Paddle shifter - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Paddle shifter

Lexus has the stupidest tiprontic shifter IMO, what's the point of it? it basically just holds ur gear and that's it. *It doesn't shift when u want it to.

Is there a way to mod it, so it become a real tiprontic? Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Altruist

You could try the rare LFA trans swap, it wont be cheap though.

Seriously what kind of stupid first post is this
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChimpo View Post
You could try the rare LFA trans swap, it wont be cheap though.

Seriously what kind of stupid first post is this
Dude do u know what I m
Talking about? Have u try other tiprontic before? Lexus has the stupidest one. What kind of stupid answer is that from u?

02 TL TYPE S (Intake,Exhaust) A Spec kit
04 G35 COUPE (Stock) Greddy kit
08 IS350 F SPORT (Fajita Intake, HKS Exhaust) Ing's kit

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Altruist

It works the same as the ones in the Infiniti G
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChimpo View Post
It works the same as the ones in the Infiniti G
Lol!! Okay I own a G35, TL type s and an iS350. Do u own an is350 or a G?
G35 and TLS has the same kind of tiprontic. Lexus has it's own tiprontic Which it only hold gears like D2 D3 D4 in a regular automatic car.

If u dunno what I m talking about, just do some research, Or watch fifth gear driving an ISF, they will explain it.

Also it isn't a swapping tranny thing, it is a computer thing -_-

Last edited by JohnnyChimpo; 11-16-2011 at 07:20 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 822609400 View Post
Lol!! Okay I own a G35, TL type s and an iS350. Do u own an is350 or a G?
G35 and TLS has the same kind of tiprontic. Lexus has it's own tiprontic Which it only hold gears like D2 D3 D4 in a regular automatic car.

If u dunno what I m talking about, just do some research, Or watch fifth gear driving an ISF, they will explain it.

Also it isn't a swapping tranny thing, it is a computer thing -_-
You're confused about some stuff.

Your first mistake is thinking the ISx50 has any manual shifter at all... it doesn't. It's not a tiptronic.

The only thing the paddles do is let you set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use.

Paddle it to 4 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-4 and shift automatically between them.

Paddle it to 3 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-3 and shift automatically between them.

And so on.

At no point can you ever directly shift the transmission, nor are you intended to.

If you want that, get an IS-F. Which has a completely different transmission with a true manual mode (that is vastly superior to what is in the G, or the Acura for that matter)

The paddles are useless for drag racing or something if that's what you're trying to do with them.

They're nice for preserving your brakes coming down out of the mountains, but not a ton else.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
You're confused about some stuff.

Your first mistake is thinking the ISx50 has any manual shifter at all... it doesn't. It's not a tiptronic.

The only thing the paddles do is let you set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use.

Paddle it to 4 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-4 and shift automatically between them.

Paddle it to 3 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-3 and shift automatically between them.

And so on.

At no point can you ever directly shift the transmission, nor are you intended to.

If you want that, get an IS-F. Which has a completely different transmission with a true manual mode (that is vastly superior to what is in the G, or the Acura for that matter)

The paddles are useless for drag racing or something if that's what you're trying to do with them.

They're nice for preserving your brakes coming down out of the mountains, but not a ton else.
Yeah, that's what i meant "set maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use." I m not confused, I just didn't know how to say it, thanks XD.

I do not agree with you that ISF's manual mode is better than ISX50 nor G or Acura, cuz it isn't. I test drove an 08 ISF, it has the exact same xxxx as the ISX50 (set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use) THE ONLY different is it has twin clutch so it shift faster. It is NOT direct shift.

Infinti and Acura still have the true manual mode which allow you to SHIFT like a manual car (Direct shift).

What I want to find out here is "is there a way to mod the computer or w/e to make my IS350 Direct shift like Infiniti/Acura/BMW/Audi, etc..
I only know Lexus has this kind of stupid tiprontic..

Thanks for ur reply!

Last edited by bartkat; 11-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Follower

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Extremist

Quote:

I do not agree with you that ISF's manual mode is better than ISX50 nor G or Acura, cuz it isn't. I test drove an 08 ISF, it has the exact same shit as the ISX50 (set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use)
No, it is not the same.

