Added a sub to stock system killed my Alternator. - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Added a sub to stock system killed my Alternator.

2 weeks ago I had a shop install a single 12 JL Audio W3 with a 1000 watt Fosgate amp and 2 farad capacitor.
Install was tied into the stock amp in the trunk.

Now is it just a coincidence that my stock alternator is now fried or did they install something incorrectly or was the setup just too much for the stock alternator to handle?

2006 Lexus Is350.

Just replaced the fried alternator with a new one, question is, do I play my music now or disconnect.
I don't want this problem to happen again, the removal & install on that alternator sucked.

I didn't think one 12 with a 1000 watt amp would pull that much to kill the alternator, maybe it was just time the stock 2006 alternator took a dump or do you think the capacitor may have led to it as I have heard mixed reviews on them having a negative affect on the alternator. Or maybe a bad ground on the install?

Should I do the "Big 3", remove the cap or just take the beat out all together.

Whatcha guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

I would have just taken it out...I had subs and all before...takes up trunk space when you already have a small trunk. Plus the stock system is way better than most cars already. Now when I see people with subs driving with passengers, in my head, I'm like, "Man, sucks that you either have to scream at your passenger for them to hear you or you have to turn down your system to talk."

Wanna go faster? Press the gas pedal harder!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)

I fried the rectifier in my IS300 in a couple weeks using an old school amp with a few subs wired pretty low impedance. I would guess something similar where the amp was drawing too much current for too long. They can either turn down the gain on the amp, change wiring so its higher impedance (if dual coil sub), or amp might have something that limits current draw like a high voltage/high current setting.

Personally, what I hate about most stock systems is that 40-100hz is over-emphasized. Because most OEM speakers aren't physically capable of handling down to 20 hz effortlessly they make it seem more 'bassy' by adding more bass in a higher range where the smaller speakers can handle. So even though most factory systems sound pretty decent modern digital signal processing, the low end is still painful to me and I get wanting to put in a 12" sub. infinite baffle setup however is what I prefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlack350 View Post
2 weeks ago I had a shop install a single 12 JL Audio W3 with a 1000 watt Fosgate amp and 2 farad capacitor.
Install was tied into the stock amp in the trunk.

Now is it just a coincidence that my stock alternator is now fried or did they install something incorrectly or was the setup just too much for the stock alternator to handle?

2006 Lexus Is350.

Just replaced the fried alternator with a new one, question is, do I play my music now or disconnect.
I don't want this problem to happen again, the removal & install on that alternator sucked.

I didn't think one 12 with a 1000 watt amp would pull that much to kill the alternator, maybe it was just time the stock 2006 alternator took a dump or do you think the capacitor may have led to it as I have heard mixed reviews on them having a negative affect on the alternator. Or maybe a bad ground on the install?

Should I do the "Big 3", remove the cap or just take the beat out all together.

Whatcha guys think?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Does your radio turn off and on randomly now that you took them out? I have a 2010 250 IS, the person who had it before me had some but took them out when they sold it to me and now my radio will turn off and on randomly. Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonIs300 View Post
I would have just taken it out...I had subs and all before...takes up trunk space when you already have a small trunk. Plus the stock system is way better than most cars already. Now when I see people with subs driving with passengers, in my head, I'm like, "Man, sucks that you either have to scream at your passenger for them to hear you or you have to turn down your system to talk."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 60 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danipoo View Post
Does your radio turn off and on randomly now that you took them out? I have a 2010 250 IS, the person who had it before me had some but took them out when they sold it to me and now my radio will turn off and on randomly. Any ideas?
Check the power wire to the deck and the ground wire. If it's loose and isn't connected correctly, then it's just connecting and disconnecting a lot. If that does happen, you are likely to fry your deck. Fix it before that does happen.

Wanna go faster? Press the gas pedal harder!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Do you have you take the whole face off? Or is it the wires connected to the battery? All the wiring for the subs and amp are still connected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Mobiletronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page