User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
-1-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I could'a, would'a, shoud'a

I've been actively looking for six month. Finally made my decision two weeks ago. I purchased a new 2011 IS 350 F-Sport in Matador Red Mica. Took the majority opinion and went with the IS 350 over the IS 250. Definitely didn't want AWD, just didn't see the need or extra expense. Daily driver, but I have another vehicle for extreme weather. Wasn't considering the F-Sport, but I liked the factory lowered look via lowering springs, sway bars, cross member brace, and F-Sport exhaust and extras. Not sure about the dark factory 18" F-Sport wheels. Considering going with Five:AD R5F 19" wheels in silver or Stealth Chrome. Opinions? Had to have the NAV, sun roof, HIDs, and love the LEDs. The F-Sport exhaust is much louder and the ride much firmer than a regular IS 350. I like the sportiness and the look. After comparing a standard IS 350, couldn't go with bland. Local dealer had a low mileage 2008 IS-F for not much more than what I paid. The IS-F was appealing, but didn't need that much car as a daily driver and I love brand new. I have a Mercedes SLK 55 that spends a lot of time in the garage waiting for sunny days. Upgraded from a Mazda6, five speed (which I'll miss), was a great fun car. I've loved the IS, second generations for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00174.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	29125  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Regarding AWD, the OP lives in Virginia, not Canada... AWD will be worthless to him 90% of the year....(richmond too, not the western part with mountains) and for that whole 90% of it he's gonna get worse mileage and be slower in comparison to the RWD model.
Yeah, but sometimes that 10% can be very, very significant.

I'm sure you'll remember that one time, for a split second, you lost traction and...

In the end, I guess it depends what you bought your car for. I find my IS 250 AWD A nice combination of luxury, performance, and value.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfxp View Post
Yeah, but sometimes that 10% can be very, very significant.

I'm sure you'll remember that one time, for a split second, you lost traction and...

In the end, I guess it depends what you bought your car for. I find my IS 250 AWD A nice combination of luxury, performance, and value.
I learned to drive in NY, and have also lived in Canada... both places where they know the value of using SNOW tires in the snow, so the only times I've really lost traction where it mattered were cases where AWD would've been no help at all (ice under all 4 wheels)

If you really feel you need AWD to be confident in bad weather (and I hope you're on the proper tires for the weather too, not just "all seasons") then by all means, stick with what you feel you need...

But realistically unless you're taking the car off-road (off properly maintained paved roads that is) a RWD car with the proper tires gets around just fine virtually anywhere and offers better performance, mileage, and lower initial and long term costs while doing so.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM

nice car...I am in the same spot, considering a 250 then saw the f-sport package (want the usb) but and now thinking 350 f-sport. did you have to order your car or is there a dealer near you that had some? I live about 1 1/2 north of you and am having a hard time finding any in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page