If you really test drove one, you never actually put it in M mode.

M mode is fully manual.

the IS-F transmission is completely different than the ISx50 one.

Quote:
THE ONLY different is it has twin clutch so it shift faster. It is NOT direct shift.
The IS-F does not have a twin clutch. Again you don't seem to understand the IS-F transmission at all. It has a single lock-up clutch via a traditional torque converter.

Quote:
Infinti and Acura still have the true manual mode which allow you to SHIFT like a manual car (Direct shift).
So does the IS-F. And a much better one too. It offers full manual mode and much faster shifts.

Quote:
What I want to find out here is "is there a way to mod the computer or w/e to make my IS350 Direct shift like Infiniti/Acura/BMW/Audi, etc..
No, there isn't. The transmission was never designed or intended to be anything but fully automatic. If you want this feature you need an IS-F. Which again has a completely different transmission. The IS-F direct manual mode isn't only due to programming, it was designed very differently from the ground up to support this feature (lockup engages in all gears but first, not just higher gears... special high-flow solenoids were designed for the line pressures, etc)

In Detail: The Lexus IS F 8-Speed Sport Direct Shift Transmission - AutoSpies Auto News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info about the IS-F transmission
The worlds fastest shift time for street legal production cars. At 0.1 second, it’s faster than you.

• Full manual shift control that can be instantly accessed by moving the console-mounted shift lever to “M” and then using either the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters or the shift lever. In manual mode, it shifts only when you tell it to.
Or from lexus.com itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus
This IS F's Sport Direct-Shift transmission uses a special lock-up clutch for improved responsiveness, plus a control system that enables virtually instant manual upshifts (as quick as 0.1 seconds) and blips the throttle on downshifts, while giving the driver full control over gear selection.
It sounds like you either never test drove an IS-F (maybe it was an F-sport ISx50 and you didn't know the difference?) or you never tried M mode when you drove a real IS-F, because it doesn't work, at all, as you describe it working... instead it's a true direct-shift manual mode that goes into exactly the gear you put it in and stays there until you tell it otherwise.

Last edited by Knightshade; 11-17-2011 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Follower

It seems that 822609400 appears to be behind on things, lol.

Time to get updated.

Seriously, you need to listen to what knightshade says. He is giving you the correct info.

And you see, when I bought the '11 IS350, I bought it knowing that it is fully automatic. I can use the SS mode to assign top limiting gear.

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles

Last edited by Cheez; 11-17-2011 at 11:58 AM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
No no he's right, I also test drove the ISF, the convertible one, they must have numbed it down some. Come to think of it the even had different badging. Wait a minute....
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Alright thanks man, I will go to Lexus again then XD maybe it was my mistake about the isf.

I guess there's no way to make it direct shift. sighss... Love everything about my 350 but that.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Alright thanks man, I will go to Lexus again then XD maybe it was my mistake about the isf.

I guess there's no way to make it direct shift. sighss... Love everything about my 350 but that.
No worries... I agree it'd be a nice feature, but bear in mind the 2IS is an old model at this point... it was available in late summer 2005. Which means primary design work was done in 03-04... the current (2012) model is likely the last one of this generation.

Ideally the 3IS will offer a direct-shift auto of some kind.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
No worries... I agree it'd be a nice feature, but bear in mind the 2IS is an old model at this point... it was available in late summer 2005. Which means primary design work was done in 03-04... the current (2012) model is likely the last one of this generation.

Ideally the 3IS will offer a direct-shift auto of some kind.

I just thot it's weird for the is350 cuz my 2002 TL s and 04 G35 coupe are direct shift :/ and they are older cars lol..

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Follower

Quote:
I just thot it's weird for the is350 cuz my 2002 TL s and 04 G35 coupe are direct shift :/ and they are older cars lol..
I find that hard to believe. I owned an '06 TL 6MT, and test drove an AUTO loaner and it took a long time to respond to the up shift command using paddle. Or am I having brain fart? I thought I remembered this..

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page