User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My Brake Squeaks/Knocks when Not Braking

Guyz I replaced the brake pads (all four) myself cause it was making squeaking noise when I brake. I replaced the worn out pads with an OEM set of Lexus/Toyota brake pads.

Ever since I got them replaced it starting making repetitive "vic vic vic vic" noise when I drive into parking lot. This happens when brake is not applied. When brake is applied the noise goes away. At high speeds it's hardly noticeable probably cause of wind/road noise is greater. Found out that the noise has been coming from the right front brake.

So I watched youtube videos and did some google search for causes for brake squeaks.
Ah! I need to grease the brakes more!
So I removed the brake caliper slider pin, anti-rattle spring, and brake pads. I removed the brake shims and decided to not put them back on cause the metal hooks on the edge were broken off. I greased all parts (slider pin, anti-rattle spring, backside of brake pads and around the edge). Put all the parts back together and test drove. The squeak "vic vic vic" went away... but now I hear metal to metal knocking sound. It's a lower pitch sound, and makes this noise when brake is NOT applied. This is really annoying. I was worried that maybe one of my brake caliper pistons seized or gone bad and therefore the brake pads aren't seating properly? This would cost me a lot of money to replace the whole thing.

Before I went about giving up I made one last try by putting the shims back together..... Greased them real good all moving/rubbing metal contact or friction points in the brake just like I did last time.

I test drove again and finally the knocking noise gone! No squeaks, no "vic vic vic", no knocking!

I will report back for an update if the noise comes back or not. so far so good

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles

Last edited by Cheez; 10-30-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Follower

The knocking sound when not applying brakes came back. It's even louder now, and can hear louder and louder at highway speeds. The only time it shuts up is when I apply the brakes, light to medium doesn't matter.

This is really annoying. What else in the brake is wrong then? I don't know if any of the pistons in the brake caliper is bad or not cause when I brake the car stops evenly without pulling off to the side or anything. I am tired... I worked on the brake for 10 times now.

cheez

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Follower

I can't think of anything else other than brake caliper that failed and causing such noise. Obviously the brake pad(s) on the right front brake system is hitting something inside the brake caliper, hence the brake pads are not seating properly. I could only guess the brake piston(s) have failed? This goes back to my original problem. It's been making brake noise when I got this car @ 135k miles.

If it is bad brake line then I would not get braking power on the right front and the car would push off to the side when braking but my car goes straight so I doubt it's the brake line nor brake fluid being clogged at the valve on the brake line.

My guess is that my brake caliper is hossed..... Well i'm broke right now so I can't afford a new brake caliper I would have to pick one up from Ebay for an used one later.

Last edited by Cheez; 10-30-2016 at 04:20 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
double check all the bolts obviously, make sure none are broken
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Found the problem

Turned out it was the bad pistons in the caliper.

I removed the brake pads and pumped the brakes. One of the pistons on the left was exposed and filled with rust. It lost rubber boot coverage you can see that it was torn/damaged. It's full of rust in that piston. I tested the brake again and actually both pistons are shot...they are filled with rust and rubber seal was broken. The piston on the right side of the caliper are fine and functional.

Bad brake caliper

Last edited by Cheez; 10-31-2016 at 03:02 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Follower

I checked the brake line hose and valve and they are working dandy. No sign of clog. Brake fluid color is normal too. Brake caliper needs to be replaced.

I could not get the brake caliper to come off. Those two 17mm bolts are on there tight and seized up. It is also hard to get to the bolts there is not enough clearance to do much work. I am not sure what tool would be good to remove those bolts.

There is more serious problem.

Those two pistons seized. I could not retract them to put my brake pad back in no matter what I tried. The pistons on the right side of the caliper however were easy to retract. I started panicking how will I drive my car now without the brake pad?
I had no choice but to leave out the brake pad on the failed side of the pistons and put the pad back on the other side. So the brake pressure will only go against the rotor on one side.. I was worried if the seized pistons will touch the rotor and cause screams. I test drove it to see what it feels like and I did not get scream... but my brake power lost by 30%.

I will need to order a replacement brake caliper and perhaps have a shop remove those bolts from the caliper for me. This is getting so much headache.

