Legal After Market Parts for the IS F - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Legal After Market Parts for the IS F

I was wondering if the JOEZ intake system is CARB approved in Califorina. Does anyone know if this is so? I know that K&N makes a pretty nice cold air intake system but it is not legal for use on the street. I believe that the exhaust system by JOEZ is legal. Also is there a drop in air filter that will help with air intake for the IS F? ALso where can I get the JOEZ stuff if it is legal for street use. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Frequenter

None of the JoeZ stuff is CARB legal. But, when I lived in SB, that never stopped me.

Lou

2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic - Mine
2008 ES350 - Tungsten Pearl - Wife's
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White - Ours
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Lou!
It's probably due to the fact that so few are imported that it isn't worth the cost of going through the nonsense of getting the parts CARB approved as I'm sure it is quite expensive! Did you ever have any issues with the local cops as to sound from the exhaust?
Rich

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Frequenter

Actually that's only part of the reason. The JoeZ exhaust (or any catback exhaust for the F) removes the secondary cats. The smog police don't like this. If you went for an inspection , and the inspector knew what he was doing on the visual, you would fail. The JoeZ tube would probably pass, if it was black and not the blue model. As far as noise, if you don't make a fool of yourself, you probably wont get stopped.

However, for me, the Borla or JoeZ are too loud, I have the stock mufflers with a true dual system that I had fabricated at a local exhaust shop, and yes, my secondary cats are gone. However, most folks like the extra noise. I only know of a couple of folks who have installed the JoeZ exhaust, and then removed it because of the increased noise.

Lou

2008 ISF - Mercury Metallic - Mine
2008 ES350 - Tungsten Pearl - Wife's
2011 Chevrolet Silverado - White - Ours
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Lou, again thanks! I know that at least one owner decided to take the Borla exhaust off and go back to stock because it was too loud. Didn't know about the JoeZ though. I think I'll just stay with stock for now and maybe install the K&N cold air intake. It would be easy enough to go back to stock for smog check purposes and it supposedly adds about 28 hp and something like 23 F lb ft of torque.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM

what is illegal in the joe z air intake?

just curious as im about to buy the joe z intake whats illegal about it ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumsrtrash View Post
just curious as im about to buy the joe z intake whats illegal about it ?
Same thing that's illegal about any other similar modification in California- no CARB/EO number.

No EO number, it's not legal.

(for parts that need them obviously, CA won't care if you have aftermarket floormats)

(the exhaust portion would be illegal not only for lack of an EO number in CA, but in all 50 states because it removes working factory catalytic converters which violates federal law)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM

I put in a borla cat back on a 07 F and it sounds good and performs good but i dynamatd the trunk and floors so it is much lower inside then out but as far as cops they dont ussually bother unless u r reving it real high in towns. and as far as inspection try to become buddys wit a mechanic i talk to this guy and give him all my waste oil that he burns in his furnace and i give him a cup of coffee every time i need something inspected and he just hands me the sticker but he knows my work very well (ive done work on 1 of his cars)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 > IS-F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page