LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XSC View Post
Oh I didn't know you were comparing the IS350 sport that was my mistake so yeah that makes complete sense.

I think the G's biggest let down let down the IS is interior quality and sound system. The amount of rattles inside a G after a few years is simply astonishing and the sound system even if you get the Bose is not what you would expect for the price range.

I dont even think I would count the trunk space. While the trunk is bigger in the G. It has a 6 CD changer that hangs down from the top of the trunk which makes putting anything in the trunk a hassle and even stops a few things from fitting through.

My biggest gripe with the IS is that the steering was a little bit to light for me but as I was reading through some other posts someone mentioned that in the sport model IS the steering is a little more sporty so I may need to go check that out.
I play hockey every Friday night and I can fit my (HUGE) hockey bag in the trunk, so that is enough space for me.

As for the steering, I wrote this before... I owned a 2007 and a 2008 IS. They tightened the steering a bit on the 2008, but frankly I never found it to be a problem. It is one of those things that is a personal preference issue.

Like everything else, you'll have to weight the pros and cons. For me, it was an easy decision. The 3 series was harder because it really drives so nice (in terms of the sporty feel), but at my age it was too bumpy, too utilitarian and much less refined.

2008 IS350 Starfire Pearl
JoeZ Intake & K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razal View Post
I play hockey every Friday night and I can fit my (HUGE) hockey bag in the trunk, so that is enough space for me.

As for the steering, I wrote this before... I owned a 2007 and a 2008 IS. They tightened the steering a bit on the 2008, but frankly I never found it to be a problem. It is one of those things that is a personal preference issue.

Like everything else, you'll have to weight the pros and cons. For me, it was an easy decision. The 3 series was harder because it really drives so nice (in terms of the sporty feel), but at my age it was too bumpy, too utilitarian and much less refined.
Haha well good to know I will be able to fight my hockey bag in the trunk . Yeah I am gonna try it out and see. Its by no means a deal breaker but its one of those things I just need to decide on. Haha well I'm 19 and coming from a 95 SC300 so at this point anything is an upgrade. I looked at a 3 series but the reliability and cost to fix anything is kind of infuriating.
post #63 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Haha well good to know I will be able to fight my hockey bag in the trunk . Yeah I am gonna try it out and see. Its by no means a deal breaker but its one of those things I just need to decide on. Haha well I'm 19 and coming from a 95 SC300 so at this point anything is an upgrade. I looked at a 3 series but the reliability and cost to fix anything is kind of infuriating.
I wish I had your problems at 19 (deciding between and IS, G and a 3 series).

My problem at 19 was checking the bus schedule to make sure I'd make it to school on time (ie: didn't own my first car until 21).

post #64 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Follower

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Now I'm gonna need to stop you right there. I'm not trying to be mean or anything but this comparison is completely off. The weights you just provided are for a 2009 G37s and a base model 2009 IS350. That doesn't make sense, especially because sport model G's are all manual unless you get an xS (All wheel drive sport model). If you were to compare two base models the 2009 G37 would weigh 3581 pounds and the 2009 IS350 would weigh 3527 pounds. That is only a 54 pound difference. Hell the drivers weight/how much gas you have/whats in the trunk could even that weight out.

(Weights provided by internetautoguide.com)
You will have to accept the fact that the IS350 by average weighs less than the G37. Package for package, option for option the G37 weighs more.

The weight isn't the only advantage on the IS350 though. It's the gearing. G35 and G37 are not designed for 0-60 and quarter mile, IS350 is. The '09+ model G's have narrowed the gap due to the close-ratio 7-speed auto transmission, but the IS350 still has the slight edge.

Quote:
The handling on the two cars is all up to preference. The G sedans have a heavier more BMW like steering feel. Its more "sporty". The IS has a softer steering feel to and as a result there is less road feedback.
You need to test drive the '08 and + models IS350 to claim the steering and feedback. The Steering is hyper-sensitive (in good way), it is by no mean "soft". Lexus has tuned up the steering. And with Sport equipped pkg the suspension is tighter and much more like sportscar-like. The Willow Springs International Raceway shows proof, even the '07 model Sport pkg IS350 beating the G35 (which is lighter than the G37 but a tad less handling) by merely .2 seconds in a relatively small track. That's substantial. Just imagine you throw in an '08+ model in there the gap would have been bigger.

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles
post #65 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
You will have to accept the fact that the IS350 by average weighs less than the G37. Package for package, option for option the G37 weighs more.

