I Just bought a 2006 IS250 RWD (need advice) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I Just bought a 2006 IS250 RWD (need advice)

need some advice (sorry for the length)

I just bought a used 2006 IS250, manual transmission. It has 116000 KM. I had it inspected with my mechanic before buying, he checked it, drove it and said it looked great. except a few minor issues (changing a oil gasket and charging the battery). after his inspection I decided to buy the car.

I went to a Lexus Dealer and got the gasket repaired yesterday (which was a very minor repair). They were very nice to me and the mechaninc told me that there has been a major repair done on the engine, he saw it because the sealing of the engine (silicone) was not manufacturer's original color, he said only a Lexus mechanic would catch this. He thought that it might of been the valves that were repaired (previous owner probably put regular gas and caused some misfires) . He told me not to worry as he looked at the car very quickly and drove it a bit and said there didn't seem to be any major issues with the car (said he couldn't be 100% sure unless he opened the engine up). They also did the recalls that needed to be done on the car

I have been driving it for 1 week and half and noticed somethings. First the car drives very nice, no weird noises when driving in the car but I hear a ticking noise when outside (louder when hood is up). I have been through this forum and it seems to be normal noise.

I still have 2 more weeks in case I wanted to return the car to the dealer, after that times up I would be stuck with it. I am afraid of ending up with a lemon.

Am I being paranoid, any advice?

A worried new IS owner

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Follower

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What color is the sealant that was used? Lexus uses graish sealant from factory but they also use black for the coolant passages on the front timing cover. Ticking noise is just the Direct Injection Fuel system.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:36 PM

If it feels bad, it is bad!

Go with your instinct. If you have a feeling your car may turn into a lemon, just return it and don't deal with the unnecessary stress. If you bought the car at a gereat deal (much less than blue book price)then keep it. Nonetheless, I would find out what work was exactly done to the car and make my decision from there.
Lexus like Toyotas are very reliable vehicles. The fact that you know there was a minor or major job done to this car may keep you worried for sometime. It is the same as when we take our cars into the shop for repairs. We don't feel confident driving it until a few days or weeks later.
Now, I also have a 2006 is250 with almost 60k miles. It is in mint condition inside and out. With the exception of the engine/VSC/Track lights that nobody seems to know how to deactivate them. I tried what others have done to their cars in this forum but has been worthless. It is anoying but after two months, I am getting use to see them there.
Yours is the same year and it already has over 100k or are those kilometers.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
These cars are great!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:48 PM

That ticking is the lifters in the engine from the direct injected fuel system.

My 09 IS250 has the same noise and i was worried quite abit when i first heard it. After speaking to the head mechanic at my local Lexus dealership, it is a common noise for the 250's. He actually started up 3 other IS250's in the bay and they all share the same noise.

no worries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page