DIY Satellite Radio - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DIY Satellite Radio

I have been pricing the installation of satellite radio into my 2007 IS250. Since it already has the NAV button and a sharksfin antenna, I thought any equipment needed to get it working would be minimal. Boy, was I wrong! The dealers in Phoenix want almost $800 for XM! Well, thats out. I simply don't want satellite radio THAT bad. But I might be willing to spend $300 and do it myself if its not that difficult. Apparently you need two units: the tuner (Sirius or XM) and an interface that allows you to use all the dash and steering wheel controls. I am researching now, will report what I find out. In the meantime, has anyone already done this? I am particularly interested in using the existing sharksfin antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoulian View Post
I have been pricing the installation of satellite radio into my 2007 IS250. Since it already has the NAV button and a sharksfin antenna, I thought any equipment needed to get it working would be minimal. Boy, was I wrong! The dealers in Phoenix want almost $800 for XM! Well, thats out. I simply don't want satellite radio THAT bad. But I might be willing to spend $300 and do it myself if its not that difficult. Apparently you need two units: the tuner (Sirius or XM) and an interface that allows you to use all the dash and steering wheel controls. I am researching now, will report what I find out. In the meantime, has anyone already done this? I am particularly interested in using the existing sharksfin antenna.
Contact any of the usual forum dealer/vendors... (Sewell Lexus for example)... they sell the XM kit just north of 300 bucks, all the install is done in your trunk, it's completely plug and play, and should take maybe an hour... two if you go VERY slow and have never worked on a car before.

The Sirius unit is a lot more work to install and involves opening up the dash among other things, and doesn't use the factory sharkfin without extra parts/work.

Since the merger the programming is largely the same anyway, so stick to the XM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Follow up: Go with XM Tuner

After reading up on this site and others, decided to go with the factory XM tuner & mount kit. I go the tuner new on eBay for $140, the mount kit was another $80. Going to give it a go this weekend.
By the way, I used to be a Sirius subscriber, but since Sirius & XM merged, it looks to me like the content is almost identical.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

XM Tuner Install a Snap!

Its done. My XM Tuner is installer and actived, at a fraction of the dealer cost, about $230 for the parts.

My advice: stick with XM. Adding Sirius to your IS250 looks alot more complicated and it can't use the shark fin, it requires another satellite antenna. It also does not fit neatly in the trunk. Also, I can't find any significant difference betwen Sirius and XM.

The factory instruction manual takes you neatly through the entire install. As long as you get the factory parts (the tuner and the mount kit).

Start with downloading the factory instructions:
http://sewellpartsonline.com/import/pdf/is_xm.pdf

Then find the following two parts online:
86180-0W030 or 86180-0W031 - this is the tuner
86100-0W220 - Mount kit

I found my tuner on eBay for $140, new in box. The mount kit I bought from Sewell Lexus Parts for about $89 shipped.

Then give yourself about 2 hours and TAKE YOUR TIME. The instruction doc is excellent, but follow it closely. Most of your time is taken removing the trunk trim, and you WILL curse the trim clips. But go slow and carefully and it will go just fine.

Any questions, email me: [email protected]

This IS easy. Don't get ripped off by the dealer for this simple job.
Rick
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Thinking about doing this on my 2006 IS I just got. One question though....I assume the installation is the same for a 2006 as your 2007? Those installation instructions only say 2007, and I can't find one on Sewell's website that specifically says 2006.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerjim50 View Post
Thinking about doing this on my 2006 IS I just got. One question though....I assume the installation is the same for a 2006 as your 2007? Those installation instructions only say 2007, and I can't find one on Sewell's website that specifically says 2006.
06 doesn't have the sharkfin, so you'll need to mount the antenna someplace... otherwise it's the same (ie the receiver goes in the same place in the trunk, plugs into the head unit the same way, etc)

Call Sewell on the phone, IIRC you'll need a slightly different kit since you'll need the antenna.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Great post,, I found a used xm on ebay with harness for $85.00 a great deal. Just put it in tonight in my 07 IS350,, btw awsome car!!, and the best part!!!,,, wait for it,,,,, the radio is still activated!!!!!

I will switch the radio over to my account after the end of the month,,, for some reason I like Howard Stern.. (the best of Sirius is not included with the subscription of this radio).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:19 AM

So, I have an is350 (2009). Has the sharkfin antenna as well as the buttons in the stereo and on screen display. I assume the features and results on my car would be similar. My question is "are you able to operate the satellite radio through your car's controls or is there an adapter separate?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page