User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Noob questions about IS350 maintenance

Hello ppl,
first of all, id say i really like this forum as i can find lots of useful information here.. this is my first time here, but i have had my 09 is350 for a year now..

i live in calgary, alberta, so im about to do the oil change at 25,000 km. so i called in lexus of calgary and they told me the maintenance package is about $300 which is obviously a ripoff. i know they usually just do oil change and inspect lots of other things, so i told them i only wanted an oil change with synthetic and its about $150. and i will probably change the air cabin filter myself sometimes.

so here is my situation. im just throwing this out there to see how you guys usually handle your oil change and maintenance, like what else do you usually do except engine oil and air filter. if possible, is there any referred place in calgary that i could go to, maybe to save a few bucks? lol

thank you very much people.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please forgive that this is all in miles not km-

What your car actually needs for scheduled service-

Every 5k-
Oil change**see below notes on oil changes

Every 15k-
Check air and cabin filters (do yourself, takes 5 minutes)

Every 30k-
Change air and cabin filters (do this yourself, takes 5 minutes)
Change brake fluid

Every 60k-
Change spark plugs

Every 100k-
Change coolant

That is IT.

Anything else is BS your dealer is trying to push on you that the people who built the car don't think you need.

Don't EVERY ask for the "X miles" service since as you found out they'll double the price (or more) and not do anything additional.

My local dealer gets $50 for an oil change, non-synthetic. Speaking of oil changes though-

The manual says every 5k.

Using synthetic is a total waste of money if you're actually doing it this often (which is WAY more often than you really need to do it unless you only ever take short trips where the car never warms up or you spend a ton of time idling it).

UOA on a lot of 2ISes show that even conventional oil is perfectly fine for 10k miles under non-severe-duty driving... and any synthetic ought be good for 1/yr changes up to 15-20k miles.

(if you ARE only taking short trips and/or idling a lot then my recommendation is change the oil every 3 months, regardless of mileage, with the cheapest oil you can find)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Aficionado

I pay $37 or $38 inclusive of all taxes at Nihon for a standard oil change with and OEM filter. I believe the guys at Bullock City, north of Toronto are even cheaper.

I believe you can probably find yourself a competent place that will not charge you outrageous Lexus amounts.

2008 IS350 Starfire Pearl
JoeZ Intake & K&N Air Filter

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Immortal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post

Every 5k-

Every 15k-
Check air and cabin filters (do yourself, takes 5 minutes)

Every 30k-
Change air and cabin filters (do this yourself, takes 5 minutes)
Change brake fluid

Every 60k-
Change spark plugs

Every 100k-
Change coolant

That is IT.

Anything else is BS your dealer is trying to push on you that the people who built the car don't think you need.

Don't EVERY ask for the "X miles" service since as you found out they'll double the price (or more) and not do anything additional.

My local dealer gets $50 for an oil change, non-synthetic. Speaking of oil changes though-

Using synthetic is a total waste of money if you're actually doing it this often (which is WAY more often than you really need to do it unless you only ever take short trips where the car never warms up or you spend a ton of time idling it).

UOA on a lot of 2ISes show that even conventional oil is perfectly fine for 10k miles under non-severe-duty driving... and any synthetic ought be good for 1/yr changes up to 15-20k miles.

(if you ARE only taking short trips and/or idling a lot then my recommendation is change the oil every 3 months, regardless of mileage, with the cheapest oil you can find)
Timing belt?? Hoses??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSchmonda View Post
I would give Denard a blowjob while I wear my #16 Michigan jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
maybe your the one that's stupid. It's spelt "Canada", not "canadia"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Timing belt??
Doesn't have one.

Quote:
Hoses??
Just like brake pads or wiper blades- replace when they're worn out. There's no scheduled interval for that as it'll depend greatly on the driving conditions for each car.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Immortal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Doesn't have one.

Just like brake pads or wiper blades- replace when they're worn out. There's no scheduled interval for that as it'll depend greatly on the driving conditions for each car.
The 350 doesn't have a timing belt? That's awesome! Any maintenance associated with the chain (I assume it's a chain?) that would warrant attention at certain mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSchmonda View Post
I would give Denard a blowjob while I wear my #16 Michigan jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
maybe your the one that's stupid. It's spelt "Canada", not "canadia"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Extremist

Quote:
The 350 doesn't have a timing belt? That's awesome! Any maintenance associated with the chain (I assume it's a chain?) that would warrant attention at certain mileage?
it's 3 chains actually...and should be good for the life of the car
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Fiend

Quote:

Every 5k-
....My local dealer gets $50 for an oil change, non-synthetic. Speaking of oil changes though-

This has got me a little scared. In my '08 IS 350, I've been doing Mobil 1 since my first non-complimentary oil change iirc. I've been pushing 10k-12k OCI since then. My daily commute to work (usually 4 times per week) wasaround 25 miles each way, mainly highway driving, some slowdown areas.

