Water under my rear floormats - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Water under my rear floormats

I have a 2006 IS250 RWD automatic. Lately over the past few months my wife has been complaining about a mildew smell inside her car and today we found that the carpet under the rear floor mats is soaking wet.

After doing a little digging around back there we found these little plastic pieces mounted underneath the two front seats and it seems like the water is coming from them because they are soaking wet inside them and the carpet around them is really saturated. I'm assuming that they are part of the AC but I don't understand why water would be coming from them.

I've attached a picture to show what I'm trying to describe and hopefully someone can tell me why it's happening and what I could to to fix the problem.

Thank You in Advance for any information you can provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2771.JPG
Views:	1171
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	33009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

This is a known issue that Lexus is aware of and is actually one of the TSB's, a free fix only while under the manufacturers warranty(4yr/50k miles, whichever comes first). Unfortunately unless you have an extended warranty, you'll have to pay out of pocket.

What happens is there's an issue with the condensate drain, so it runs down the vents to the lowest point. I found a thread from our neighbors that goes into detail.(see mainly page 2)

HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!? - Club Lexus Forums

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
This is a known issue that Lexus is aware of and is actually one of the TSB's, a free fix only while under the manufacturers warranty(4yr/50k miles, whichever comes first). Unfortunately unless you have an extended warranty, you'll have to pay out of pocket.

What happens is there's an issue with the condensate drain, so it runs down the vents to the lowest point. I found a thread from our neighbors that goes into detail.(see mainly page 2)

HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!? - Club Lexus Forums

Thank You jason...... I did buy the extended warranty but it ended in 12/11, just my luck.

I did find a TSB on how to repair the problem which doesn't seem too hard.

I do have a question for you about the TSB if you have a chance to read it. On page 8, step #11, figure 13, it tells you to remove the drain plug and look for blockage and clear the blockage, but it doesn't tell you to put the drain plug back in. Am I supposed to leave it out?

I've attached the TSB I found if you have a chance to look at it I appreciate it, but no hurry, we've been dealing with this for a few months now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSIB HVAC DRAIN revised 2010.pdf (597.1 KB, 1436 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp2k1 View Post
I do have a question for you about the TSB if you have a chance to read it. On page 8, step #11, figure 13, it tells you to remove the drain plug and look for blockage and clear the blockage, but it doesn't tell you to put the drain plug back in. Am I supposed to leave it out?
You're welcome and glad you found the TSB and especially that you are still covered. This is something i would definitely let Lexus do of it is free to you. Between reading the threads and TSB, it seems the drain plug is to be removed and NOT replaced. There is foam behind it that shouldn't be removed or disturbed. I haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4444 View Post
You're welcome and glad you found the TSB and especially that you are still covered. This is something i would definitely let Lexus do of it is free to you. Between reading the threads and TSB, it seems the drain plug is to be removed and NOT replaced. There is foam behind it that shouldn't be removed or disturbed. I haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise.
Thanks for the help and actually I'm not still covered under the warranty. It ended in 12/2011.....

I was able to see where it is and saw the buildup of slime around the drain opening and with a stiff piece of wire I was able to break some of it loose and some water did come flowing out of it but until I get the things out of the way I won't be able to remove it, I could never reach it by hand otherwise.

At least I know what it is and that I can fix it myself.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Immortal

No problem, glad you was able to free up the drain some. I don't know what i was thinking when i saw your warranty expiration date.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM

Probably a door seal or a sunroof drain. There are two drains at the rear of the sunroof that go down through the C pillar - and probably come out somewhere ahead of the rear wheel opening (dunno since I have a vert - but that's usual BMW practice..) If these plug up - water will end up in the rear. Also - if the door drains plug up - and the inner door seal on that side isn't firmly adhered to the door - you could end up with water. I'd guess there is also a possibility that the rear side window might leak.

Last edited by jasonm4; 06-20-2012 at 12:22 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:00 AM

I drove my Lexus IS 250 2010 car up on ramps, parking brake on, all wheels chocked. Crawl under from front, on your back head about the middle of the vehicle feet out front. Put KY jell on right hand from knuckles to wrist (not fingers) and slide it up between on right side of tranny right at the linkage (very tight fit until your hand is above the tranny). The plug is under the middle of the tranny towards the front of the car, almost as far as you can reach. There is a soft rubbery nipple that sticks down from the middle. I used a small 4" long multi use pliers that I fed to my right hand from my left hand. I slid my left hand in (with the pliers) from where the driveshaft meets the rear of the tranny. Your hand goes up above the tranny and toward the front of the vehicle until I could transfer the pliers to my right hand. Use the pliers in your right hand to grab the nipple of the plug, hold tight and pull down. I guided the tip of the pliers with my left hand. It is difficult to get your left arm in far enough to just feel the nipple. The part itself is 2" diameter but only about 5/8" diameter of the middle protrudes through the floor and the nipple is in the middle of this and has a slot about 1/2" long by 1/16" wide, this is what clogs up with dirt and won't drain. Once the 2" diameter plug is removed, the hole in the floor is only 5/8" diameter, you can't stick your finger up into the hole. Do not replace it, this size of hole should not clog up now. I am 5' 10" tall weighing 190 lbs, my left forearm is 11.5" circumference, my right hand is 2 3/8" thick from the back of my hand to the thick fleshy part of the thumb on the palm side, you need to wiggle the right hand around to get it up beside the linkage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page