LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ride Height - F-Sport Pkg Vs. F-Sport Spring accessory

Question:

Is there any ride height difference between a F-Sport pkg equipped IS350 from the factory and IS350 with separately installed F-Sport spring from the F-Sport accessories??

- We know the Sport package, which was available upto 2010 model, lowers the front of the car by what... 1/2 inch?

- It *seems* F-Sport pkg 2011 IS350 front has 1 inch drop. It measured the wheel well gap between '11 IS250 non-F-sport pkg vs. '11 F-sport IS350 and it's over an inch difference. Please correct me if my info is wrong.

- So F-Sport pkg equipped IS350 ride height any different than IS350 with F-Sport springs installed???? Please confirm, share info.

Thanks!!!

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
Question:

Is there any ride height difference between a F-Sport pkg equipped IS350 from the factory and IS350 with separately installed F-Sport spring from the F-Sport accessories??

- We know the Sport package, which was available upto 2010 model, lowers the front of the car by what... 1/2 inch?

- It *seems* F-Sport pkg 2011 IS350 front has 1 inch drop. It measured the wheel well gap between '11 IS250 non-F-sport pkg vs. '11 F-sport IS350 and it's over an inch difference. Please correct me if my info is wrong.

- So F-Sport pkg equipped IS350 ride height any different than IS350 with F-Sport springs installed???? Please confirm, share info.

Thanks!!!

Lexus sucks at naming things.

the "f-sport" option on 2011+ models does not include any actual F-sport parts other than wheels.

It re-uses the old sport suspension shocks and springs from the 06-10 "sport package" option (which had a bunch of other nice things the F-sport pkg doesn't come with).

So you have a 0.4 inch front, no drop in the rear. And best of all, the springs are linear.

The actual F-sport shocks and springs (which, again, don't come on "F-sport" model cars) gives a 0.8" and 1" drop respectively and, sadly, are progressive springs.

I can't speak to wheel gap other than to say it's not the proper way to measure ride height (from the ground is where you measure ride height)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Lexus sucks at naming things.

the "f-sport" option on 2011+ models does not include any actual F-sport parts other than wheels.
What about the steering wheel, seats, front bumper??? The steering wheel has F-Sport logo on it, and is thicker, is ventilated. It is definitely not the same as the non-F-Sport equipped IS350. You are starting to talk like F-Sport pkg IS350 has nothing...

Quote:
It re-uses the old sport suspension shocks and springs from the 06-10 "sport package" option (which had a bunch of other nice things the F-sport pkg doesn't come with).

So you have a 0.4 inch front, no drop in the rear. And best of all, the springs are linear.
Now that's good to know. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:
The actual F-sport shocks and springs (which, again, don't come on "F-sport" model cars) gives a 0.8" and 1" drop respectively and, sadly, are progressive springs.
You mean 1" drop on the front, 0.8" drop on the back, right? I just want to make sure, please confirm.

And why do you not like the progressive springs? What is the pros and cons versus the linear springs. As always, you are my lifesavior, hehe!

Quote:
I can't speak to wheel gap other than to say it's not the proper way to measure ride height (from the ground is where you measure ride height)
True, it is not the correct way to measure ride height. However love the fact that the wheel well gap is soooooooo much tighter on the F-Sport pkg IS350 (Sport pkg IS350's too, which are the same). The wheel well gap was HUGE on the non-F-Sport or non-Sport pkg 2IS. I was shocked when I drove the IS250 loaner. It felt like I was riding a Jeep or SUV.

And yeah, I noticed the F-Sport pkg doesn't come with things like memory seats and telescopic steering wheel like the '08 Sport pkg IS350 did... bummer. I wonder if telescopic steering wheel adds weight though, any opinions?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The 2011 F-sport package is supposed to be about an inch lower than the regular non f-sport, I read it somewhere on Lexus and now I can't find it 'cause they changed the site with the 2012 models
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Extremist

Quote:
What about the steering wheel, seats, front bumper??? The steering wheel has F-Sport logo on it, and is thicker, is ventilated. It is definitely not the same as the non-F-Sport equipped IS350. You are starting to talk like F-Sport pkg IS350 has nothing...
it has nothing that are actual F-sport parts was why the naming sucks on Lexus part

F-sport is a line of accessory parts, none of which come on the F-sport option package-

F Sport Equipment: Lexus Performance Parts and Accessories - Overview

Overview 19-in (RWD) and 18-in (AWD) 10-spoke Forged Alloy Wheels
19-in Full-Face Forged Alloy Wheels (RWD)
Lowering Spring Set
Bilstein® Shock Absorber Set
Sway Bar Kit
Front- and Rear-Brake Upgrades
Onboard Tire Repair System
Performance Air Intake
Performance Exhaust
Performance Clutch Set
Quickshifter Kit
Shift Knob
Carbon Fiber Engine Cover
Under Chassis Brace
Wheel Installation Kit

You don't get any of those things with the F-sport package on a new IS.

