User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Brake Fade - 06 IS250

Hello Everyone,

I have an 06 IS250 with 31 xxx miles on it.

I took it in for a my 30 000 mile service and recall for the master cylinder where they replaced a seal.

Since then my brake peddle fades to the floor, it does stop but scares the crap outta me sometimes esp on the highway. I took it back last week they said they would bleed the brakes once again and it should be fine, well it is not still have the same issue. The brakes were great before they did the recall.

The work was performed at Open Road Port Moody Lexus in BC Canada. The car is out of warranty but it was perfectly fine before the recall was performed. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G007 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have an 06 IS250 with 31 xxx miles on it.

I took it in for a my 30 000 mile service and recall for the master cylinder where they replaced a seal.

Since then my brake peddle fades to the floor, it does stop but scares the crap outta me sometimes esp on the highway. I took it back last week they said they would bleed the brakes once again and it should be fine, well it is not still have the same issue. The brakes were great before they did the recall.

The work was performed at Open Road Port Moody Lexus in BC Canada. The car is out of warranty but it was perfectly fine before the recall was performed. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

They didn't bleed the brakes properly (or they screwed something up on the master cylinder work)

What you describe (brake pedal sinks to floor) is virtually a textbook description of air in the brake lines.

What you describe is not, at all, brake fade... which refers to a loss of stopping power after repeated/extended use of the brakes due to brake parts overheating.... and which you ought never experience in normal driving.

Take it back, tell them you'll be keeping their loaner car until they can return it to you with the brakes working properly (presumably the same as the loaner and all the other cars on their lot.)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
They didn't bleed the brakes properly (or they screwed something up on the master cylinder work)

What you describe (brake pedal sinks to floor) is virtually a textbook description of air in the brake lines.

What you describe is not, at all, brake fade... which refers to a loss of stopping power after repeated/extended use of the brakes due to brake parts overheating.... and which you ought never experience in normal driving.

Take it back, tell them you'll be keeping their loaner car until they can return it to you with the brakes working properly (presumably the same as the loaner and all the other cars on their lot.)
Thanks Knightshade, I just booked it again, lets what they come up with...I sure hope they don't charge me anything

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Thanks Knightshade, I just booked it again, lets what they come up with...I sure hope they don't charge me anything
I certainly wouldn't pay them anything... they screwed it up during a recall, they fix it.

Lexus corporate would be my next step if the dealer was unable to resolve properly, and for free, with a free loaner in the meantime.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

It is booked in for this weekend, the advisor said it could be the brake booster??? If it is the brake booster it only lasted 31000 miles and that would not make me a happy customer especially if they try to make me pay
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Went to Lexus the other day, RR caliper is siezed. The sliders are sieized, needs a new caliper, $512.00 total after taxes....I have never had a seized caliper esp not at 31000 miles.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Went to Lexus the other day, RR caliper is siezed. The sliders are sieized, needs a new caliper, $512.00 total after taxes....I have never had a seized caliper esp not at 31000 miles.
There's a recall (on US models anyway) for exactly that issue so I would've expected this to be fixed free

The campaign was SSC-9LB

(and even if not covered the parts should be massively cheaper from Sewell or one of the other dealer vendors compared to what your local dealer is asking)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There's a recall (on US models anyway) for exactly that issue so I would've expected this to be fixed free

The campaign was SSC-9LB

(and even if not covered the parts should be massively cheaper from Sewell or one of the other dealer vendors compared to what your local dealer is asking)
You are awesome Knightshade, the IS250 is a US model.

I just called my dealer in Vancouver and he said that the TSB had already been completed in 09 and te caliper was not siezed them they just replaced the boot.

He said they replaced the boot again becuase it has a "nik" on it on Tuesday when they checked it.

He said I am SOL becuase the TSB was already completed ...FML

BUT...the recall has not been completed according to the US database...

I just spoke with lexus Canada - they have opened a case to look into this, since the TSB was performed a year ago

Last edited by G007; 01-27-2011 at 03:55 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You are awesome Knightshade, the IS250 is a US model.

I just called my dealer in Vancouver and he said that the TSB had already been completed in 09 and te caliper was not siezed them they just replaced the boot.

He said they replaced the boot again becuase it has a "nik" on it on Tuesday when they checked it.

He said I am SOL becuase the TSB was already completed ...FML

BUT...the recall has not been completed according to the US database...

I just spoke with lexus Canada - they have opened a case to look into this, since the TSB was performed a year ago
Stephanie from Lexus Canada just called me, they have denied my claim due to the fact that the campaign was performed in 1.5 yrs ago and and they will honor it. I am amazed that Lexus is not standing by their product, especially since the same rubber boot they recalled had failed in less than 7000 miles. I have always stood behind toyota and even after all the massive recalls still stood behind them and argued they stand behind their product, but now my opinion has completely changed I would and will not ever recommend a Toyota product to anyone.

Shocks me that a rubber boot that was called in for a recall 2 years ago is replaced with another faulty boot that didnt even alst 7000 miles and Lexus will not stand behind their product.

I should just go buy a Ford LOL
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Stephanie from Lexus Canada just called me, they have denied my claim due to the fact that the campaign was performed in 1.5 yrs ago and and they will honor it. I am amazed that Lexus is not standing by their product, especially since the same rubber boot they recalled had failed in less than 7000 miles. I have always stood behind toyota and even after all the massive recalls still stood behind them and argued they stand behind their product, but now my opinion has completely changed I would and will not ever recommend a Toyota product to anyone.

Shocks me that a rubber boot that was called in for a recall 2 years ago is replaced with another faulty boot that didnt even alst 7000 miles and Lexus will not stand behind their product.

I should just go buy a Ford LOL
Damn, that sucks man

I have to say, of any bad things I've heard regarding Lexus service, most of em have come out of Lexus in Canada... (and doubly so for cars that were originally US cars).

I'd obviously advise you to find a good NON-dealership brake shop to fix this, I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper at any local brake shop and I wouldn't want to give the dealership guys any of my $ after your experience.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Damn, that sucks man

I have to say, of any bad things I've heard regarding Lexus service, most of em have come out of Lexus in Canada... (and doubly so for cars that were originally US cars).

I'd obviously advise you to find a good NON-dealership brake shop to fix this, I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper at any local brake shop and I wouldn't want to give the dealership guys any of my $ after your experience.
Thanks for the help though Knightshade.

The caliper is 250-300 everywhere I look hahah, might be cheaper to just get it done from Lexus. I might save a but I will be pricing it out today.

Know of any good sites I could order the caliper from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS250 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page