User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooter View Post
No no he's right, I also test drove the ISF, the convertible one, they must have numbed it down some. Come to think of it the even had different badging. Wait a minute....
FYI. There is no convertible IS-F. Perhaps you're mistaking the ISx50 F-Sport convertible for an IS-F.

2007 IS350 - Tungsten Pearl - Lux Pack/Non ML Nav/Parking Assist/Headlamp Washer/18" OEM Wheels-
-Sport Pedals/Flat Bottom Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel/LED & Carbon Fiber Interior/ISF Steering Damper-
-GFX Sides, Rear, Spoiler/AVS Visors/Jun-TW Roof Spoiler/3000k Fogs+5000k HID/F-Sport Intake-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd trust Kightshade's opinion. Dood knows his stuff.

I use the "sport" shifting mode regularly unless I'm on the phone, drinking water, changing a CD, or in heavy traffic. then I take advantage of the convenience of an automatic.

I never use the paddles. Too far back from the wheel to easily reach with my fingers. Kind of a pain. I miss the buttons on the wheel of my old 300 IS.

For the record, there are several things I miss about my 300 IS. Might be a fun thread to start......
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Loyalist

822609400 I know exactly what you're talking about. In the Infiniti when you go into manual mode and select a gear it will hold that gear no matter what. It won't down shift it won't upshift. You can floor it and rev till redline and bounce it off the revlimiter but it won't upshift. You can be going 50, put it into 7th gear and floor it and the car will just bog down but it won't down shift. Manual mode is "manual mode". The only time it will down shift by itself is if you slowdown and are coming to a stop so that the engine won't stall.

Not like my old IS that would only limit the highest gear you select, it would down shift as it sees fit which is pretty stupid for a manual mode if you ask me. I think most autos are like this, more idiot proof for idiot drivers. I tried the BMW auto and it acted the same way even in manual mode it would shift on it's own if you hit redline or stomped on the gas.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHCrocks View Post
822609400 I know exactly what you're talking about. In the Infiniti when you go into manual mode and select a gear it will hold that gear no matter what. It won't down shift it won't upshift. You can floor it and rev till redline and bounce it off the revlimiter but it won't upshift. You can be going 50, put it into 7th gear and floor it and the car will just bog down but it won't down shift. Manual mode is "manual mode". The only time it will down shift by itself is if you slowdown and are coming to a stop so that the engine won't stall.

Not like my old IS that would only limit the highest gear you select, it would down shift as it sees fit which is pretty stupid for a manual mode if you ask me. I think most autos are like this, more idiot proof for idiot drivers. I tried the BMW auto and it acted the same way even in manual mode it would shift on it's own if you hit redline or stomped on the gas.
^822609400 like this. XD thank you for ur understanding!

02 TL TYPE S (Intake,Exhaust) A Spec kit
04 G35 COUPE (Stock) Greddy kit
08 IS350 F SPORT (Fajita Intake, HKS Exhaust) Ing's kit
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Yes, and the IS-F is like that too. But better and quicker at it.

The ISx50 does not offer this feature and was never intended to (though you CAN bounce off the rev limiter all day long in whatever top gear you limit it to, but that's it... it'll still automatically up and down shift within the allowed range and you can't, ever, manually command a gear shift)
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
Yes, and the IS-F is like that too. But better and quicker at it.

The ISx50 does not offer this feature and was never intended to (though you CAN bounce off the rev limiter all day long in whatever top gear you limit it to, but that's it... it'll still automatically up and down shift within the allowed range and you can't, ever, manually command a gear shift)
Hemmm, I guess I'll have to play with it a bit more... seems to me that it would downshift, with the paddles pretty much on command.. But yes it does still shift up and down on its own... tring to protect the engine and trans from dummys I guess.. I've seen a lot of drivers start playing with the sport mode paddles and then just stop... not remembering to put it back in regular mode.. maybe they need two modes.. sport mode for the dummies and manual modes for those of us who really want a manual trans sometimes.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by itruns View Post
I've seen a lot of drivers start playing with the sport mode paddles and then just stop... not remembering to put it back in regular mode.. maybe they need two modes.. sport mode for the dummies and manual modes for those of us who really want a manual trans sometimes.
That's how the Infiniti works. if you just use the paddles with the shift lever left in drive you can shift up and down but if you leave it alone after about 30seconds and are just cruzing along then it will go back into auto mode. If you put the trans in manual mode then it will stay in manual mode forever.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Extremist

Quote:
That's how the Infiniti works. if you just use the paddles with the shift lever left in drive you can shift up and down but if you leave it alone after about 30seconds and are just cruzing along then it will go back into auto mode. If you put the trans in manual mode then it will stay in manual mode forever.
For the ISx50-

On 06-08 models the paddles do nothing at all when the car is in D, they only work in S mode.

On 09+ models the paddles work largely as you describe when in D.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Excuse me for being ignorant and if I'm beating a dead horse . . .

I've owned an exotic sports car with an F1 transmission and paddle shifters. It was a blast to drive! Click the + paddle and you would shift up, the - to shift down . . . duh!

How, exactly, do you utilize the ISx50 paddles? And why would Lexus go to the expense of designing and building paddles and the "manual" shift mode?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Geezer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevang View Post
Excuse me for being ignorant and if I'm beating a dead horse . . .

I've owned an exotic sports car with an F1 transmission and paddle shifters. It was a blast to drive! Click the + paddle and you would shift up, the - to shift down . . . duh!

How, exactly, do you utilize the ISx50 paddles? And why would Lexus go to the expense of designing and building paddles and the "manual" shift mode?
Read in this thread starting here:

https://my.is/forums/6523651-post6.html

It's explained pretty clearly.

MOLON LABE
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info Bartkat and Knightshade

So . . . as a driver of an automobile, how do you use this option???
Why would I "set" the transmission to max at 3rd or 4th or whatever gear?
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevang View Post
Thanks for the info Bartkat and Knightshade

So . . . as a driver of an automobile, how do you use this option???
Why would I "set" the transmission to max at 3rd or 4th or whatever gear?
Normally, you probably wouldn't.

But let's say you're coming down out of the mountains and would prefer to get to the bottom with working brakes... locking out the top 2 or 3 gears would be a good way to control your speed without overheating your brakes on the way down.

Plus I'm sure Lexus gets some mileage out of their deceptive habit of calling them shifters, despite the fact they're not actually shifters, and thus sells a few extra cars to folks who might otherwise be jealous of the paddles in their friends 3-series or G37
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page