Why should I purchase an IS-F? - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Deity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Not sure if you've made a decision, but I'd agree with the suggestions. Drive them.

I've owned 2 Fs, and now in my 3rd year lease of my DCT M3. I really enjoy the transmission and adjustable suspension. The stock upgraded audio is among the best I've heard. Of course the Lexus is a fierce competitor!

Either way, you're in a blast of a car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

in my opinion not the best car ever but good in almost all categories across the board.

2006 vans black mesh ( current ride )
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir11950 View Post
I'm looking for a sports car. So the obvious competitors are the M3 and C63. Those are both obviously faster but why would I choose the IS-F?

Pros:
Quality
Can keep up with the germans
Cost
Reliability

Cons:
Slowest of the bunch
Can't keep its traction (from what I've heard)

Let me know of any other pros and cons. If I install an LSD, would it help significantly with the traction? Could I modify it to be as quick and sharp as the others?
Thanks
any updates? what did you get?

2011 IS-F- PPE headers-Borla cat back exhaust-HPS intake elbow-FIGS lca bushings

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Patriot

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
I own a C63 and the IS-F just doesn't compare. As far as maintenance, I have spent about $500 on maintenance in the last 20k miles (tires not included). C63s are pretty much bulletproof. The sound and torque from the M156 6.2L V8 are so much more than anything the IS-F can dream of. Drive both and you decide.

2004 Black Onyx 5 speed
Koni | Eibach | SRT | Megan | Apex'i | ACT | Fidanza | Mizu | Ralco | PLP | Figs | Valentine One

2010 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, 426 rwhp

VFA-11 The Red Rippers
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger08 View Post
The cost of a used IS F...is now about the same cost... that an IS300 was brand new

Digger08
Please point one out so I can buy one. lol. Wish this were true. I will say they hold good value.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Guru

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredo View Post
Please point one out so I can buy one. lol. Wish this were true. I will say they hold good value.
Its quite a simple statement.

If you bought an IS300 brand new in 2001 the price creeped into 40 K in the US and mine was about 45K Cnd.

A 2008 IS F should be had today in the low 40's to mid 30's depending on mileage.

Digger08

2008 IS F Series 2/ Mercury Metallic 1F2/ Joe Z/ aFe/ Garax 6K/ Volk VR G2 19"/ F-Sport Rear Sway/ ISS Forged DES/ BCR/ Beatsonic
2012 CT200h Fire Agate Pearl
2001 IS300 Solar Yellow -SOLD
2001 IS300 Black Onyx -STOLTed - SOLD
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Lurker

ISF built for track. world’s fastest shift time for street legal production cars. At 0.1 second, it’s faster than you.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 AM

One of the best bangs for the buck car.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatby6 View Post
One of the best bangs for the buck car.
bingo!

2011 IS-F- PPE headers-Borla cat back exhaust-HPS intake elbow-FIGS lca bushings
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM

The F is a legend in the Lexus books since it's discontinued after this year. It has 8 speed auto manual transmission that offers 17-19 mpg city unlike the M3 and the C63 that get crap. Every time you drive an F the feel is just there. It's perfect just the way it is. Who cares that it doesn't have all the power like Mercedes or BMW. In the end the ISF will be the reliable one instead of going to a shop just to see sensors getting replaced. If I had the money or was able to afford payments I definitely would pull the trigger ! Good luck with your decision!

