New owner soon... :) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New owner soon... :)

Whats up everybody. Im new to this forum. So i would i first like to introduce myself, (idk if this is where i should do it) but mods can move this if they would like too...

My first car that i ever owned is a 08 scion tc, and I still drive it today. I am looking to get an lexus IS. It will either be a user 08+ is350 or 08+is250 awd. Is there anything i should know or be aware of when buying one. I want it with the navigation system...

Also is this only IS forum or is there another one you guys go to. Also is there a thread on here where you guys just post some sick pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenIs View Post
Whats up everybody. Im new to this forum. So i would i first like to introduce myself, (idk if this is where i should do it) but mods can move this if they would like too...

My first car that i ever owned is a 08 scion tc, and I still drive it today. I am looking to get an lexus IS. It will either be a user 08+ is350 or 08+is250 awd. Is there anything i should know or be aware of when buying one. I want it with the navigation system...

Also is this only IS forum or is there another one you guys go to. Also is there a thread on here where you guys just post some sick pictures?
The other big forum is club lexus, which has a more active 2IS section... they also have a nice FAQ on buying a 2IS-

Buyers guide-
Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads) - Club Lexus Forums

Overall FAQ for 2IS-
2IS FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and DIY Thread - NEW MEMBERS PLEASE START HERE - Club Lexus Forums

As to which to buy of the ones you mention-

Do you care about performance/speed at all?

If so buy the 350. Period. It's about 10% more $ (possibly 0% more compared to an AWD 250), 10% worse mileage (again possibly 0% compared to an AWD 250), and 50% more power.

There's also no reason to buy AWD at all for most people... Most folks are lazy and don't look into things so they buy AWD if they get any snow, then leave crappy all-season tires on the car year round...

Smart folks buy summer tires to run 3 seasons, and winter tires for the winter, and RWD owners who do that will drive circles around those AWD owners in pretty much all circumstances other than climbing steep hills in the snow.

If you've been getting around fine in a 2WD Scion you'll be just as fine in a 2WD IS350 with proper tires.

Biggest thing I'd advise is find one still in factory warranty... (which is 50,000 miles or 4 years from first use, whichever comes first... ALL 2008s are still in warranty time-wise, but the earliest ones begin to drop out in about 2 months)

The reason is there are a number of TSIBs (minor issues some folks experience) that are all fixed free under warranty, and out of pocket afterward. None of these are things that'll stop the car from running or anything if you ignore them, but they're nice to get fixed free if you can... (things like if you plug an ipod into the AUX jack while ALSO powering it from the cigarette jack you'll get alternator whine in the audio unless you get the fix done)

The other big plus is still being in factory warranty gives you the option of buying the Lexus platinum extended warranty... which I HIGHLY recommend, especially if you want a model with nav.

Do NOT buy it from your local dealer.... there's a few dealers who sell to anyone online a lot cheaper and it's the same warranty... (do a search on Jerry Johnson or Troy Deitrich, those are two of the cheapest- get quotes from both)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Fiend

Garage
Welcome!

^^ Agree.. although i dont have a isx50.. i do have a is300... but what knightshade says about the power, and awd is completely true.. is250 actually has less hp than is300.. its a very little diffrence but the is250 awd also weighs more so it can come out to a pretty good diffrence.

since your coming from a 08 scion, getting into a lexus will be like going from being a toddler to being a man haha... but you will have fun in the lexus, no matter what you buy... (but mostly fun in the is350 =])

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM

if you got the money 350 all the way dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page