OK.. ALL please read this.. IS-F pulls to the right, perfect alignment WTF!!!! - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK.. ALL please read this.. IS-F pulls to the right, perfect alignment WTF!!!!

I know back when i was considering getting this car, I read something about tons of people having this problem.. my dealer says "it drives like it should and the alignment is perfect". I thanked them because they didnt charge me for one anyway and just bullshit me thats what the problem was. In any case.. the freakin car STILL PULLS TO THE RIGHT!!! I feel im constantly fighting to stay straight, they say "its the way the road leans" every excuse in the freakin book.. But I read there was something else that needed to be fixed or updated to fix this problem.. Does anyone know?? please help!

Clay Bresnan
2007 Lexus IS250 6spd SOLD*
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 K1 Attack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Frequenter

I have no such issue nor have I heard of it being a problem.

Lou

2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic - Mine
2008 ES350 - Tungsten Pearl - Wife's
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White - Ours
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Altruist

It could be tire pull.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 AM

you have two of the same thread you should go back and delete the other one

2009 IS-F Mercury Metallic
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 PM

It is entirely possible that the car is simply following the angle of the road, but that should be easy to test. A lot of roads are raised in the middle, meaning that the curbs are downhill and most cars will tend to follow that, some more than others. So, one thing to try would be to find a large piece of pavement that is totally flat, ideally maybe even a spot where they run autocross courses, like a decommissioned airport tarmac. If the car doesn't pull, then you know it's the road.

Aside from this, here are additional details you might want to consider, which could account for the pulling despite the normal alignment:
1. Does it pull only under acceleration, only under braking, always, etc.?
2. Are you running the stock wheels and tires?
3. Are your tires properly inflated?
4. Are your wheels damaged?
5. Has the car been in an accident?
6. When the car is going straight, is the steering wheel centered?

'09 IS-F
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 AM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Does it DRIFT or PULL. Pulling tugs at the steering wheel. Drift fades to the right due to the crowning in the road.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM

ISF Pulls

I have an 08 ISF. About every two months I have to go back to the dealer to get a "free" alignment because the car is out. I wouldn't say it pulls, it more "Teeters." It's like balancing on one foot then a little bump and it pulls harder than it should in the direction your tires are leaning. Changing lanes at high speed especially. When it's aligned it only takes a finger at 120mph to change lanes. When it's out of alignment, you better have both hands on the wheel cause it's going to change lanes faster than you expect. The dealer replaced some "suspension arm" or "Alignment arm" that was supposed to fix the problem. As usual, it was good for a month or two after the alignment. I've had this car to 165 when it's aligned and it's as smooth as can be. When it's out, it freaks me out to change lanes over 90. Supposedly the next time, the head technician is going to ride with me to feel it. I'll update my results then.

No I don't hit speed bumps or potholes and I don't do donuts. I just race Porsche's on the interstate and stay right on that GT-3's ass! LUV IT!

Revluvr
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpepper View Post

No I don't hit speed bumps or potholes and I don't do donuts. I just race Porsche's on the interstate and stay right on that GT-3's ass! LUV IT!
gt-3 would smoke u. don't even try.

2009 IS-F Mercury Metallic
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Deity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You're not alone, I've owned 2 Fs and both pulled right. Dealer says it's due to the crown of the road, I disagree. Here is one of several threads of discussion, some parts have been replaced to help remedy.

Alignment problem. Dealer replacing LH/RH bracket. - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Technical Poseur

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I'm wondering if the cars deliberately aggressive nature is set right on the edge of performance/tire wear and it has a tendency to go to the performance side of things as it works its way out or "settles"

Perhaps if they set the alignment (toe wise front and rear) to the farthest they can IN (which should still be slightly out in the front and slightly in in the rear.) it should help tame the beast. Toe out is what gives you the darty feeling UNLESS you have a crap load of camber.

Poster, I mean poster. What have I done?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS-F-I-Found View Post
You're not alone, I've owned 2 Fs and both pulled right. Dealer says it's due to the crown of the road, I disagree. Here is one of several threads of discussion, some parts have been replaced to help remedy.

Alignment problem. Dealer replacing LH/RH bracket. - Lexus ISF / IS-F / LFA / LF-A Forum
OOOOH MY GOD YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! you know how long i freakin looked for this post?!?!? !I remembered reading something about this when I first got the car, but shy'ed away from it, now its aggrivating being its my every day driver!!! I will definately show this to the dealer. Thank you so much!

Clay Bresnan
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 K1 Attack
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybresnan View Post
OOOOH MY GOD YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! you know how long i freakin looked for this post?!?!? !I remembered reading something about this when I first got the car, but shy'ed away from it, now its aggrivating being its my every day driver!!! I will definately show this to the dealer. Thank you so much!
Good luck with your dealer. I had the same problem and now it is fixed. You probably have a Caster problem.

The above post will get you far. It's sad that the service advisers don't know about this.

Andy

Copied from Club Lexus' RickyCRX post.

Quote:
Now, the Lexus TSB # L-SB-0174-08 is an entire troubleshooting process to determine whether the 'pulling to one side' phenomenon is caused by tires or by alignment issues. The part that I could NOT find clearly explained *anywhere* on the Internet on any of the Lexus forums is what parts are replaced and how it "fixes" any supposed alignment issues.