The weight isn't the only advantage on the IS350 though. It's the gearing. G35 and G37 are not designed for 0-60 and quarter mile, IS350 is. The '09+ model G's have narrowed the gap due to the close-ratio 7-speed auto transmission, but the IS350 still has the slight edge.

You need to test drive the '08 and + models IS350 to claim the steering and feedback. The Steering is hyper-sensitive (in good way), it is by no mean "soft". Lexus has tuned up the steering. And with Sport equipped pkg the suspension is tighter and much more like sportscar-like. The Willow Springs International Raceway shows proof, even the '07 model Sport pkg IS350 beating the G35 (which is lighter than the G37 but a tad less handling) by merely .2 seconds in a relatively small track. That's substantial. Just imagine you throw in an '08+ model in there the gap would have been bigger.

The two to me in speed at least are really close. The IS is no doubt faster but they are still both pretty close.

Yeah I definitely think I am gonna have to go to Lexus and get a test drive. I really wanna see what an IS with heavier steering would be like because I get the feeling like it would change the entire attitude of the car. Haha I wont even go near that one because I get the feeling like thats one of those things that is near as makes no difference.
post #66 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 AM

I'm gonna bring this one back because some of you IS owners think you own a far superior car or something. I'm gonna go on the line here and say that both cars are SO equivalent that the minor differences between them are purely based on driver preference. The car curb weights are off by 100-200 lbs but the G is a bit bigger. And the prices are basically the same with similar equipment. The styling? Both can be polarizing and at least both are unique and non-derivative. One is definitely more of a luxury car while the other is a full on sports sedan and I think that is where the biggest decision factor should come into play.

I'll also say that professional publications peg the G35/G37 as the ONLY Japanese luxury sport sedan that is a close BMW competitor. In fact, it's the only competitor period. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing (I think it is since I like BMWs), but it's obvious what Infiniti is aiming at and they are clearly succeeding. Some solid evidence may be the G's constant involvement in C&D's 10Best list since 2003. Last I checked not one Lexus made the list. In fact, I rarely see any Lexus win any performance type comparo in any major automotive publication. Sure the IS350 might be (or might not be) a tenth of second or so faster to 60 and about the same in the quarter mile. However, a Taurus SHO is faster than both cars and I doubt anyone here would take an SHO over either an IS or a G37. Regardless, it's all about how the car drives and no one gives praise to the IS350 for its driving dynamics and feel. I'm not saying they suck, but that's just not what the car was built for.

Still that's not to say that the Lexus isn't a good car. It's a great valued luxury car, yes. But do you guys really appreciate all the big plastic Toyota-esque buttons and dials on your instrument panel? One thing that Nissan does to enhance their luxury brand is to really redesign their instrument panels and dash materials to be higher quality from their lower priced brethren. Some of you clearly have not been in a newer G37 sedan. The first gen before 2005 had some quality issues, and the coupes have always made sacrifices to cut out two doors, a B-pillar, and added weight and thus decreased performance. Otherwise, the newer sedans (2005-2006, 2007-current) are huge improvements and they take interior quality to a level that easily matches any car in its class (this applies more to the 2007-current models).

Of course Infiniti has its weak points. Evidently some of you hate the styling. The paint may not be up to par with its peers. The coupe adds some weight and loses some of the refinement of the sedan, but at least there is a coupe.

Regardless, I just felt I had to speak up. I just can't believe that generally performance-wise, publications regard the G37 so highly above Lexus and Acura yet you go to a Lexus IS forum and suddenly it's on a completely different level. That's not to say that publications don't prefer a more sporty car which the Infiniti is of course. So if you like your cushy IS, more power to you!

2003 Infiniti G35 - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver
2004 Infiniti G35 - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver
2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver
2009 Infiniti G37 - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver

To be fair, I found one comparison in 2006 where the IS350 did beat out the G35. It was still clear that the G35 is a sportier car, yet the Lexus won, due in no small part to the age of the older gen G35 compared to a brand spankin new IS350.

