Learning to Live with VDIM/VSC or without (ALL VDIM related topics merged) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Learning to Live with VDIM/VSC or without (ALL VDIM related topics merged)

Kinda like "Learning to live with MS" or "Learning to live with Genital Herpes"!

Anyway...

I'm finding that VDIM is helping me learn the limits of the car with getting the pants scared off me. When VDIM kicks in, I know that the car tries to under/oversteer.

What I'm finding is that I can anticipate better now, and I instinctively modulate power and steering input at the right time. And then find that VDIM doesn't have to kick in as much, and I'm getting more speed out of the turns.

How are you guys coping with it?

Last edited by IS-F-I-Found; 08-25-2006 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Too many threads on VDIM, let's try to keep discussion here:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Geezer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess I'm not driving on the edge. I haven't heard it ding yet.
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Heard it ding a couple of times before, in extreme situations, it only beeps to tell you "you would be dead by now without me"!

I had another success playing with the limits tonight.
Picture a 90 degrees left turn after a stop sign, with a very steep short hill, followed by another left turn as the road flattens out.
I gunned it out of the stop, then throttled back 50% and let it upshift to second as I took the turn, then applied some power as I transitioned from turn to climb. I eased up on the wheel as I applied power.
The car climbed like a rocket, skidding left-and-right the whole time, with limited wheel spin. Traction control light flashed the whole time, but no chime and no power cutoff.
That means I was able to climb that hill at the tires' limit (since I had a little wheelspin) but without VDIM acting up (since I had some tail slide).

I think there's just enough forgiveness built into that version of VDIM that you can explore the limits, but you have to anticipate and be proactive with the steering wheel when you throttle up/down. Fun stuff.

Now I've got to work on my late braking technique (I suck at it.)

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Frequenter

mann... sometimes i love it, sometimes i hate it.
but it is like a things that "you need" more than "you want"..
Lastnight, I was driving around the town as usual, found a HUGE parking lot about a mile off from main road. (industrial park type of thingy).. I turn off my VDIM,
man.. this thing can DRIFT. I am not talking about donuts.. it is a serius drifting. (i am a amature drifter from Falken, showoff evants). It is not as bad as my S13. I mean it. the weight distribution is perfect for it, the power of torque+ etc..
This is second time drifting a sedan (i have "drifted" modded g35 sedan). I still have lots to work on in suspension wise for drifting, yet the steering is perfect.
I am planning to turn this sucka into a show / drift car without a force induction.
But, not going off topic, VDIM is a must for daily driving in many types of condition of traffic.

2006 IS350 Crystal White / Sports / Navi
K&N Proto-Typhoon Intake / GroundFusion Grounding Kit ;;; Element114 19inch rims;;; Element114 Bodykit
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Deity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Great topic! +rep when I can!

I've not yet driven with it disabled, but HAVE heard the chimes a few times, sometimes while I'm counter steering into the fishtail, other times just before I do so. I agree the VDIM can make a better driver out of you, especially in the inclement weather. Ideally though it'd be like BMW in that turning it off, reduces sensitivity, but holding it off for 5 seconds FULLY disables it. Would be fun to have some give there. That said, this car's potential is still impressive. I've had it for 2.5 months now and often can't stop smiling after whipping the tail out a bit!

BTW, the old fashioned trac-off button works well for slow speed burnouts! Had some fun with it tonight in the rain, managed to pull out a 180 from the stop sign up to about 20mph! Woot Woot!

Last edited by IS-F-I-Found; 03-09-2006 at 11:49 PM.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Frequenter

post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Cone Killer

LMAO...at first I thought he was doing it on purpose, but at the end were he lost it completely, I figured he was not.

Yeah, this car, especially with VDIM off, you need to be very, very gentle with the inputs, steering, accelerator or brake, it will get upset rather quickly.
I do not think the designers had it in mide to have the car run without VDIM.

I will find out next weekend how good it behaves wihtout it at the next auto-x.

2006 IS350 Blue Onyx|Black Interior|Navigation|18" wheels|6000K HID|Joe Z Intake|HKS Drop In Filter|Tanabe Cat Back|OEM Rear Spoiler|PIAA Superrozzas
Previous - 2002 IS300 Solar Yellow
'04 & '05 SEFL SCCA Solo II -D Stock Champion

Want to know what I think about the New IS 350/250....read about it.
https://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265815
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

There is another video on that site: IS350 with a Blitz exhaust. I almost fainted when I saw the 0-60 time, then I realized the speedometer is in Km/h!
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Frequenter

lol....that site is soooo annoying, reminds me of the days before broadband. maybe ill check it out at 4am when nobody is on it

06 IS350 White w/Black Interior Luxury + Nav
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Frequenter

I'm not sure if he completely lost it. It looks like he wants to go back around. nice find.
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Frequenter

The driver is Keiichi Tsuchiya. Father of Drifting. Professional racer, One of the best drivers out there.
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Frequenter

He didn't lose it, he just did a spinout for show.

ISabelle (car name) - Black 2006 IS350 Sports Package + Navi (HACKED) + Mark Levinson Sound
Red Out on Tail light, 3M Clear Bra on full front done by Aerotect, 35% Tint All Around
Joe Z Intake, Tanabe NF210 Springs
Volk LE37T Glossy Black Limited Edition
19x8.5 +35 offset Front, 19x9.5 +43 offset Back
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krookid
The driver is Keiichi Tsuchiya. Father of Drifting. Professional racer, One of the best drivers out there.
If you consider Drifting a true race discipline rather than a technique imnployed in driver development, then I would have expected much more controlled smoothnes throughout the run with or without the show ending tail whipping that was displayed. Couple that with the fact that my Japanese is a bit rusty--- there were a couple of instances where it sound a whole lot like "Oh Sietzah, I thought it was a gonner!!!"

But hey... if I want a lesson in car control, I won't be stuck "watching drift racing"!!

Don't Blink !!!

IS350 T-Pearl, Blk/Blk Wood Trim Dark, 18's and all Driver
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Follower

Well, If you can drift you can pretty much bet the driver is an excellent driver. It takes a great amount of skill to control a high horsepower car while taking a sharp 90 turn at 80+mph. If want to learn car control, drifting is the way to do it. For example; let's say all you know how to do is driving your car under a controlled environment ie. a dry street or track. Heck, you always know when you gotta brake and turn, but what do you do if you suddenly loose traction? Most just spin out of control. Well, if you know how to drift, you could easily get yourself out of a hairy situation before it actually happens.
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1_Freak
If you consider Drifting a true race discipline rather than a technique imnployed in driver development, then I would have expected much more controlled smoothnes throughout the run with or without the show ending tail whipping that was displayed. Couple that with the fact that my Japanese is a bit rusty--- there were a couple of instances where it sound a whole lot like "Oh Sietzah, I thought it was a gonner!!!"

But hey... if I want a lesson in car control, I won't be stuck "watching drift racing"!!
Well, it obvious you have no clue as to who Mr. Tsuchiya is. As krookid said, he pretty much is the "father" of drifting. Actually he's knows as the "Drift King".

Any ways, Let me translate what was said in the video.

Announcer.. "Wow,.... look at those moves"

Driver.. " oh.....oh..Good..Good..Good..Good!

Announcer.. "Wow, This moves like a high power drift machine." "no wonder!.... this has 318 horsepower so please don't try this at home"

I lived in Japan three years and married a Japanese woman. She pretty much translated this word for word. And YES, I reconfirmed the 318 horsepower part. I know that our car is rated at 306, but my wife is positive the announcer said 318 horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page