How to get rid of tiny brown dots on car - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How to get rid of tiny brown dots on car

i have noticed on my white lexus is350 that there are very very tiny brown/yellow dots that are very hard to get off. They don't come off with soap, and they didn't come up with a wax I put on. The only way they come on is if i use my nail and scratch it a lil bit, but there are too many to take off liek this. Does anybody have this problem and what is a good way to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wonder if a good clay bar could fix your problem.. you should check it out!

2002 GGP 5spd Daily Driven
SRT|WORK|STANCE|OBX|HKS|FIGS|RALCO|KENWOOD|MMSport|AAC
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Enthusiast

here read this site, I did a quick search and found this site:

Using a Clay Bar to Remove Paint Contamination

2002 GGP 5spd Daily Driven
SRT|WORK|STANCE|OBX|HKS|FIGS|RALCO|KENWOOD|MMSport|AAC

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

its tiny little pieces of metal stuck in the paint, rusting. Known as rail dust. A good clay block should remove them. Be sure to apply a quality wax afterwards.

The irrational part of me loves to think that my favorite vices (mnt dew, red meat and beer) have helped me build a super brain.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have a crystal white IS, and I've found MeGuire's cleaner wax and micro fiber works well for me for removing those tiny red/brown/black dots. Less intrusive than a claybar.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Follower

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01iS3oo View Post
here read this site, I did a quick search and found this site:

Using a Clay Bar to Remove Paint Contamination
Actually that was a pretty good article! I used to detail cars for over 6 years...and clay bar-ing a car SUCKS! That's the worst thing I can think about doing...it takes FOREVER (if you do it right) and it's VERY tedious! I'm actually clay bar-ing my Crystal White IS right now...and it just reminded me how much I HATTTTTE it!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

would you guys recommend i try that wax johnny is talking about.. or is claybar my only option ?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd848 View Post
would you guys recommend i try that wax johnny is talking about.. or is claybar my only option ?
Just bite the bullet and claybar it...

2004 CWP IS300
AR5
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Deity

Quote:
Dood. Think about it. I'm telling you that it works. Even if I am wrong, what's the worst scenario? You waxed your car? There is nothing to lose. The wax is like $9.99 at walmart. Go to Costco, spend $15 and buy 20 pcs of microfiber and be done with it. This will take care of 90% of those tiny black/brown dots, or at least it did for me. The remaining 10%, yeah, claybar. The only thing is maybe it is easier for me as all of my black/brown dots are not old, as I always clean them before they get really old (ie a few quarter). Also, even if you Claybar, you'll still need the wax and microfiber afterwards, so it is not like you're wasting your money or limiting your option by waxing first. Stop looking for an definitive answer on the internet from a bunch of amatuers. Go out and try something for yourself.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Follower

Damn man...amateurs...? I actually have detailed for over 6 years so I do know what I'm talking about. But I guess I should've clarified... IF you're a fanatic, have the patience, or etc...claybar-ing your car and then adding a nice coat of wax will ALWAYS look better than just a wax alone (especially if the car has metallic fallout in the paint and has never been claybar-ed). Just my opinion...

2004 CWP IS300
AR5
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

that cleaner wax mentioned really worked! thanks man!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharms View Post
Damn man...amateurs...? I actually have detailed for over 6 years so I do know what I'm talking about. But I guess I should've clarified... IF you're a fanatic, have the patience, or etc...claybar-ing your car and then adding a nice coat of wax will ALWAYS look better than just a wax alone (especially if the car has metallic fallout in the paint and has never been claybar-ed). Just my opinion...
Present company excepted. Didn't mean anything by it. With the exception of you, I think everyone else here in an amateur (myself included). I was just speaking in general terms and wasn't referring to you. I am the one that should have been more careful. I was posting on the fly if you know what I mean. You know how the internet is sometimes. Often you get amateurs talking loudly with their keyboard. :D And yes, you're right. Claybar WILL look better. It is also much more labor intensive as you stated. I wasn't sure the op wanted to get that involved since to me it seemed his intent was to get rid of black/brown dots, and not necessarily make his car look brand spanking new. :D

Last edited by Johnnysks; 07-17-2008 at 10:17 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Deity

Quote:
that cleaner wax mentioned really worked! thanks man!
Glad it worked for you. Nothing like trying something for yourself and proving it to yourself, especially when the down side is ..... not much? :D
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysks View Post
Present company excepted. Didn't mean anything by it. With the exception of you, I think everyone else here in an amateur (myself included). I was just speaking in general terms and wasn't referring to you. I am the one that should have been more careful. I was posting on the fly if you know what I mean. You know how the internet is sometimes. Often you get amateurs talking loudly with their keyboard. :D And yes, you're right. Claybar WILL look better. It is also much more labor intensive as you stated. I wasn't sure the op wanted to get that involved since to me it seemed his intent was to get rid of black/brown dots, and not necessarily make his car look brand spanking new. :D
No hard feelings!

2004 CWP IS300
AR5
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Lurker

I have those yellow/brown spots on my car too, everyone in my neighborhood does, they're from the trees in my 'hood and i worry they're gonna eat my paint... can anyone recommend a good protective wax/ polish? Something that will act as a barrier? i used wax on the GTI, and they ate right through it and made the paint all dull and chalky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Off Topic > The Car Wash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page