2005 Infiniti G35 - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

A Convertible comparo:

2009 Infiniti G373 - Car and Driver

A price point comparo:

2009 Infiniti G37 vs. BMW 328i, Audi A4, and Acura TL - Comparison Tests

Another IS350 win:
page 4 - 2007 Lexus IS 350 - Comparison Test - RoadandTrack.com

Regardless, you want to berate me for my opinions? You can't really do that since they're my opinions. But it's clear that the general automotive public regards these cars as class competitors along with all the other "near luxury" or "entry level luxury" or whatever these cars are. Do not have some type of illusion that your extra $500-$1000 bought you a superior car. You just have that much more brand recognition and brand cachet in this country.
post #67 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Deity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Roots, good stuff! In the end, no opinion is much more than just that. Thanks for sharing yours! As for mine? A pre-owned IS-F costs roughly the same as a new G37, and offers MUCH more fun!
post #68 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Aficionado

Roots4x,

I actually think that your post is a good one. You ensure that your digs remain back handed at all times and hedge your arguments with things like "just my opinion" and "don't get me wrong, the Lexus is fine, if you like crap".

It's too early for me to respond properly + I think I sense a response by Knightshade coming. lol

post #69 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS-F-I-Found View Post
Roots, good stuff! In the end, no opinion is much more than just that. Thanks for sharing yours! As for mine? A pre-owned IS-F costs roughly the same as a new G37, and offers MUCH more fun!
Well I'll agree with you on that. Without having driven one, I'd say the IS-F is a true M3 competitor.

Quote:
Roots4x,

I actually think that your post is a good one. You ensure that your digs remain back handed at all times and hedge your arguments with things like "just my opinion" and "don't get me wrong, the Lexus is fine, if you like crap".

It's too early for me to respond properly + I think I sense a response by Knightshade coming. lol
Ha ha, it was late and the impudence level was quite high, I'll admit. I just think that both cars are very comparable to most people and choosing one or the other ultimately comes down to personal preference. I'll admit the Infiniti has its rough edges. I just find it hard to believe that other people think that one can be so much better than the other. I give the same type of response to people on Infiniti forums when they rip on Lexus, rest assured.

Last edited by roots4x; 03-28-2011 at 11:24 AM.
post #70 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots4x View Post
I'm gonna bring this one back because some of you IS owners think you own a far superior car or something. I'm gonna go on the line here and say that both cars are SO equivalent that the minor differences between them are purely based on driver preference. The car curb weights are off by 100-200 lbs but the G is a bit bigger. And the prices are basically the same with similar equipment. The styling? Both can be polarizing and at least both are unique and non-derivative. One is definitely more of a luxury car while the other is a full on sports sedan and I think that is where the biggest decision factor should come into play.

I'll also say that professional publications peg the G35/G37 as the ONLY Japanese luxury sport sedan that is a close BMW competitor. In fact, it's the only competitor period. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing (I think it is since I like BMWs), but it's obvious what Infiniti is aiming at and they are clearly succeeding. Some solid evidence may be the G's constant involvement in C&D's 10Best list since 2003. Last I checked not one Lexus made the list. In fact, I rarely see any Lexus win any performance type comparo in any major automotive publication. Sure the IS350 might be (or might not be) a tenth of second or so faster to 60 and about the same in the quarter mile. However, a Taurus SHO is faster than both cars and I doubt anyone here would take an SHO over either an IS or a G37. Regardless, it's all about how the car drives and no one gives praise to the IS350 for its driving dynamics and feel. I'm not saying they suck, but that's just not what the car was built for.

Still that's not to say that the Lexus isn't a good car. It's a great valued luxury car, yes. But do you guys really appreciate all the big plastic Toyota-esque buttons and dials on your instrument panel? One thing that Nissan does to enhance their luxury brand is to really redesign their instrument panels and dash materials to be higher quality from their lower priced brethren. Some of you clearly have not been in a newer G37 sedan. The first gen before 2005 had some quality issues, and the coupes have always made sacrifices to cut out two doors, a B-pillar, and added weight and thus decreased performance. Otherwise, the newer sedans (2005-2006, 2007-current) are huge improvements and they take interior quality to a level that easily matches any car in its class (this applies more to the 2007-current models).

Of course Infiniti has its weak points. Evidently some of you hate the styling. The paint may not be up to par with its peers. The coupe adds some weight and loses some of the refinement of the sedan, but at least there is a coupe.

Regardless, I just felt I had to speak up. I just can't believe that generally performance-wise, publications regard the G37 so highly above Lexus and Acura yet you go to a Lexus IS forum and suddenly it's on a completely different level. That's not to say that publications don't prefer a more sporty car which the Infiniti is of course. So if you like your cushy IS, more power to you!

