Local Lexus dealer called to make offer on our car - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Local Lexus dealer called to make offer on our car

Interesting - said they're having trouble finding good used cars and want to make us an offer on our '06 IS350 with 47K miles. Could be some ploy to move a new car off the lot, but I'll give them a listen. We bought it used a couple of years ago with about 21K on it and got a great deal from a private lot. I'm curious to see what they'll offer - I'd replace it with another one since we're sold on the brand and the IS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyIS350 View Post
Interesting - said they're having trouble finding good used cars and want to make us an offer on our '06 IS350 with 47K miles. Could be some ploy to move a new car off the lot, but I'll give them a listen. We bought it used a couple of years ago with about 21K on it and got a great deal from a private lot. I'm curious to see what they'll offer - I'd replace it with another one since we're sold on the brand and the IS.
dude they're just trying to make a quick buck off of ya.

how much did they offer?

I be they'll only offer about 15-18k then flip right around and sell it for 22+.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

We haven't talked to them yet - I'm curious to see what they would offer. We have no current intentions to sell it since it's nearly paid off, but we'll see what they come up with -like I said, it's probably just an attempt to get us to upgrade to a newer model.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Interesting - said they're having trouble finding good used cars and want to make us an offer on our '06 IS350 with 47K miles. Could be some ploy to move a new car off the lot
That's exactly what it is.

A common one too.

Most dealers send letters with the "HELLO MR. (insert name of registered car owner here)... Our dealership is in serious need of good quality used vehicles like your (insert year make and model of registered owners late model car here that matches the brand of car our dealership sells). Please call or come in to see us so we can make you a generous offer on yours!"

It's a ploy to get you in the door, and an entirely generic one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Yep, you were right. Got there at 9:15 AM, they gave us an IS350-C to drive around for a bit, held my keys hostage, then came back and lowballed me for $18,500. I politely stood up, shook his hand, and told him it was pretty insulting and we'd just continue driving our vehicle. That's an hour of my life I'd like to have back.

Edit: their offer at least wasn't predicated on me buying something from their inventory, but they were several thousand light on their offer. I won't be back, and I'll probably buy used again next time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My buddy who used to sell cars would do that. On slow days he would go thru the file cabinets of cars they sold 3-5 years prior and call them up and go: "Hey do you still have that 2000 Camry? I have some customers that want your exact car and I need it! Just come by and pick out any car on the lot and we'll take care of you!"
It worked more often than you think. lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Fiend

Garage
Quote:
they tried to do that to us.. my moms toyota yaris haha... pretty cheap of a car.. an econobox and they want it... i said no....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Yeesh that is pretty lowball! I had a dealer offer 22 trade on my 2007 350 with 45k a few months back when I was looking at an IS-F.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 PM

dealers do that all the time and over the phone they claim they'll give you a great deal. I took that bite when I still had my IS350, they offered me 5k under kbb trade in value... my car was pristine with under 10k miles per year...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Lurker

Yup, they do that all the time. I have received many emails of this trick, but never got a call though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page