My 2006 IS350 got smashed in a hit and run; I'd like a little advice - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2006 IS350 got smashed in a hit and run; I'd like a little advice

Hello all,

I have been a happy owner of an IS350 since 2006 when the second generation was released. Aside from a couple of unexpected repair bills, it has been a happy experience.

It's now my second car, and a little bit worn here and there, but still a solid car which is worth more to me than the bluebook value. But last week while my car was parked on the street, an extremely idiotic drunk driver managed to back into it damaging the left rear quarter panel and nearly taking off the bumper. (He then went on to hit 4 other cars.)

Luckily the idiot managed to hit so much stuff that his front bumper fell off and we have his license plate. So finding him is in process. Unluckily, I no longer have collision on the car, so it's uncertain how much I'll be able to collect from his insurance and it will take a while.

Anyway...to get to the question, the body shop is quoting $3600 to replace the rear quarter panel and bumper. They say they can do a "Bondo" only job for $2000 but no warranty and they don't recommend it.

Does $3600 sound fair for this job? It seems like a lot to me. And what do people think of just doing the "Bondo" job on a car which is already in its later years?

Any thoughts would be very helpful! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:08 AM
Follower

Quoted: 142 Post(s)

$3600 sounds like an accurate price to do a job like that.

I wouldn't get them to bondo the car at all, they could use filler after they welded in a new piece of QP but not bondo.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

I wouldn't recommend the cheaper bondo option either. Replacing the metal is best

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

no body shop wants to do bodywork, at least thats been my experience. they want to slap on new parts and spray. thats how they make their money. alot of shops get caught charging you 1000 for a fender as OEM but slap a china one one. its very common. I too had a front end collision back on the spring. i did every bit of it myself. i replaced the radiator, A/C condenser and did the water pump while i was at it. i havnt finished fixing the front bumper yet but im getting there. the vast majority , id say 75% of owning a car you dont need anyone but yourself. unless you make 100 an hour at work yourself, it never makes since ot have a shop do anything for you outside of real heavy work , or when say for instance, replacing exhaust. sure you can do it yourself, but up on a lift the garage can do it much quicker. you can use your judgment after awhile where the line is on everything. take an oil change. these days, its the only ting ill let someone else do because it cheaper to have them do it then for me to buy everything and take the time to do it.
yes new metal is always best but from a time and money perspective it isn't the primary concern. where the bondo goes, how much ,etc haa to work into the decision. me, id do it all then bring it to them taped primed and sanded and just have them professionally spray and blend.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

A picture would help. Hard to give a opinion blind. I would get a few more estimates.
I would rather repair a quarter panel than replace one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page