2003 Infiniti G35 - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver
2004 Infiniti G35 - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver
2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver
2009 Infiniti G37 - 10Best Cars - Car and Driver

To be fair, I found one comparison in 2006 where the IS350 did beat out the G35. It was still clear that the G35 is a sportier car, yet the Lexus won, due in no small part to the age of the older gen G35 compared to a brand spankin new IS350.

2005 Infiniti G35 - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

A Convertible comparo:

2009 Infiniti G373 - Car and Driver

A price point comparo:

2009 Infiniti G37 vs. BMW 328i, Audi A4, and Acura TL - Comparison Tests

Another IS350 win:
page 4 - 2007 Lexus IS 350 - Comparison Test - RoadandTrack.com

Regardless, you want to berate me for my opinions? You can't really do that since they're my opinions. But it's clear that the general automotive public regards these cars as class competitors along with all the other "near luxury" or "entry level luxury" or whatever these cars are. Do not have some type of illusion that your extra $500-$1000 bought you a superior car. You just have that much more brand recognition and brand cachet in this country.
Your words and opinions to facts ratio are way high. The one actual fact that you quoted (re: weight), you dismissed quite arbitrarily. Nicely done.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #71 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Ha ha, it was late and the impudence level was quite high, I'll admit. I just think that both cars are very comparable to most people and choosing one or the other ultimately comes down to personal preference. I'll admit the Infiniti has its rough edges. I just find it hard to believe that other people think that one can be so much better than the other. I give the same type of response to people on Infiniti forums when they rip on Lexus, rest assured.
Roots,

In my real life I'm a lawyer (no, I didn't just sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night). So, in the normal course, I would love to engage in some type of argument about how the G is an inferior car that only a hack would drive. Heck, if I cared enough, I'd probably do a bit of research and provide some links or just spew some things off the top of my head.

I'm sure I could find countless vids on youtube of Nissan G owners getting owned by IS350's, 3 Series Bimmers and Kia Spectra's, but I really don't care enough.

For example, if I wanted to diss you or your car I would tell a story like this... In my practice I have two (personal) assistants (law clerks if you will). One of them is a 23 year old chick, the other is a 26 year old guy. The guy drives a used G35, I drive an IS350 (which I bought new). He is my bitch for 8.5 hours everyday, if we leave together, his car is my car's bitch. Any way you slice it, I own him. Get it?

Now, if I wanted to diss you and your overweight, irrelevant G-Sentra, I would tell you that story, but since I'm not up to it, I won't.

What I will tell you is this... admitedly, my knowledge of my car (and yours) is virtually zero, so everything I pretty much write is written as a joke. On the other hand, my guess is that there will be a response to your post in about 6 days from someon who actually knows both cars quite well. They are inaccessible right now, but the response will be worth it.

I will appear only occasionally to provide comic relief.

However, in the interim, I do have a few questions for you about your Nissan G-37 Sentrified X.

1. When you fill it at the gas station, do they accept food stamps for payment? Or do you just walk into the gas station and say "Gibs me dat gas"?

2. Do you think the new tail lights on the IS350 improve the look over the 2008 model, which I own? Are they easier to see during a race?

3. How about the dual exhaust on the IS350. Do you like the way it looks during a race?

4. Lastly, I was thinking about changing my tires, since you normally only get a good look at the rear tires, do you think I should go wider than 255-40-18 or stay the same? I hear the excess weight can kill your speed, do you know anything about that?

5. Also, can you provide me a link to the Nissan forum where I can pose these questions if you don't know the answer?

6. (I know your response will contain something about your 7 figure job or your wealthy mommy or some other nonsense, but let me preempt you by saying I'm not buying it no matter what).

post #72 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

Razal,

In real life I'm actually an engineer for Toyota in Osaka Japan. I'm assuming you want to know what I do so I'll tell you! We really wanted to get a leg up on this luxury segment so we used our Scion TC platform to build a true luxury sports sedan. We added a lot of leather and put on a lot of LEDs and really put as many plastic panels as we could in the engine bay.

I know a buddy of mine that works at Nissan was talking about performance and suspension and something called handling. I think he's crazy though because he was talking about how they even offer manual transmissions with their V6. Why would you want the manual with your PERFORMANCE engine? Weird, I'm telling you.

that might not be funny actually. Anyway, tongue in cheek all the way. I still stand by my contention that both cars are equivalent. Oh, and I challenge you to a race Razal. Oak St by the green dumpster tonight @ 11pm sharp! I have to be home by midnight or the folks'll take away my driving privileges. Actually, my wife isn't happy about my last speeding ticket so let's hold off on this one until I get my turbocharger and ground effect lighting.

