota) including the timing belt change(90k mile service) if there was one.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

2002 Intensa Blue Pearl SportCross - 170K miles

Lexus Sportcross and Altezza Gita Facebook Owners Group
Trendie is offline  
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendie View Post
Welcome! That is a great looking car, nice catch finding one with LSD,heated seats and all those keys!

My timing belt had a similar grove in it and I did a lot of the same research you did as well. Came to the same conclusion about the grove being there even on some the new OEM belts. Disregarding the grove your belt still doesn't look like it is in that amazing of shape(did it take a mud bath?!). I would change it for peace of mind, job is pretty easy. It's money spent now or money spent later, or potentially even more money later if the belt snaps since it is of dubious age and condition.

See if you can borrow the crank pulley bolt tool from your Toyota tech friend if he has one to make life easier since if it is the first t-belt change for the car then that bolt is not going to want to come off at all. I've seen people use a chain vice grip and the accessory belt wrapped around the pulley to hold it if you want to try that route instead.

You can also go to MyLexus, create an account, and add in your cars VIN. It will show you all the maintenance done at a Lexus dealer(and sometimes Toyota) including the timing belt change(90k mile service) if there was one.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do
Yeah I think I'm going to take it to a different friend who used to do amazing work on my Honda. He works at a local shop but isn't particularly a Toyota tech but he's definitely a good mechanic.

I did plug my vin in there and saw maintenance up until 2007, i think up til around 50-70k miles, can't remember exactly.

But I plan on getting it done next thursday or friday as that's as early as he can get to it. I've inspected the teeth multiple times after driving on different occasions and there hasn't been any signs other than the belt itself looking faded so I'm hoping it's not too long of a wait.

And thanks, it was slightly pricey but I figured i would probably never find another semi low miled one that had new tires and rotors and the seats, tranny, lsd, and a good color and everything still stock and what not so I decided to do it haha. I'm in love with it so far, seriously.

It handles amazingly compared to my integra and the interior is great quality. The torque is awesome as well as the tranny and engine, i was shocked at how smooth it really was.

I think I want to do L-tuned suspension with spacers on the stock wheels. I'm just worried I will still feel floaty possibly? I like feeling connected but don't want my car crashing over bumps like my integra slammed on coilovers.

Pic of my teg for the hell of it attached. Function and form coilovers, lip, civic SI exhaust, and wheels. Want more function this time around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	integralol.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	93906  
treehunna is offline  
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
So we went in to do the timing belt. Finally after getting everything off, we saw 0 signs of wear on the belt especially with the lettering still intact. We saw green coolant. And we saw an NTN pulley. And the orangeish brown color wiped right off of the belt. This was the toyota tech i was with so he's seen a few timing belts.

At that point we both kinda concluded that it had been changed and I should just check up on it for wear signs and wait until the normal interval or a bit before if i'm paranoid. Nothing at that time was leaking either, although he said the rear main seal had a very very slow, not enough to even remotely worry about leak. Other than that everything was solid. So looks like I'll wait another 20-40k miles depending on how the belt wears.

Still got my clear sidemarkers coming in as well as yellow fog film. I cleaned up my headlights the other day and they look brand new. Might order red taillight vinyl soon too. Not sure what I want to do first that will actually cost money... like wheels vs suspension vs sway bars etc.

So there's my update!
treehunna is offline  
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
           
I would just keep an eye on it. This thread made me go check mine and I dont have any of the dirt and grime in there that you do. Any idea where that is coming from?

2004 IS300 Eshift
BRZ 4.1 LSD - 18x8.5 Evo X Enkei's - Koni
- Tein - Stoptech - EBC - Tanabe
Thread: https://my.is/forums/f219/tvl3rds-2004-is300-565586/
tvl3rd is offline  
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvl3rd View Post
I would just keep an eye on it. This thread made me go check mine and I dont have any of the dirt and grime in there that you do. Any idea where that is coming from?
No idea, as it's been all covered up. It's just a straight orangish film/dust. I can wipe it right off with my thumb.

And yeah I'm definitely gonna check up on it here and there. It's just that it wasn't even cracking at all around the gears or anything and all the teeth are still intact and textured. And then the coolant and non toyota pulley. So yeah
treehunna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IS300 auto shift whistle Khan_man General Discussion 3 02-19-2016 03:17 PM
2002 Is300 GGP 5spd From Socal Inland Empire maxleal.jp New Member Introductions 2 02-17-2016 04:15 AM
Newb with 2002 IS300 Base Model Piggity New Member Introductions 6 01-25-2016 02:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome