Wet Sanding works on car paint and headlight scratches & oxidation - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wet Sanding works on car paint and headlight scratches & oxidation

Youtube has plenty of videos on wet sanding your car paint and headlights to remove scratches and restore them. I was skeptic at first and was planning on spending $$$$$ to have body shop fix my paint scratches and headlights but I'm so glad I took the route to fix them all myself with very little out of my pocket.

The real deal was the 5000 grit wet sanding and Meguiar's M105 rubbing compound. I learned that the use of 5000 grit wet sanding is >>> MANDATORY <<< Without using 5000 grit the paint finish looked like crap. I could see all swirl sanding marks no matter how many times I tried to cover up with rubbing compound and wax. For headlights you don't need 5000 grit but for car paint it is required.

My '07 IS350 had some deep scratches and my front and rear bumpers were worst shape, they virtually lost clear coat and were covered with scratches down to the paint. The door side had some deep scratches as well.

To my surprise wet sanding with 2500 grit and 5000 grit did the trick. I didn't have 3000 grit so I used 2500 instead. Wet soapy sanding with 5000 grit on the paint enabled my Meguiar's M105 compound to do its magic. I did not have rotary buffing machine, all was done by hand.

Here are the videos of my progress. I am very pleased with the result.

My headlights had yellow tint and filled with scratches and fine cracks they looked awful. But they have been restored to near factory condition with wet sanding (up to 2000 grit) + M105 compound + Swirl Remover 2.0 + wax

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles

Last edited by Cheez; 10-19-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page