The process for aligning these cars needs to be done like this -- if the camber is off from side-to-side, the subframe needs to be moved/adjusted until the camber numbers are equal (or, if not, EXTREMELY close). From there, set the toe properly and see where the caster falls out. *IF* the caster is off on one side or another (this can cause a pull to one side), there are different No. 2 arm brackets that can be ordered, depending on what you need to do with the alignment (i.e. if you need to move caster forward or backward on either side). There are two part numbers (one for the left and one for the right) that will move the caster +20' (plus twenty minutes, or roughly .33 degrees) and two part numbers (again, one for left side and one for right) that will move the caster -20'. The entire list of part numbers are:

Part # / Side / Offset Angle
48075-30020 / RH / 0 (stock)
48075-53020 / RH / +20'
48075-53030 / RH / -20'
48076-30020 / LH / 0 (stock)
48076-53020 / LH / +20'
48076-53030 / LH / -20'

(Source: Toyota TIS website: Document ID #: RM000000WWZ016X)
I have scanned a printed copy of this document and placed it on my home server here: http://rickyc.mine.nu/website/ISF/ISF-Alignment.pdf

Now, I am not going to get into a step-by-step on how to fix the issue (I already pretty much have above), as it would take me quite a while to explain what impacts camber, caster, and toe have on vehicle dynamics and tire wear, but suffice it to say I now have my car set up to maximize handling while minimizing tire wear as much as possible (again, please reference the attached .txt file to see where my alignment settings are at this point -- keep a close eye on the toe settings and the now-nearly-equalized caster settings). The car feels entirely different at this point, and I was actually lucky enough with my vehicle that the dealership didn't have to replace any of the No. 2 arm brackets once they got things where they needed to be.

In addition, I have a copy of the Lexus Service Bulletin on my same site that I linked above. You can view and/or download either of them by going to the parent directory: http://rickyc.mine.nu/website/ISF and right-clicking -> Save-as the files.

Best of luck to you all that have the pulling to the right problem.

Andy
2008 IS-F
2002 Carrera
2004 Volvo V70
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Deity

Quote:
Happy to help. Any updates? Dealer helping?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

****for The Record****

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS-F-I-Found View Post
Happy to help. Any updates? Dealer helping?
OK GUYS.. YOU WILL ALL FIND THIS AMUSING, BUT MOST LIKELY NOT UNCOMMON. I FINALLY GOT SICK AND TIRED OF FIGHTING MY STEERING WHEEL, CONSTANTLY PULLING ME TO THE RIGHT ALL THE TIME. 50,000 DOLLARS SHOULD GET YOU A CAR THAT DOES WHAT YOU WANT IT TO... RIGHT?? ANYWAY, RE READ THIS POST, AND FIND THE LINK TO THE ADD THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. TOOK IT IN FOR MY 2ND ALIGNMENT THE OTHER DAY, THEY DID IT, I WENT IN TO TEST DRIVE, AND TURNED RIGHT BACK AROUND, ASKED FOR THE LOANER KEYS, AND HANDED HIM THE ENTIRE LINKED POST PRINTED OUT AND HIGHLIGHTED IN ANY AND ALL RELATIVE COMMENTS. I SAID, I WANT THIS PART INSTALLED REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK. THEY DID IT... AND.....

IT WORKED**********!!!

MY CAR DRIVES LIKE A DREAM, THE DREAM I PAID FOR!!!! FINALLY!!

TAKE IT FROM ME, AFTER HAVING THIS WORK DONE I RIDE AROUND FEELING I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR. 10X THE CAR, THANKS AGAIN ALL FOR THE HELP!

Clay Bresnan
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 K1 Attack
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Deity

Quote:
OK GUYS.. YOU WILL ALL FIND THIS AMUSING, BUT MOST LIKELY NOT UNCOMMON. I FINALLY GOT SICK AND TIRED OF FIGHTING MY STEERING WHEEL, CONSTANTLY PULLING ME TO THE RIGHT ALL THE TIME. 50,000 DOLLARS SHOULD GET YOU A CAR THAT DOES WHAT YOU WANT IT TO... RIGHT?? ANYWAY, RE READ THIS POST, AND FIND THE LINK TO THE ADD THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. TOOK IT IN FOR MY 2ND ALIGNMENT THE OTHER DAY, THEY DID IT, I WENT IN TO TEST DRIVE, AND TURNED RIGHT BACK AROUND, ASKED FOR THE LOANER KEYS, AND HANDED HIM THE ENTIRE LINKED POST PRINTED OUT AND HIGHLIGHTED IN ANY AND ALL RELATIVE COMMENTS. I SAID, I WANT THIS PART INSTALLED REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU THINK. THEY DID IT... AND.....

IT WORKED**********!!!

MY CAR DRIVES LIKE A DREAM, THE DREAM I PAID FOR!!!! FINALLY!!

TAKE IT FROM ME, AFTER HAVING THIS WORK DONE I RIDE AROUND FEELING I GOT WHAT I PAID FOR. 10X THE CAR, THANKS AGAIN ALL FOR THE HELP!
Congrats. Do you have any receipt or paperwork that illustrates exactly what they did? Mine is a moderate pull, but it's certainly noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > IS-F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page