BTW, the G37 has as much of a dual exhaust as the IS350 so not sure what you're talking about. Also, the weight difference is about 150lbs between the sedans. Since that's about the same difference between me and you, if we raced, we'd be about even, right?

And if I had a 7 figure salary, I wouldn't be buying an Infiniti or a Lexus, I'll tell you that.

Quote:
Roots,

In my real life I'm a lawyer (no, I didn't just sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night).

edited for sanity's sake

Last edited by roots4x; 03-31-2011 at 12:19 PM.
post #73 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
We added a lot of leather and put on a lot of LEDs and really put as many plastic panels as we could in the engine bay.
That was actually funny.

Quote:
I know a buddy of mine that works at Nissan was talking about performance and suspension and something called handling.
I test drove the G35 when I bought mine (no slower G37 available at the time). I found it bumpy, uninspired and with very poor sight lines. Not to mention a very cheap looking interior.

Quote:
I think he's crazy though because he was talking about how they even offer manual transmissions with their V6. Why would you want the manual with your PERFORMANCE engine?
This is actually a valid point that I don't quite understand. It should have at least been offered. I'm sure there was some market research done and they didn't offer a manual, but it was one of the few errors with this car.

Quote:
I still stand by my contention that both cars are equivalent.
And I'd love to argue the point, but I don't know enough (or care enough) to argue it. I "think", the IS is faster, I also "think" it has a much smoother ride. If I wanted "handling", I would have bought the 335xi, not the G. Like I said, someone with a lot more knowledge will argue the point.

Quote:
Oh, and I challenge you to a race Razal. Oak St by the green dumpster tonight @ 11pm sharp! I have to be home by midnight or the folks'll take away my driving privileges. Actually, my wife isn't happy about my last speeding ticket so let's hold off on this one until I get my turbocharger and ground effect lighting.
Well, after living in NYC for 12 years and now living in Toronto, but still driving like I live in NYC... not good. So far two tickets but no convictions. Kind of good at arguing my way out of things.

Quote:
BTW, the G37 has as much of a dual exhaust as the IS350 so not sure what you're talking about.
Wouldn't know, never seen the back of a G, but thought you should now the back dimensions of an IS350 by heart.

Quote:
Also, the weight difference is about 150lbs between the sedans. Since that's about the same difference between me and you, if we raced, we'd be about even, right?
That would either make you a 75lb weakling or a 375lb monster. I, on the other hand am a finely tuned machine, like my car.

Quote:
And if I had a 7 figure salary, I wouldn't be buying an Infiniti or a Lexus, I'll tell you that.
More billionaires drive Lexus than any other brand of vehicle, so I have no efn clue what you are talking about.*

*I just made this up and have NO clue if it is true, but it was fun to write.

post #74 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 PM

Razal, are you talking about the 2003-2006 sedan or the 2007-2011 sedan? Appearances are subjective, so I'm not going there (I'm tempted to put something in quotes here but I'd be contradicting myself). I think the interior of the IS350 looks a little cheap. The finely finished aluminum and soft touch plastics on the G look very well done and sharp. I guess we'll agree to disagree here.

If your definition of "slower" is in a straight line then the IS350 might (and I mean "might" in such a way that on any given day, either a G or an IS350 would take the win) have the slightest edge. The IS350 might be a little faster in a straight line, but then so is a V6 Mustang. So is a V6 Mustang a better car? The type of people that keep ranting of 0-60 times are the ones that CLEARLY know very little about cars, as you readily admit here so I guess I have nothing to say.

And you'd rather have purchased a 335i if you wanted handling, not a G? Fine! But the G is still a better handler and I prefer to save a little money for a better handling car. You're dismissing a MAJOR point of the car and the reason it is likely included on C&D's 10best list so often.

Anyway, sorry to get so serious but your attempt at trying to be aloof isn't really working anymore.

P.S. First video I found on youtube:

BTW, the power to weight ratio is still better on the G. The G is more of a high revver so that might explain the better 0-60 on the IS350 (if that's even true) but any kind of rolling start will tip in favor of the G. You can clearly see this G destroying that IS350 on the highway.

Quote:
That was actually funny.

I test drove the G35 when I bought mine (no slower G37 available at the time). I found it bumpy, uninspired and with very poor sight lines. Not to mention a very cheap looking interior.

