User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Soliciting Opinions on my Tire Situation

So here is my deal... thought I would hit some of you experts up for an opinion on what to do with my tire situation...

About a month ago I get a nail in my front driver side tire and I take it to a repair guy and he does the deed in about 5 minutes and fixes the tire.

All is wel until about a week ago when my low tire pressure warning light comes on. I don't think much of it and inflate ALL my tires. Three days later, light is back on. Culprit is front driver tire. So I'm thinking, guy didn't do a good repair.

Take it to another repair shop today and he puts the car on the hoist and shows my that the driver tire has a flat spot and a bit of a bubble on the inside of the tire. Can't be fixed (so says the guy) and he even recommends taking it off and putting on a dummy (to show me how serious it is).

I guess I don't REALLY believe it is that big a deal, but I could be wrong. Flat spot is about 2" x 1" size and the bubble is noticeable to the touch and visible if it is pointed out. Tire is definitely leaking very slowly. About 1-2psi per day.

So, here is my dilema... I've got the winter snow and rims that I planned to put on in about 3 weeks. The guy at the tire place OBVIOUSLY wants to sell me a set of 4 replacements right NOW.

So, my options are as follows:

1) Continue to drive on it for another three weeks and take my chances. I drive on a major highway into work everyday (that does not have a shoulder) so if I blow the tire, I'm f*cked!

2) Put snows on right away. It's probably too early to put them on and I'll cause premature wear on them, if the weather stays warm (highs of low 60's to high 50's and lows in the mid to high 40's).

3) Buy a new set right now, put them on for a few weeks and swap the snows when the time comes.

*So, obviously if I can avoid laying out the money for #3, I'd much rather wait and replace them in the spring. But this brings out another question, which do I replace?

The rear tires have a pretty good amount of tread left on them. Certainly one more summer (the stock tires have about 18,000 miles on them). When I replace the tires, I intended on buying the Hankook's from Knightshade's article. However, if I only swap out the front tires, can I mix and match?

Any and all input is appreciated.

2008 IS350 Starfire Pearl
JoeZ Intake & K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razal View Post
So here is my deal... thought I would hit some of you experts up for an opinion on what to do with my tire situation...

About a month ago I get a nail in my front driver side tire and I take it to a repair guy and he does the deed in about 5 minutes and fixes the tire.

All is wel until about a week ago when my low tire pressure warning light comes on. I don't think much of it and inflate ALL my tires. Three days later, light is back on. Culprit is front driver tire. So I'm thinking, guy didn't do a good repair.

Take it to another repair shop today and he puts the car on the hoist and shows my that the driver tire has a flat spot and a bit of a bubble on the inside of the tire. Can't be fixed (so says the guy) and he even recommends taking it off and putting on a dummy (to show me how serious it is).

I guess I don't REALLY believe it is that big a deal, but I could be wrong. Flat spot is about 2" x 1" size and the bubble is noticeable to the touch and visible if it is pointed out. Tire is definitely leaking very slowly. About 1-2psi per day.

So, here is my dilema... I've got the winter snow and rims that I planned to put on in about 3 weeks. The guy at the tire place OBVIOUSLY wants to sell me a set of 4 replacements right NOW.

So, my options are as follows:

1) Continue to drive on it for another three weeks and take my chances. I drive on a major highway into work everyday (that does not have a shoulder) so if I blow the tire, I'm f*cked!

2) Put snows on right away. It's probably too early to put them on and I'll cause premature wear on them, if the weather stays warm (highs of low 60's to high 50's and lows in the mid to high 40's).

3) Buy a new set right now, put them on for a few weeks and swap the snows when the time comes.

*So, obviously if I can avoid laying out the money for #3, I'd much rather wait and replace them in the spring. But this brings out another question, which do I replace?

The rear tires have a pretty good amount of tread left on them. Certainly one more summer (the stock tires have about 18,000 miles on them). When I replace the tires, I intended on buying the Hankook's from Knightshade's article. However, if I only swap out the front tires, can I mix and match?

Any and all input is appreciated.

You can put different tires on the front than the rear... and in "normal" driving it'll probably be ok...

In less normal driving, or significantly wet conditions, I'd certainly strongly prefer to run the same tread pattern front and rear.

My fronts were fubared by 17.7k miles, and I put the Hankooks on all 4 rims, despite the rears clearly being good a while longer... the OEM tires kinda sucked anyway so I was happy to be rid of them.

That said, unless you drive INSANE amounts of miles a week, you'd probably be fine putting the winters on a few weeks early and waiting till spring for new summer tires.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Thanks man. Appreciate the input.

Probably don't have much choice in it because my car went "miraculously" from 35psi to 10psi on the drive in to work today.

I'm putting the dummy on in a few hours and I have an appointment to put the snows on tomorrow afternoon.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Blizzaks are now one. Car never feels quite the same with them.

Now I have to figure out how I intend on getting my new tires. Was hoping to get them from Tire Rack to my US address, but that would mean I would have to drive 3 1/2 hours on the existing tires when Spring rolls around. Not sure that is such a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page