Last edited by Cheez; 10-31-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Ok I did a longer test drive (15 min not 5 min this time) and the seized pistons do touch the rotor when braking and makes scraping noise now. It needs a brake caliper replacement ASAP. Wish I could remove the caliper myself though... those bolts are on there good and seized. An used right front caliper at ebay is going for $95. I don't know how much a shop will charge me for removing the caliper and don't know if they will do just that.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:05 AM
Lurker

Garage
good info on here, thanks for sharing. I feel sure this will help someone. good job on the thread! thanks again
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLT Strategies View Post
good info on here, thanks for sharing. I feel sure this will help someone. good job on the thread! thanks again
Thank you for the kind words TLT Strategies. As much as I hate having problems coming to me with my car I am also happy to share my experiences and be of any help to others who have similar problems. The guys at clublexus on how-to have been great help to me too. I got the new (re-built/re-conditioned) brake caliper, more powerful tool (to remove stubborn bolts), and a PB blaster ordered from Amazon last night. I'm gonna try to remove the bad caliper myself. I'll get the new parts either this Friday or beginning of next week. I'll keep ya guys updated.

Last edited by Cheez; 11-01-2016 at 08:19 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Thank you for the kind words TLT Strategies. As much as I hate having problems coming to me with my car I am also happy to share my experiences and be of any help to others who have similar problems. The guys at clublexus on how-to have been great help to me too. I got the new (re-built/re-conditioned) brake caliper, more powerful tool (to remove stubborn bolts), and a PB blaster ordered from Amazon last night. I'm gonna try to remove the bad caliper myself. I'll get the new parts either this Friday or beginning of next week. I'll keep ya guys updated.
Pretty easy job removing the caliper. Make sure to have a flatblade screwdriver nearby or a small prybar tool to pry that caliper off the pads. It's a lot easier with leverage than to use your hands & also..to make things easier for yourself, pinch the brake line off going to it (clamp pliers, lock pliers) . It will make things easier in the end with making a mess and when you go to bleed the system. I can't remember on our cars if theres a nut on the other side side of the caliper (rotor side) but when you go to remove those two bolts that hold the caliper onto the bracket a wrench may be needed to hold those nuts from turning. I did brakes on a suburban this weekend and I had my air ratchet but the nuts just kept spinning. Needed a wrench to hold the nut then back the bolt out of the pin. normal problems

When you remove the caliper and install the new one, a word of advice is to grease those caliper pins with brake grease really good to prevent further complications down the road. Also grease the area on the caliper bracket where the brake pads fit into. (the little notched groove) This all helps
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLT Strategies View Post
Pretty easy job removing the caliper. Make sure to have a flatblade screwdriver nearby or a small prybar tool to pry that caliper off the pads. It's a lot easier with leverage than to use your hands & also..to make things easier for yourself, pinch the brake line off going to it (clamp pliers, lock pliers) . It will make things easier in the end with making a mess and when you go to bleed the system. I can't remember on our cars if theres a nut on the other side side of the caliper (rotor side) but when you go to remove those two bolts that hold the caliper onto the bracket a wrench may be needed to hold those nuts from turning. I did brakes on a suburban this weekend and I had my air ratchet but the nuts just kept spinning. Needed a wrench to hold the nut then back the bolt out of the pin. normal problems

When you remove the caliper and install the new one, a word of advice is to grease those caliper pins with brake grease really good to prevent further complications down the road. Also grease the area on the caliper bracket where the brake pads fit into. (the little notched groove) This all helps
Thanks for the clamping idea on the brake line hose. I will do that.
My IS350 caliper is large and the two bolts hiding on the inner side of the caliper are a bit difficult to get to. There is not much clearance and room for me to work with.. those bolts seem to be stuck / seized but doesn't seem to have rust.

Update: the caliper will arrive this Thursday (tomorrow) but the 10.7" X-beam wrench is coming this Saturaday... the PB blaster won't come till Monday (unless UPS delivers earlier than Amazon's expected delivery date).

Last edited by Cheez; 11-02-2016 at 08:57 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Caliper replaced and resolved knocking noise

Received the caliper a few days ago. It's a remanufactured part, got it from Amazon. The pistons and rubber seal look new and fresh.

Received my PB Blaster and an 11" 17mm X-beam wrench yesterday to loosen my stuck bolts on caliper.

Sadly the X-beam 17mm wrench was not correct size as the item description. The wrench shows it's 17mm but it's actually 18mm or larger. I didn't find out till I actually rounded the bolts trying to loosen them. I used the closed end of the wrench as it grip tighter on the bolt and was able to remove those bolts. PB blaster helped greatly.

Bad caliper

New caliper installed

Bleed the brake and wheel's put on.

The bleeding at first did not go well at first, turned out I did it the wrong way. I lost all brake pressure due to trap of air inside the system. Received help from youtube assistant and bleed the brake again correctly this time and now I got my pressure back. Brake power is good and effortless. Test drove it and the brake is silky quiet and soft like baby skin now. NO MORE KNOCKING SOUND lol.

Last edited by Cheez; 11-05-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page