This is actually a valid point that I don't quite understand. It should have at least been offered. I'm sure there was some market research done and they didn't offer a manual, but it was one of the few errors with this car.

And I'd love to argue the point, but I don't know enough (or care enough) to argue it. I "think", the IS is faster, I also "think" it has a much smoother ride. If I wanted "handling", I would have bought the 335xi, not the G. Like I said, someone with a lot more knowledge will argue the point.

Well, after living in NYC for 12 years and now living in Toronto, but still driving like I live in NYC... not good. So far two tickets but no convictions. Kind of good at arguing my way out of things.

Wouldn't know, never seen the back of a G, but thought you should now the back dimensions of an IS350 by heart.

That would either make you a 75lb weakling or a 375lb monster. I, on the other hand am a finely tuned machine, like my car.

More billionaires drive Lexus than any other brand of vehicle, so I have no efn clue what you are talking about.*
*I just made this up and have NO clue if it is true, but it was fun to write.

Last edited by roots4x; 03-31-2011 at 11:16 PM.
post #75 of 118 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry if this is short I'm a bit jetlagged....

Quote:
Razal, are you talking about the 2003-2006 sedan or the 2007-2011 sedan? Appearances are subjective, so I'm not going there (I'm tempted to put something in quotes here but I'd be contradicting myself). I think the interior of the IS350 looks a little cheap. The finely finished aluminum and soft touch plastics on the G look very well done and sharp. I guess we'll agree to disagree here.
I had the opposite impression when I cross shopped an 07 G35s and an 07 IS350... the G was "almost" as nice as the Lexus on the inside, but not quite there. The one place the G was ahead was in the cost technology of the nav system (and Lexus still kinda sucks here). But I agree this stuff is largely subjective.

Quote:
If your definition of "slower" is in a straight line then the IS350 might (and I mean "might" in such a way that on any given day, either a G or an IS350 would take the win) have the slightest edge.
The IS350 is faster in a straight line. Period. There's really no debating the point. It's not light years faster, but it's faster. The G35->G37 evolution kinda sucked because they added power while making the car heavier so it didn't get the performance bump it should have... This is the opposite of what Nissan did in the 350Z->370Z changeover where they did it right and both bumped power and reduced weight.

The G37 motor is smoother than the previous engine though, which is good, because I found the 07 G35 to be pretty jumpy in that regard... but that's just Infiniti finally fixing a problem the Lexus never had.

Quote:
The IS350 might be a little faster in a straight line, but then so is a V6 Mustang. So is a V6 Mustang a better car? The type of people that keep ranting of 0-60 times are the ones that CLEARLY know very little about cars, as you readily admit here so I guess I have nothing to say.
Well, it's kinda embarrassing for the G at any rate...

FWIW Motortrend got a 5.1 0-60 out of that V6 mustang... those are the same folks who ran a 4.9 in the IS350... so again, the G is kinda slow here...

none of that speaks to other factors like reliability and resale of course, but I'm not sure why you'd want to bring up yet ANOTHER V6 that beats the G but not the Lexus as a point somehow favoring the G over the IS?

Quote:
And you'd rather have purchased a 335i if you wanted handling, not a G? Fine! But the G is still a better handler and I prefer to save a little money for a better handling car.

The IS250 with the F-sport parts out-slaloms the 335i, so maybe this is like your mustang point in that it doesn't really prove what you think it does?

Quote:
BTW, the power to weight ratio is still better on the G. The G is more of a high revver so that might explain the better 0-60 on the IS350 (if that's even true) but any kind of rolling start will tip in favor of the G. You can clearly see this G destroying that IS350 on the highway.

The IS has better gearing and a weight advantage... from 0-100 it wins, end of story.

Which is 99% of real life driving.

But by all means, if you want to feel better about your purchase for those 1% of times you have a rolling race from 90 against someone, feel free

All that said, the G is a nice car. I almost bought one. I originally looked at the 3-series, the IS, the G, and the TL-S... the final two choices were the IS and the G. Price-wise it was about a wash with the deal I was getting, so in the end it came down to the IS was just a little bit better car in nearly every respect... the ML sound system was a little better than the BOSE one in the G... the IS was a little bit faster... the IS got better mileage (significantly better honestly, though I don't care that much about this)... the IS had vented seats the G didn't at the time... the IS interior was slightly nicer... and the IS had both better resale and a more reliable brand name behind it.

It was still close, but the IS was ahead in virtually every regard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page