User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Extremely Rough Ride on IS350 w/ Lowering Springs

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2006 IS350 with roughly 100K KM on the odo. The car came with F-Sport springs installed, rolling on 18" 3IS F-Sport wheels mounted on Bridgestone Potenza tires (225/40, 255/40). With that setup my IS was already riding extremely rough, while I do understand that the IS350 is a sport sedan with stiffer suspension compared to other luxury sedans, I feel like it rides worse than my 2008 Civic Si that's lowered around 2" with stretched tires. Mainly when I hit a rough patch of road, or cracks/crevices in the road, it almost feels like I'm gonna lose a part of the wheel. Shocks are okay the ride isn't bouncy at all, it just seems to make a lot of noise in the interior and a lot of creaking inside the interior when driving over rough roads, and the ride is extremely harsh.

Few months later, after accepting the fact that this is how it is, I went ahead and installed H&R Sport Springs to improve the stance and handling of the car. I also switched out the summer tires for some Falken Eurowinters (225/40, 245/40). Did an alignment, pumped 35/37 PSI into the tires, and I'm sure the springs have already settled (driven almost 5,000km on them already). At this point the car simply rides like a go-kart, it rides so bad that I simply do not want to take any passengers or they might get car sick. I understand that lowering the car any given amount I will sacrifice ride quality, but forum posts do state that the H&R's shouldn't be too much of a difference from stock, at least not to the point where I feel like I've made a terrible financial decision in purchasing the IS350.

For reference, when I drive over potholes, crevices, highway bumps in my Civic, it's stiff but the car seems to absorb much of the shock, and it really goes unnoticed. Driving over potholes and crevices in my IS, I can feel it in the interior and my door panels and seats will creak and cause a lot of noise.

Is there anything I can do at this point?

Pic of my IS for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0529.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	776.7 KB
ID:	121519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	121521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	121523  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)

well it seems like youve been though a couple set of lowering springs and that isnt the problem. if its truly suspension related, maybe something is up with the shocks/dampers. i wonder if they are not playing nicely with the lowering springs.

personally, i would never waste time with lowering springs when we have as many coilover options as we do. why not upgrade to coilovers?

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:47 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
well it seems like youve been though a couple set of lowering springs and that isnt the problem. if its truly suspension related, maybe something is up with the shocks/dampers. i wonder if they are not playing nicely with the lowering springs.

personally, i would never waste time with lowering springs when we have as many coilover options as we do. why not upgrade to coilovers?
I'm agreeing with mesooohoppy, From my experiences, with my own cars, Lowering Spring on Stock Strut is never good for long, The way you describe your problems it seems that your struts are tired. I've got coilovers on mine with 14k and 10k springs and the ride is firm but good and not painful. Car is not making any strange noises or cracking.. On my other car Im only having lowering springs on stock strut and It is really a disaster, never again

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page