You mostly get the unique wheels, a bunch of badges that say F-sport and some cosmetic changes like the wheel... (and the seats from the IS-F, but with an F-sport badge on it, which means you lose out on ventilated seats in favor of bigger side bolsters).

Don't get me wrong, some of it looks very good, but apart from carrying over the old sport package suspension, it's an appearance package not a performance package... and worse, it's very very misleading to buyers, many of whom assume they're getting the actual F-sport performance parts in the package and are then surprised when they'd have to pay extra if they want an F-sport intake, or F-sport exhaust, or F-sport sway bars, on their already-named-F-sport car.

Quote:

You mean 1" drop on the front, 0.8" drop on the back, right? I just want to make sure, please confirm.
yeah, sorry reversed that...to be exact it is:
25mm (0.98 inch) in front, 19mm (0.75 inch) in rears.

Quote:
And why do you not like the progressive springs? What is the pros and cons versus the linear springs. As always, you are my lifesavior, hehe!
Linear springs are predictable, with good solid feedback, and more importantly the shock is designed to work with that known spring rate.

A progressive spring is a compromise, like all-season tires which I also dislike, so it's not great at either thing it tries to do... the rate changes depending on what you're doing, so it's impossible to correctly match a shock to it so that it's ideal for all spring rates. The shock will only be effective during part of the suspension travel. This is why some folks have found the F-sport springs to be floaty or rough on uneven roads, especially with the stock shocks.

Quote:
And yeah, I noticed the F-Sport pkg doesn't come with things like memory seats and telescopic steering wheel like the '08 Sport pkg IS350 did... bummer. I wonder if telescopic steering wheel adds weight though, any opinions?
Well, it requires a motor, so it probably adds a few pounds... not terribly significant on a 3500ish pound car already though.

But yeah the old sport package had those things, plus vented seats, and also had rain-sensing wipers, auto tilt and dim side mirrors, and HIDs (which is no longer relevant for 350 owners since they're standard on 350s as of 2011, but still relevant for 250 owners)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Didn't you say in some previous thread(s) that F-Sport pkg IS350 has F-Sport wheels? And you did mention the wheels I got are lighter than the Non-F-Sport or Sport pkg IS350's, correct? Please bare with me as this is really important to me.

And thank you for the awesome info. it is much appreciated. And glad to know I got linear rate springs.

Now I'm gonna go home and cry now knowing the fact that my F-Sport pkg Is350 isn't all that. I'm gonna get depressed.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Didn't you say in some previous thread(s) that F-Sport pkg IS350 has F-Sport wheels? And you did mention the wheels I got are lighter than the Non-F-Sport or Sport pkg IS350's, correct? Please bare with me as this is really important to me.

And thank you for the awesome info. it is much appreciated. And glad to know I got linear rate springs.

Now I'm gonna go home and cry now knowing the fact that my F-Sport pkg Is350 isn't all that. I'm gonna get depressed.
The F-sport package has it's own set of 18" wheels... they're different from the 19" RWD "F-sport accessory" wheels (and different from the 18" AWD "F-sport accessory" wheels too).

and hey, as I said, some of the F-sport package options look quite nice, and the sport suspension is 'better' than the F-sport accessory suspension IMHO... I just wish they'd kept the old sport package and then offered an "F-sport appearance package" with just the seats, wheels, and badging stuff... this way someone who wanted the best of both packages could have it rather than having to pick between the appearance stuff and, say, having memory seats.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
The F-sport package has it's own set of 18" wheels... they're different from the 19" RWD "F-sport accessory" wheels (and different from the 18" AWD "F-sport accessory" wheels too).

I just wish they'd kept the old sport package and then offered an "F-sport appearance package" with just the seats, wheels, and badging stuff... this way someone who wanted the best of both packages could have it rather than having to pick between the appearance stuff and, say, having memory seats.
Aw man that's crazy... Lexus to me made things confusing and complicated. I want SIMPLICITY, LOL!

I am clear now all this trick Lexus is managing with packages and F-Sport *accessories*. Thanks so much for the info. You are my lifesavior...

I agree too, wish it had same old Sport package items + F-Sport appearance for the F-Sport package.

Quote:
and hey, as I said, some of the F-sport package options look quite nice, and the sport suspension is 'better' than the F-sport accessory suspension IMHO...
I'm glad to hear it! I feel better now, LOL!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Lurker

I feel my F Sport is a bargain!! The seats alone sold me as I went to the dealer intending to buy an IS 350 AWD. I sat in those seats and said "hell with AWD!! I'll buy snow tires!". The upgraded shocks and springs made a tremendous difference in handling. The front/rear spoiler, wheels, badges, ISF style grill, exclusive silver/blue dash color....all great. $2400 before negotiation? I love mine.

I did drop about $2400 in F Sport options too boot so I have one sweet ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page