Leather Care for Perforated Seats? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Leather Care for Perforated Seats?

Looking for some advice (and yes I searched before I posted).

What do you folks recommend for Leather care for the Heated/Ventilated seats in the IS250/350?

I have always McGuiars Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on my non-perforated leather seats, but that stuff is really pastey and I am concerned that it will get stuck in the perforations on my IS.

Thanks - Slick Speed

2007 IS250 / OB / Cashmere / HID's / Lux / X-package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Leather care

I'm exactly in the same boat.
Would appreciate hearing what y'all think.

Also what about using sheep skin seat covers during the summer
and/or winter? Comments?

Thanks

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Speed View Post
Looking for some advice (and yes I searched before I posted).

What do you folks recommend for Leather care for the Heated/Ventilated seats in the IS250/350?

I have always McGuiars Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on my non-perforated leather seats, but that stuff is really pastey and I am concerned that it will get stuck in the perforations on my IS.

Thanks - Slick Speed

2007 IS250 / OB / Cashmere / HID's / Lux / X-package
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Fiend

I'll try to put my two cents in.. I hope it helps!

I ride horses so I am really knowledgeable when it comes to leather care. I mean, hello, saddle, bridle, boots, ect and I believe those are harder to keep in "great care" than what you sit your butt on everyday and we can't have our saddles/boots/ect. be sticky.

If you are willing to order something online, hop on over to Leather Care - Dover Saddlery

I usually use cleaner, conditioner [to lightly condition] and then to really keep my riding leather supple, healthy, and comfortable [and it doesn't get gross, promise], we use leather oil. Conditioner will generally make your leather "stickier" while oil will make it more smooth [makes sense huh?] You just have to really ensure you use a VERY small amount of oil. I use about a tablespoon for my entire saddle. We usually oil saddles when we first get them to supple the leather.

Make sure you don't get anything that says "wax" on it. Us equestrians use this "wax" to give us grip on our saddle so our legs don't slide around.

If you are just looking to pick some up locally, at like a grocery store, Lexol CLEANER will do the trick. The conditioner may make it tiny 'sticky', not too sure. I usually use local brands that I know work beautifully so if you really were desperate I could have some shipped to you because they work absolute wonders.

Instructions on how to use each:
-Cleaner: Wet your sponge and the wring it out and wipe down your seat/leather. Rewet sponge and wring out to where it is damp. Spray/apply cleaner onto SPONGE. This will be easier on your leather than just spraying straight onto the leather itself. Knead the sponge so the water and cleaner mix [don't get it too foamy] and then just gently wipe down your leather. The purpose of many leather cleaners are to remove grim, and unless you are using your IS as a mud vehicle, you don't want to overdo it so it doesn't dry out. Once you're done wiping it down, do not let it sit! Wash out your sponge and wipe clean. Then towel dry with a microfiber cloth/lent free cloth.

You will either next apply conditioner OR oil. Not both.

Conditioner: Pour a very small amount onto sponge and work into dry leather. Let sit for about ten minutes then buff with a towel.

Oil: Pour a small bit of oil onto your fingertips. Your fingers will apply it better than any sponge/cloth out there so you can work it into cracks as well as your fingers won't hold the oil like a sponge will, so there isn't really anyway to overdo the oil. Work oil into dry leather really ensuring you massage it in to were the leather "drinks" it up, otherwise you will just have pools of oil sitting on your car seat. Let sit for about ten minutes and then buff with a towel.

Tomorrow I will update and speak to some representatives on what soaps/conditioners will be the best, considering it's 1am right now. :D

Hydrophane is the best oil you can get.

I hope this helps some. My riding tack goes through hell and back and it still looks great, but that may mean that the cleansers I use may be overkill.

2006 MRM IS350: Rocket Bunny | HKS Supercharger | Artisan Spirits | Wald | Origin Labo | CUSCO | HRE

2015 MRM NX200t

Team Apokalypse

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:34 AM

I have used Lexol-ph and Hyde Food (more work) for years and they both work great. Follow the directions and you will good to go.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM

I had the same question. Why take a chance though. Just go to the Lexus dealer and buy whatever they recommend. You can't go wrong if it's from their shop. You might pay more but why risk it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Lexol! just follow the directions on the back of the bottle...

-Mike
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Frequenter

Hmmm good question, If it were me, and I could be way off, but whatever leather cleaner/conditioner you use (Zymol etc) rub it into a microfiber or shirt real good and don't try to put so much on or cover too much area at once and you should get a nice even coat without filling in the holes! Definately don't spray the seats!!!
Good luck and let me know what you end up doing

My New 86!
02 IBP 5speed with Factory LSD
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Zaino Z9 for cleaning and Z10 for conditioning. Can't go wrong and it smells like a million bucks.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Ninja?

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (with ALOE) in SPRAY form.

©2006 my.IS
2015 F32 w/ N55 Alpine White
DO SUSPENSION FIRST!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Lurker

Don't you just have it when little specs of dirt get into the holes, it really shows up with black seats
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayotik View Post
Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (with ALOE) in SPRAY form.
Hey, me too! That's exactly what I use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popz3210 View Post
Don't you just have it when little specs of dirt get into the holes, it really shows up with black seats
Never quite had that problem, but yes, that would suck. How much dirt did you have to get on there to see this?

LILI - 2006 IS250 MT MRM w/ Navigation System / Mark Levinson® Package / Sport Package
6K Lows & Fogs | 8K Halos | VIP Puddles | Full LED Conversion | Satin Black Headlights & Fogs | F-Sport QuickShifter & 19" Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 235/35 F & 275/30 R | GFX Front & Rear | SL2i-Up + Spec.Dock
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Under House Arrest

simple Lexyol, makes the dash come to life to!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM

I have spent hours trying to find an answer. The Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner says that it can be applied on Perforated Leather, so I am guessing that it would be ok. Any luck finding the answer? I need something to protect the car against any baby's accidents....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > Showroom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page