User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Need to change water pump on a Lexus IS 350

After getting recall work done the dealership told me that my water pump has a small leak and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what is involved in replacing this and how much it would cost? Not looking to go get it done at Lexus cause they will charge a arm and a leg. Is it alot of work to change the water pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Follower

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What year and how many miles does your car have. It should be covered under the 7/70k powertrain warranty. Its fairly easy, if you're mechanically inclined. You have to obviously drain coolant.Remove the radiator hoses and the water outlet housing(at the top of the picture). An O-ring seals the water outlet to the water pipe so it might take a bit of effort to remove. Then remove the accessory belt and remove the water pump pulley. Then proceed to remove the pump. Take notes of where the bolts go as some of them are different in length.

Do not forget to replace all gaskets and o rings.

Here's a pic that i borrowed from Sewell Lexus:
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Thank you for the info but no way am I doing this myself. My car is a 2006 with 135K on the car. I was just wondering how much it would cost.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Follower

Where are you located. If youre in south florida i can help you out.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I am located in Toronto Ontario CA. How much do you think this will cost me?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Follower

Water pump from dealer should be around US$150 and labor depends where you go I'd say 2 hours labor
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

So it's not going to cost me 1500-2000 that's great news thank you.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSNAKE View Post
I am located in Toronto Ontario CA. How much do you think this will cost me?
I would recommend Bullockcity in Markham, Lexus techs, very fair pricing, quality work.

'06 Tungsten Pearl IS350,...with battle wounds and scars,...almost new.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Yup that is where i am heading soon. First I need to change the diff and transmission fluid then the water pump. Lexus told me it was a minor leak and i have 15000km to change it.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Yup that is where i am heading soon. First I need to change the diff and transmission fluid then the water pump. Lexus told me it was a minor leak and i have 15000km to change it.
It's physically impossible to change (any significant amount of) the transmission fluid.

Read your owners manual, it explicitly states it's intended as a sealed system and never requires changing.

It's possible to change the diff fluid, but again never, ever, called for in the scheduled service. With there being no LSD in there there's really no good reason to need to change it.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Loyalist

If you're taking it to Bullockcity for the diff fluid use Amsoil synthetic, and you won't have to change it for a long, long time

You will need a shop with a transmission flush/change unit to "replace" the fluid,..besides the ones we use on aircraft I don't think you'll find one anywhere except maybe the dealerships, they are just too expensive to have sitting around.

'06 Tungsten Pearl IS350,...with battle wounds and scars,...almost new.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubfoot View Post

You will need a shop with a transmission flush/change unit to "replace" the fluid,..besides the ones we use on aircraft I don't think you'll find one anywhere except maybe the dealerships, they are just too expensive to have sitting around.
I'm curious what you think they're going to hook a fluid exchanger up to, since the 2IS transmission has no external transmission fluid lines connected to it.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

My manual says the diff fluid needs to be changed every 48 months or 64000km. It also calls to replace the auto transmission fluid every 96000km and I was told that very same thing by my dealer. Perhaps in Canada Lexus does things differently then USA. I have no choice but to listen to Lexus and my manual. Also I am a big fan of Ams oil. Have been using their engine oil for years on both my cars ( 2001 Honda Prelude and 2006 Lexus IS350 ) and I'm very happy. Will be the first time using ams oil for the diff.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

I hope to god that the transmission fluid can be changed. I have heard some people being able to exchange the oil fluid with the new fluid at the same time using some kind of machine. MR TRANMISSION does it and Bullock city does it also. Question is can it be done? Some people say yes some say no and I for one can't wait to find out.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Extremist

Quote:
My manual says the diff fluid needs to be changed every 48 months or 64000km. It also calls to replace the auto transmission fluid every 96000km and I was told that very same thing by my dealer. Perhaps in Canada Lexus does things differently then USA. I have no choice but to listen to Lexus and my manual. Also I am a big fan of Ams oil. Have been using their engine oil for years on both my cars ( 2001 Honda Prelude and 2006 Lexus IS350 ) and I'm very happy. Will be the first time using ams oil for the diff.

The couple folks I've seen actually have it done in Canada paid a bunch of money to get 10% of their tranmission fluid changed (based on the amount of "new" fluid their invoice listed).

Which is about all you can physically change at a time on the car.

That's a sucker move in my book, but I'm sure the dealers in Canada are pretty happy they got that put into the manual versus the US one that correctly states it's a sealed system never intended to be changed.

This is from the US owners manual:

Quote:
The transfer case/transmission
and transmission fluid are a completely
sealed unit. Therefore, periodic
checks and replacement of the transmission
fluid are not required, and
there is no dipstick on the transmission.
Again- a fluid exchange machine can't be used, because there's no external hoses to connect it to on the transmission.

The only thing the dealer in canada is doing is opening the drain plug and letting the little bit in the bottom of the pan drain out, which gets out only a tiny fraction of the total fluid.

There's like a 10 page thread on this topic over on CL, with diagrams directly from TIS. You can't change any significant amount of the fluid in normal service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page