• 1 Post By TobiasSing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

passenger side HID

last night i noticed that my passenger side HID was discolored. when i first turned on my lights, i saw a consistent blueish beam/line in front of me. yesterday, i noticed that the left half of the beam/line was blueish (normal) and the right side of the beam/line wasn't blue, but more redish. i got out to look at it and it didn't seem as if the HID was out, but maybe starting to fail. this morning, i pulled into the garage spot and i noticed that the right side redish light was missing from the beam that shines on the wall and when i got out of the car, i was able to confirm that the light was out. maybe it finally died or maybe it turns on/off on its own while it is getting ready to permanently fail.

2013 is250

my questions are:

1- how can i confirm if it is the ballast or the bulb?
1a- if it is the bulb, are those easy to change? i've changed standard bulbs, but never an HID bulb.
2- how easy of a DIY project is this? i realize this is a relative question, but i figured i would still ask. i don't do my own maintenance and i know that some of the ballasts are located in areas that require bumper removal, etc...
3- if i do this on my own or have a shop take care of it for me, does it make sense to change out the driver side ballast (assuming it is a ballast) while they are changing out the passenger side?

i will browse the forum, google and youtube, but i figured it would be a good idea to ask, as well.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)

Definitely sounds like a bad bulb and will need replacing (make sure to get genuine bulbs from a reputable source). Good idea to replace them both at once so they match. Replacing the bulb is as easy as any other, just have to get to it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
Definitely sounds like a bad bulb and will need replacing (make sure to get genuine bulbs from a reputable source). Good idea to replace them both at once so they match. Replacing the bulb is as easy as any other, just have to get to it.
how can i confirm if it is the bulb or the ballast? put the driver side bulb in the passenger side and see if the problem persists?

which source do you/my.is recommend for bulb replacement?

thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Mr. Roo

Yes, you can swap the bulbs over with each other and test that way. It just sounds like a bulb problem , based on experience. OEM bulbs can be bought from The Retrofit Source, Lightwerkz, etc
TomDlgns likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
Yes, you can swap the bulbs over with each other and test that way. It just sounds like a bulb problem , based on experience. OEM bulbs can be bought from The Retrofit Source, Lightwerkz, etc
thanks. i took the bulb out and copied the info, i'll look online.

osram xenarc d4s 35w 66440

i'm fine with keeping the same style bulb, i'm not looking for brighter/different color.

i found these on amazon (i'd buy two), but i can't wait that long, i'll look elsewhere. although, this time of year will likely have shipping delays, it may not matter where i buy.

edit-

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4...arc-66440.html

Last edited by TomDlgns; 12-18-2018 at 08:25 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Mr. Roo

Oh snap, I didn't realize it uses D4S. Yeah not many options for that compared to the usual D2S. I'd avoid amazon and just get them straight from TRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page