However, I do have a bad habit of taking naps in my car often during lunch a few times a week and often, when the weather's bad, the car's AC or heat is usually on.

That being said, late last year, (almost two years after first buying the car), I sent an oil sample to blackstone to have a UOA done. I've attached a .pdf w/ their results and below in blockquote is my e-mail exchange with them.

I'm wondering if everything's ok w/ my long OCI w/ the excessive idling.

I got a new job in the city so I'm taking public transportation in. So 3 times a week I'd be driving to the Metro stop to get on (the 4th day I'd drive in). That commute's around 10 miles. This I think is ok - I'm wondering what counts as Short Trips.

But if I take the commuter train in, then I'd be doing a drive that's only a few miles. That I'm thinking would fall under severe - in which case I should stop using synthetic, get dino oil (any suggestions on what's good and cheap?), and change my oil every 3 months regardless of mileage.

Quote:

Me to Them (Thu, Oct 28, 2010)
This is the 4th oil change the car has seen. First one around 5k miles, second around 11k miles, 3rd one around 21k miles and this latest one was 32,90.

thank you, did I cause any damage to my car by pushing the oil almost 12k miles? Also, would it be good to change my filter maybe earlier and then push the oil longer or around the same point?

If my oil and filter are good for 11k miles though, then I guess I can just change both then.. that's a decent interval

Them to Me: (Fri, Oct 29, 2010)
Thanks for the e-mail. Since your at the fourth oil change, it's hard to blame these findings on wear-in anymore. I don't think you did any damage to the engine by running the oil this far, though I don't think it would be a good idea to run the oil any longer, at least for now. An early oil filter change may be a good idea. Try changing the oil filter at 5,000-6,000 miles and running the next oil to 11,000 miles and lets see what happens to wear.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,
Ryan Stark
Blackstone Labs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101028-Blackstone Oil Report for IS 350-32k+ miles-edited.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	31053  

2003-2004: 2001 Blue IS 300
2009-2012: 2008 IS 350 SGM w/ Sports Package and non-ML Nav (Bought new 1/2009)
Had Done: Navi Hack w/ Switch install, VAIS SL2Vi
Parents: 2006 SGM IS 350 (2012-present)

Last edited by Shahryar; 08-19-2011 at 03:35 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar View Post
This has got me a little scared. In my '08 IS 350, I've been doing Mobil 1 since my first non-complimentary oil change iirc. I've been pushing 10k-12k OCI since then. My daily commute to work (usually 4 times per week) wasaround 25 miles each way, mainly highway driving, some slowdown areas.

However, I do have a bad habit of taking naps in my car often during lunch a few times a week and often, when the weather's bad, the car's AC or heat is usually on.

That being said, late last year, (almost two years after first buying the car), I sent an oil sample to blackstone to have a UOA done. I've attached a .pdf w/ their results and below in blockquote is my e-mail exchange with them.

I'm wondering if everything's ok w/ my long OCI w/ the excessive idling.

I got a new job in the city so I'm taking public transportation in. So 3 times a week I'd be driving to the Metro stop to get on (the 4th day I'd drive in). That commute's around 10 miles. This I think is ok - I'm wondering what counts as Short Trips.

But if I take the commuter train in, then I'd be doing a drive that's only a few miles. That I'm thinking would fall under severe - in which case I should stop using synthetic, get dino oil (any suggestions on what's good and cheap?), and change my oil every 3 months regardless of mileage.
Yeah, idling like that is not a good way to treat the engine or the oil... as to what constitutes a short trip- if the engine doesn't have time to get to operating temp and run for a few minutes after that to burn off any crap in the oil, that's a short trip.

25 miles one way is fine... 10 miles one way is probably approaching short trip range (depending a bit on how long that actually takes, weather, etc)... anything less is certainly a short trip.

If you switch to the only-a-couple-miles driving then I'd certainly change to dino oil and just change it every 3 months.... if you go with the 10-mile trip I'd probably say go ahead and do a filter change half-way through a 12k change interval, and see what the UOA says then decide from there... if it looks good you're all set, if it doesn't then probably go the cheap 3 month change route.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Fiend

^ Thanks for the advice as always. I'll post an update later.

2003-2004: 2001 Blue IS 300
2009-2012: 2008 IS 350 SGM w/ Sports Package and non-ML Nav (Bought new 1/2009)
Had Done: Navi Hack w/ Switch install, VAIS SL2Vi
Parents: 2006 SGM IS 350 (2012-present)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page