Oil Change Problem Requirement question? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oil Change Problem Requirement question?

Hi - I am trying to help out a family member by getting some quality info. I was really impressed with some of the random threads that popped up from this site in my random google searches.

Basically my relative got tired of paying $90 for an oil/service change experience at the dealer, so they tried someone else.

I believe they did two; possibly three oil changes with them in a period of 12 months and paid $30 each time. Some months ago more recently, after going to somewhere else, they were advised by that service manager that the IS-250 requires 6.7 quarts of oil & a special filter change as well each time and the total came to $42.50.

The $30 deal they were getting from the first place was a bundle type deal that only covered up to 5 quarts. So either two things happened. They made a mistake and did not bill properly or they did not look it up in their system and did not give the proper amount of required oil and special filter. Worst case scenario, and assume they screwed up, what kind of damage could the vehicle have suffered before this revelation came about??

Also, unrelated question, but when the alert goes off in the IS-250 that says required oil maintenance needed. Is that just based on some primitive type programmed mileage calculator in the system or is their actually some kind of intuitive function happening within the vehicles logic board that reads the weight/quality of the oil?

Thanks in advance.....................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any idea how many miles it was driven in that 12month time? The filter isn't "special" just a new cartridge style that any parts place has. And the "Maint Reqd" light is just a programmed light to come on every 5k once it's reset. Nothing to do with oil quality. And I find it hard to believe whoever changed the oil left it 1.5qts low. That wouldn't even register on the dipstick and I don't know who would change oil w/o checking the level after. Chances are they just screwed themselves on billing @ 5qts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnalis300 View Post
Any idea how many miles it was driven in that 12month time? The filter isn't "special" just a new cartridge style that any parts place has. And the "Maint Reqd" light is just a programmed light to come on every 5k once it's reset. Nothing to do with oil quality.
Thanks for your post! Within that 12 month time, the car was driven at least 15,000 miles, probably more. Basically an oil change was performed each time within a week of when the maintenance light popped on. Three oil changes were done at the first place with the $30/5 quart bundle rate.

Do you mind me asking what you do in terms of the programmed light coming on? Is it like the old school days where you simply actually open the hood and check your levels/color, etc. ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Frequenter

No the light comes on every 5k and won't go off until reset. Turn odo to trip "A" and turn car off. Press and hold odo reset button while turning car on to acc mode and hold until milage flashes 00000
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnalis300 View Post
No the light comes on every 5k and won't go off until reset. Turn odo to trip "A" and turn car off. Press and hold odo reset button while turning car on to acc mode and hold until milage flashes 00000
Thanks for the reset codes. I mean how do you actually gauge when you will physically bring your car in for an oil change? I do not believe the oil in the IS-250 is synthetic (not sure), if its not, how many miles then could it really last past the 5K mark?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Frequenter

The IS250 does not require synthetic. How long it will last depends on a lot of things like driving habits etc. I would say 7500 is as far as I would push it but not on a regular basis. Better safe than sorry.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

So any insights or if anyone else wants to chime in here on this issue;

What could possibly happen internally to an IS-250 if you drove it for 12 months for 15K miles & had three oil changes during this time, but it was filled with 5 Quarts of oil instead of 6.7 Quarts of oil during this time. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page