User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Buying Nav system for non Nav IS250

Hello,

I was looking to get my Pioneer AVIC-D3 installed in my car & was quoted obscene prices to install it ($500-$1000)
After that, I was also looking into buying the whole Nav system assembly for the Lexus (TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY, RADIO/CD CHANGER, CLOCK ASSEMBLY, NAVIGATION ECU WITH MAP DVD AND GPS ANTENNA) & having it installed...has anyone here done this? How involved is it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 View Post
Hello,

I was looking to get my Pioneer AVIC-D3 installed in my car & was quoted obscene prices to install it ($500-$1000)
After that, I was also looking into buying the whole Nav system assembly for the Lexus (TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY, RADIO/CD CHANGER, CLOCK ASSEMBLY, NAVIGATION ECU WITH MAP DVD AND GPS ANTENNA) & having it installed...has anyone here done this? How involved is it? Thanks
The install would be completely custom, so those prices aren't surprising.

To swap in the whole nav system OEM you'd be looking for like $2500 in just parts, if you can find a good deal. And you'd end up with a lot less capability than an aftermarket system.

(the OEM system cripples itself while in drive unless you hack the wiring which I suppose you might as well do if installing yourself, the OEM system can't do realtime traffic or any of the other realtime services offered in aftermarket units, and the OEM system runs $300 a year to update maps, versus usually 50-100 bucks from most aftermarket companies)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

My biggest problem is that I can't find anyone that's "comfortable" in putting an aftermarket in this car...if I had to pay $500 for the install but the person/shop completely knew what they were doing, that's one thing...the shops I've spoken with haven't instilled me w/confidence...I get the impression that they could stumble through it but from i've read, it's no joke as far as installation goes...I live in Bergen County, NJ if anyone knows of any shops remotely in my area that's done this before PLEASE let me know...thanks

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 AM

I have a solution...

Well...this will be my first post in this forum since I felt that I have something very special to show you all. To those IS fanatics who are interested in installing an aftermarket NAV in the IS and are too afraid of the quality of the work, then I have the perfect shop for you. I just got my IS out of the shop today and the unit looks SWEET! They did an excellent job customizing the job and making it look very OEM. Unfortunately, the shop is in SOCAL but well worth the drive if you are 50 miles away from San Gabriel Valley. I will post pics sometime this week once I have some time on my hand. Stay tune....you will not be dissapointed.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 View Post
Hello,

Like the person said above me $500-$1000 IS PROBABLY A GOOD PRICE! If the Installer seemed unsure then I would prob take it somewhere else. If they were a good installer and worked with fiber glass much they would seem confident.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Pioneer Avic-Z2 Installed!!! Photos included.

Here are the photos that I promised you guys. I would definitely recommend the shop. Honest, fair ($$$) and extremely knowledgeable. PM me and I'll tell you the name of the owner and the installer. They'll hook you up good if you said I referred you!

Buying Nav system for non Nav IS250-dsc03678.jpg

Buying Nav system for non Nav IS250-dsc03680.jpg

Buying Nav system for non Nav IS250-dsc03681.jpg

Buying Nav system for non Nav IS250-dsc03682.jpg
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM

That looks pretty good it doesn't look like they glassed much. How does it sound? Did you change any of the audio equipment or keep the stock spkrs?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Lurker

I know with an OEM setup you're giving up some "real time" features and other stuff, but man...I feel like I got a steal on my factory navigation for less than $2500 last week if you guys are paying over $1000 for the install...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Where can you find the factory nav equipment? Junk yard? Ordered from the dealership?

Thanks!
Matt

08 IS 250 Non-Nav
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
Where can you find the factory nav equipment? Junk yard? Ordered from the dealership?

Thanks!
Matt

08 IS 250 Non-Nav
One of my friends is planning on doing this sometime in the future..
She said that there are a lot of factor NAV's on E-bay.
Also, it is possible to install b/c one of her friends did it.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM

I saw a few on ebay for 3k. Wondering if that is about the going rate... Gonna start checking around.

Matt
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Upgrading your car might cost you only 3k. I just switched my car and I ended paying 5K for a car with 10K less mileage, IS250->IS350, factory nav and all the bells and whistles.

Avic install is pretty easy to do yourself but you just need fiberglass work to get the trim looking nice like the pics above. I would not recommend D3. I had a Z3 and it was a lot nicer. But the new Avics are even better. Wiring is easy to do. It is the trim around the nav to make it look nice.

2007 IS350 Obsidian, Luxury, NAV, Park Assist, ISP Wheels, Lexus HKS Exhaust, GFX, Spoiler, Headlamp Washers, Rear Sunshades.

Lexus Mods: FSport Shift Knob, FSport Rear Sway Bar.

Non-Lexus Mods: Alpine M450, Alpine Type-R Sub, VAIS SL2vi, Nav hack with switch.

Future Mods: FSport Springs, FSport Shocks.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 PM

The install will require you to retain the factory stereo system in the glove in order for the a/c and climate control functions to work. The install was only $300 at my place. They know how to do it right with nice vinyl work to cover the gaps on the side. Mine was a Z2. Sounds tight and so much better than the factory. Only negative thing is how low it is but doesnt bother me anymore.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM

i got my installed to..it came out really nice...u dont have to put the factory radio in the glove box...i took the circuit board out of the factory radio and put it behind the unit...everything work good the ac..the climate control...i will post the pic when i have a chance
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Frequenter

I am getting a AVN6620 Eclipse customly installed in my Dash. If anyone lives in LA. I can help you out. Send me a message :D

IS350
Eyelids
10% Tints
HKS Hi-Power Exhaust
Custom Carbon Fiber Intake
Black Rims with Red Calipers
LED Day Lights and Side Mirror Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page