Swap Stock subwoofer for JL Audio w7??? possible?? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Swap Stock subwoofer for JL Audio w7??? possible??

Has anyone ever just swapped the stock subwoofer with an amp and a different subwoofer?? I want something stealth like, so no one knows its even in the trunk, I was thinking of taking out my spare and having a box made for an 8" 8w7, but trying to weigh out my options.. any thoughts?? ideas??

Clay Bresnan
2007 Lexus IS250 6spd SOLD*
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 K1 Attack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Well you should be able to tap of the low level signal and tie that into an RCA to feed another amp. You will need another amp though since I tried this a long time ago in my GS and the sensitvity of the OEM free air subs is pretty high and they have a lot of excursion. JL's have a tighter spider and surround and are made for more power.

Of course I am intersted is actually reducing the weight of the F, not adding to it. So I would not care to add a heavy even if it was the same weight as the spare tire. Weight = speed
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig View Post
Well you should be able to tap of the low level signal and tie that into an RCA to feed another amp. You will need another amp though since I tried this a long time ago in my GS and the sensitvity of the OEM free air subs is pretty high and they have a lot of excursion. JL's have a tighter spider and surround and are made for more power.

Of course I am intersted is actually reducing the weight of the F, not adding to it. So I would not care to add a heavy even if it was the same weight as the spare tire. Weight = speed
Oh definately.. I have a really high end competition 2 channel Orion amplifier I would have installed.. I talked to KICKER today, the tech there recommended 1 or 2 8" woofers be installed in a small custom built box in the area where the spare tire is (remove all that stuff and have box built) as I stated I wanted a "stealth" appearance.. What would you recommend, the free air sub in the stock sub spot, or a sub or two built custom boxed in that spare room . Just torn, I dont mind not having a spare, and losing all that weight just to probably gain it back with a small custom box, but rather than mess with stock setup an addition would be easily removable.. And honestly I've never heard of any amazing free air subs..

Clay Bresnan
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 K1 Attack

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Fig
THE MAKER

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I have never been happy with free air subs either, the bass always lacks impact. Its like a tease really. I came from designing competition audio both SQ and SPL. 142 dB on demand feels pretty good haha. But all that aside, I really liked a single ten in my gen 1 IS, aimed towards the rear of the trunk with a slight gap. It really expanded well through all the seat and deck material..but then again I had to add sound deadening. More weight. I would stick to a single 8 in the spare and create a nice cover that will allow the bass to expand well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM

What i would do is...place everything under tinted pexi-glass. that way at night it would look like nothing is there(stealth) but when you turn on you amp killswitch(assuming that you might have one) you're the center of attention (the lights from the amp shines through and people can see your setup.

This is just a thought, i never did this but i thought about doing it in my Altima.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCity View Post
What i would do is...place everything under tinted pexi-glass. that way at night it would look like nothing is there(stealth) but when you turn on you amp killswitch(assuming that you might have one) you're the center of attention (the lights from the amp shines through and people can see your setup.

This is just a thought, i never did this but i thought about doing it in my Altima.
Definately good thought, very creative, however, I've done this before and if you take things in and out of the trunk offten, ex. For Sale/For Rent signs and lockbox, also gym clothes/shoes, the plexi gets scratched ever so easily and turns out looking like crap. Im thinkin the 1 8 is the way to go down there, i just dont know how im going to create something "stealthy" for the air to pass through the stock carpeting.. hmmmm Wonder about two ports, blacked, like maybe plastic port cut-outs (there i go tearing apart the stock stuff again tho.. Im stuck, i dont know what to do.. Maybe just take it to a shop, they take out the stock carpet, and create something else.. hmmm.. I'll give you guys some pics when im all done, thanks alot for the ideas.. tossing them all up!

Clay Bresnan
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 K1 Attack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybresnan View Post
Definately good thought, very creative, however, I've done this before and if you take things in and out of the trunk offten, ex. For Sale/For Rent signs and lockbox, also gym clothes/shoes, the plexi gets scratched ever so easily and turns out looking like crap. Im thinkin the 1 8 is the way to go down there, i just dont know how im going to create something "stealthy" for the air to pass through the stock carpeting.. hmmmm Wonder about two ports, blacked, like maybe plastic port cut-outs (there i go tearing apart the stock stuff again tho.. Im stuck, i dont know what to do.. Maybe just take it to a shop, they take out the stock carpet, and create something else.. hmmm.. I'll give you guys some pics when im all done, thanks alot for the ideas.. tossing them all up!
it seemed like a good idea...i've seen it done but exactly how i pictured it. you can take it to a shop and make it their problem lol...juss tell them your restrictions (i.e. dont mess with the stock stuff). as for the plexi glass, you can use like a HUGE screen protector lol...it will look clean and it would be protected. but anyways post some pictures up, i wanna see your creation so i can get some ideas too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 PM

This topic always starts on many lexus sites and then dies... no one has answered yet how to best replace the rear sub with a new sub and amp for more bass. Some of us cannot give up their pass through or spare tire, and some of us cannot afford to give up any more trunk space. Me and the original poster of this topic don't need to win any bass competitions, we just want a little more bass. What do the pros at mobile audio think? mane clipping the metal to accept a 10" sub would be worth doing, but the question is:

Will line level converters, a remote and power wire, and one NEW DIFFERENT sub add significant bass to the stock IS system. If so, what are some good subs to do it with?

thanks!

drew
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM

simple swap of sub (and possibly amp)

I agree, i too want to use the existing subwoofer location, and just swap out the sub, and possibly the amp. Any ideas?
Thanks much! John
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarapella View Post
This topic always starts on many lexus sites and then dies... no one has answered yet how to best replace the rear sub with a new sub and amp for more bass. Some of us cannot give up their pass through or spare tire, and some of us cannot afford to give up any more trunk space. Me and the original poster of this topic don't need to win any bass competitions, we just want a little more bass. What do the pros at mobile audio think? mane clipping the metal to accept a 10" sub would be worth doing, but the question is:

Will line level converters, a remote and power wire, and one NEW DIFFERENT sub add significant bass to the stock IS system. If so, what are some good subs to do it with?

thanks!

drew
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 AM

I'm sure you guys can find a sub that fits in there. No idea how to go about it though.

I just did this...

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 PM

I have replaced the factory subwoofer with a aftermarket 8" JLAudio W3 or a Kicker 8" and added a separate aftermarket amp many times on the iS. The customers were happy with the sound. But personally it was not enough bass for me. It all depends on how much bass you want in your iS. Bass always sounds better in an enclosure, either a sealed or ported. If you want to have full function of the trunk, loose the least amount of space and still have a bass system, then I would recommend a custom built enclosure mounted on either the left or right trunk corners. This is how you can have the best of both worlds.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 PM

These guys make a great sub box-
06+ Lexus IS 250/350 10 Inch Perfect Fit Subwoofer Enclosure

2009 Lexus ISF Ultrasonic Blue

2001 BMW 330xi Green-Gray Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > IS-F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page