New IS350 owner... - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New IS350 owner...

I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for the last few months as I tried to decide what car to get. Seems to be a lot of great information out here though, so want to start off with thank you.

I was torn between BMW and Lexus (various models between each) but in the end decided to go with the IS350 based on reliability and cost of ownership.

Looking at the reliability piece, my question is should I get the extended Lexus warranty (additional 3.5 years and 50K miles) for $1,655?

The car has less than 26k miles on it and just over 9 months of the original warranty remaining. From what I can tell all regular maintenance has been done at the Lexus dealership and it's been in Dallas so no major weather concerns to speak of.

I'm usually a pretty cautious guy but based on everything I've read I don't know if I really need the warranty. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn-IS350 View Post
I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for the last few months as I tried to decide what car to get. Seems to be a lot of great information out here though, so want to start off with thank you.

I was torn between BMW and Lexus (various models between each) but in the end decided to go with the IS350 based on reliability and cost of ownership.

Looking at the reliability piece, my question is should I get the extended Lexus warranty (additional 3.5 years and 50K miles) for $1,655?

The car has less than 26k miles on it and just over 9 months of the original warranty remaining. From what I can tell all regular maintenance has been done at the Lexus dealership and it's been in Dallas so no major weather concerns to speak of.
I'm usually a pretty cautious guy but based on everything I've read I don't know if I really need the warranty. Thoughts?

You might can get the warranty a little cheaper, try Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota. You can contact him at 800-530-5789, cell
620-664-8844 or email [email protected]

Also, with only 26k on your car over 3 years into ownership it sounds like you're putting only about 8k a year on? If so you might consider the 7 year/75k warranty to save even more money since at your current rate you'll only be around 50-60k miles after 7 years... in fact, you might even consider the 8 year/75k warranty as it's not much more than the 7 and gives an extra year of coverage.

In answer to your basic question, I do think it's worth it... parts alone are insanely expensive on this car, and they're pretty complex electronically...

Mind you, it's likely you won't have any problems.... but if you do you're likely to spend most of if not more than the cost of the warranty on even one repair.

My personal plan involves having the 8 year warranty on my car, then trying to sell it with about a year left on it... the extra $100ish the 8th year cost being pretty likely to more than pay itself back in additional resale value by being able to tell potential buyers the car still has a year of full warranty left on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page