03 Volvo S60 2.4 N/A (SOLD)
01 Lexus IS300 (SOLD)
06 Scion tC 5 mt (SOLD)
03 Acura TL Type-S (SOLD)
05 Lexus IS300 (Current)
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 PM
Patriot

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian931 View Post
The F is a legend in the Lexus books since it's discontinued after this year. It has 8 speed auto manual transmission that offers 17-19 mpg city unlike the M3 and the C63 that get crap. Every time you drive an F the feel is just there. It's perfect just the way it is. Who cares that it doesn't have all the power like Mercedes or BMW. In the end the ISF will be the reliable one instead of going to a shop just to see sensors getting replaced. If I had the money or was able to afford payments I definitely would pull the trigger ! Good luck with your decision!
A lot of BS here...I can get 22 mpg in my C63. I can also get 6 mpg on race gas at a track. Drive all the cars and then tell me what you think. Additionally, my C63 has been nothing but reliable. I had a door lock actuator fail and that was replaced under warranty. And not that the service at Lexus is bad, but Mercedes service is much better IMO. I had some wear on my seat bolster, and the dealer replaced the seat cover under warranty even though it was wear and tear to "make sure I was satisifed with their service." So please, don't talk about things you don't know about. Ultimately, the ISF is a great car, but if you drive a C63, you will not want to drive an ISF...kind of like taking a rubber off, you know what you're missing.

2004 Black Onyx 5 speed
Koni | Eibach | SRT | Megan | Apex'i | ACT | Fidanza | Mizu | Ralco | PLP | Figs | Valentine One

2010 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, 426 rwhp

VFA-11 The Red Rippers
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:05 AM

Is F is rare too. low production and super cool car
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Deity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I've had two IS-Fs, loved them. But loved Lexus service most. So accommodating! Now prefer my M4, for performance and tech, but do miss the Lexus service and the sound of that V8!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Frequenter

Don't own one --- BUT for me it would be the bad @ss engine sound of the ISF

04 SPORT DESIGN II 5 SPEED LOWERED Thunder Cloud Metallic COLOR
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As far as the "performance #'s" go, I'll second what several have mentioned, slight differences in what pro drivers got for times on a track are meaningless in the real world, you need a much bigger margin than that to have an obvious advantage.

As far as reliability goes, I see we might have the ONE guy in the world commenting who bought a Bimmer, Benz or Audi and who's had a great experience as far as reliability goes, but also keep in mind that ANY pre-owned car is also very dependent on how it was maintained.

I'm old enough (but just in my 40's, not that old right?) to have owned several Benzs, two Audis, but not yet a Bimmer as well a Lexus and two Acuras over the years. A couple rolled to me right off of the showroom floor, some were 2 or 3 years old and one, a 1977 450SL, was nearly 20 years old, but with only 55k on it when I bought it.

I love both the Germans and the Japanese cars for their own reasons, but I'd STRONGLY recommend anyone who's just dying to get ANY Bimmer, etc to just save up and wait till you can afford either new or used but still under FACTORY warranty! Of course, new is damn expensive, but you can expect OK reliability (as proven by one reliability study after the next, the Germans are behind US cars-or Ford and GM at least-in every one I've seen in the last 5 years at least) under warranty, but even then it is still a PITA to schedule ANOTHER dealer visit and yes, Benz, BMW etc will get you a loaner car (usually a C Class or 3 series, NOT a SL65 to joyride in till your car is once again fixed!) and that's a pain, even with the loaner when I don't have hours to spare in my very busy life.

A properly maintained Lexus (or Acura for that matter, never had an Inifiniti) will be what I'd call "bulletproof", which to me means not just some parts that may last forever, but the entire car lasting a LONG time with very few repairs and hassles, assuming its kept up correctly. I drove a ISF for a weekend once, a new one the local dealer amazingly let me just take for several days since I was a good customer and that was a hell of a great car and I agree 100% on that big V8, silky smooth, sounds awesome and really kicks it when you hit the gas!

The Germans make great cars too, but I'd be darn careful about buying more than slightly used. There's a damn good reason why for instance, a early 2000's CL 500 (MB top of the line other than AMG versions and CL600 and over $100K new) can be found on used car lots now for around 10 grand! That one is due mainly to an air suspension system that you'll be praying daily holds up, but will likely fail sooner or later and then its either wrenching on it yourself and still getting murdered for the parts, or paying someone more than the car is worth to fix it-FOR NOW!

Last edited by bt5150; 03-04-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > IS-F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page