• 2 Post By whatthe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

URGENT: Damaged brake line, question on repairing/replacing it

Hi all,

I have a 2008 IS-F. A friend of mine was helping install my new JoeZ exhaust this weekend and accidentally knicked the brake line that is situated next to the right (passenger) side catalytic converter. Naturally, it bled the brakes dry and I had to get it towed to the nearest Lexus dealership since there was no braking. They quoted $3700, saying that they need to drop the engine to reach and replace the whole line. Is this true? I find it hard to believe that the whole engine needs to be dropped for something fragile that can easily break/get damaged. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

well the engine compartment does look like a tight fit. my brothers Infiniti M45 was the same way with its V8 . manufactures are stuffing big engines in small chassis frames, so trying to perform basic maintenance stuff can be challenging. I took almost had to shift the motor by unbolting the motor mounts to remove my brothers exhaust headers. So its not hard to believe the dealership doing the same thing, probably very little clearance . you should of took pictures of the damage area and the surrounding area so we can get an idea of what your dealing with. like picture from above engine compartment and below. i know their trying to replace the whole line/section, which explains why they are trying to do what they are doing. If the damaged line can be reachable from the top then you might be able to cut and flare it and install a brake line union to join a short new line with the old line. Or by new brake line flare one end and fish the rest of the line down the side or what ever brake line pathway its suppose to go and then cut and flare old line to mate with the new line with the brake line union or replace the whole line from end to end. standard size unmade brake lines with a spool of 15-20ft are $20-$27 bucks at advance auto parts. As well as a brake line flare kit is like $20-$30 bucks, flare nuts are like $1-$3, brake bleeding kit $15-$60, brake line bending pliers $10-$20. Then if you are able to replace the line then you have to bleed the ABS block first and then bleed the brakes at each caliper second.

haven't been in the IS-F engine compartment to give you a straight answer, so this is more of a intelligent guess of what you could possibly do. By the damage being so close or high up in the engine bay. the broken line is probably near the ABS Block, which is my reasoning for bleeding the ABS block as well.
jasonm4 likes this.

MY IS is Boosted with imagination by Sesame Street Performance (lol)
HKS DLI ignition box, PHR alternator 230amp or 250amp peak idk, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Brain Crower 264 cams, SRT Intake with RaceECU, Fidinza adjustment Cam-gear Exhaust set 0, Mishimoto Engine&Trans radiator+hoses, megan racing y-pipe, OEM FRS 4.10 rear Torsen LSD diff, greddy EVO2 cat-back, SSR type CRS wheels, Tokico Illumina 5-way shocks, Cusco blue swaybars and chassis stiffiners..... Doin that all motor build

Last edited by Poke_IS300; 11-09-2015 at 09:55 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)

If it is at all similar to 1st gen, I don't see how it would happen with the engine in. It gets stuffed behind head, down by the intake, underneath the car as all one big long piece. If you can do it without dropping the engine, it might be just about as time consuming.

I would suggest talking to a few other shops in your area to see if they can just cut it back where it is nicked, re-flare the ends, and install a new piece in between. It won't be stock appearance, but it would be a whole lot cheaper.
Poke_IS300 and jasonm4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > IS-F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page