LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Geezer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar View Post
^^ I'm glad you brought it back to life. I didn't see the follow up posts from cdeslandes and Dr B. My 2008 IS 350 is now 16kish miles and looking at their posts, I think I really should change this air filter. I've owned it since January when I got it new, but am not sure how long it was sitting on the lot before I bought.

I need to figure out where to get an air filter from, also maybe I should look into the blitz air filter. I had read good things about it, and my.is member bartkat had also given me advice with using the Joe-Z intake.

Anyone else on the same boat?
Since then I got the FSport intake which takes the same filter and has a pipe almost like the JoeZ. I'm still using the Blitz filter though cause the one that came with the FSport didn't have the grooves in the rubber seal like the OEM and the Blitz. FSport gives a pleasing sound at WOT but not real loud. I like it whether it gives any advantages or not. I also got the cute little FSport emblem for the back of the car.

There are 3 WOT runs in this video with the FSport intake.

MOLON LABE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Fiend

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
The Blitz is a good air filter. Very slight improvement in gas mileage over the Toyota one. No noticeable difference in power.
Other than gas mileage, any other reasons why blitz is better? I think one advantage is that you can just wash and clean and reuse right? Which means that the premium over the regular air filter is justified

I'll be going with the blitz I'm pretty sure, but just curious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post
So I mail-ordered the filter....
... where did you mail order the air filter from?

And where can I order the blitz from?

Regarding the intake:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleong1 View Post
I ordered the Joe-Z intake today. However, I'm sticking with the $20 oem filter vs $60+ Blitz...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkat View Post
Quote:
...my.is member bartkat had also given me advice with using the Joe-Z intake..
Since then I got the FSport intake which takes the same filter and has a pipe almost like the JoeZ. I'm still using the Blitz filter though cause the one that came with the FSport didn't have the grooves in the rubber seal like the OEM and the Blitz. FSport gives a pleasing sound at WOT but not real loud. I like it whether it gives any advantages or not...
With the Joe-Z and the FSport, are there improvements in performance? is it better for the car? I'm not big on sound so if that's the only real known benefit, I probably won't go with the Joe-Z or the FSport intake.

2003-2004: 2001 Blue IS 300
2009-2012: 2008 IS 350 SGM w/ Sports Package and non-ML Nav (Bought new 1/2009)
Had Done: Navi Hack w/ Switch install, VAIS SL2Vi
Parents: 2006 SGM IS 350 (2012-present)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
With the Joe-Z and the FSport, are there improvements in performance? is it better for the car? I'm not big on sound so if that's the only real known benefit, I probably won't go with the Joe-Z or the FSport intake.

Roughly 5 rwhp from either (since apart from the noisemaking lower airbox they're the same design- with the Joe Z coming first)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Fiend

^^ got it, thanks Knightshade

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Frequenter

yeah the time between changing your air filter varies on your specific driving conditions. best thing is just to check your air filter often id say 5k is a good interval to check.you wont always have to change it at 5 k but it wouldn't hurt. working at a Jiffy Lube we change filters on all car brands and people change them all differently, some guys just change it every oil change just because they can so its all up to you.

06' Is350 Tungsten Pearl /Navi
TEIN CS Damper + EDFC_HKS Hi-Power_JDM Window Visors_
FUJiTASR Intake_TRD Push Start_POLARG 3,500k yellows (Fogs)_GFX Front Lip_15%Tint_Red Top Optima
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Fiend

Finally changed the air filter in my 2008 IS 350, almost a year and a half after I bought the car (it was bought new Jan 2009). I did it pretty late, the milage was at 25422 miles, 10k miles longer than it should have been. there wasn't much to it, but I still took a few pics along the way and made a blog post about it here: http://shahryar.net/2010/05/31/chang...y-2008-is-350/

Here's a pic of the dirty filter I pulled out:
http://shahryar.net/wp-content/uploa...5312010260.jpg

And here's pic of the new filter I put in:
http://shahryar.net/wp-content/uploa...5312010262.jpg

it's a blitz air filter, I believe I've read that It can last longer, but not sure of how much longer it can last with cleaining or how often to clean or best way to clean it (I saw this post from kayotik and he mentioned using simple green and warm water).

Threw the old filter in the recycle bin thinking it might have a chance at being recyclable.

if it helps anyone. I saw this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKSBaker View Post
I was having a hard time dealing with the air box. I can't find my tools. I wasn't able to finish it last week.
... but I didn't need any tools at all.

Last edited by Shahryar; 05-31-2010 at 09:21 PM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 04:17 PM

YouTube Videos

See the links below for some YouTube videos which show how the fasteners work. (eg. the engine cover rivets) The video was taken using the rivets from my wife's Lexus IS350, but I'm sure it's similar on different years and models (eg. the IS250)

The first video shows how to put the rivet back into the installable mode by popping out the button again. And the second video shows an example of installing the rivet once it's popped out and in the installable mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page