F-Sport IS350 ECU programming different? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

F-Sport IS350 ECU programming different?

This 2011 F-Sport IS350 doesn't shift to higher gears as early as my 2008 IS350 did. I clearly remember this.

With 2008 IS350, it shifts to 6th gear at around 40 mph or less.

When I take a corner it keeps me on higher gears so it loses a lot of power when I normally accelerate out of the corner. I would have to press the gas much harder to let the car shift down for more power, or use ECT mode, or use the paddle to set the top gear limiter.

With 2011 F-Sport IS350, it won't shift to 6th gear until I hit 50 mph. Even if I let off the gas (IIRC), it holds the gear in 5th.

When I take a corner it keeps me on lower gears so it won't lose much power when I need to accelerate back. As a result, it's more responsive even when I lightly tap on the gas. Every gears seem to hold longer. I get more control on the gas pedal. The 2008 model shifted way too soon in contrast. The 2011 F-Sport also puts me in 1st gear when I'm slowing down to 5~ 10 mph for the stop sign.

All this is with power setting set to Normal mode, no ECT for both vehicles.
And with both vehicles after completely warmed up.

It appears Lexus may have made changes to the ECU tuning for the either the 2011 or 2011 with F-Sport? I haven't tested this with non-F-Sport 2011 model so I don't know if it's the same way.

If so, I am really glad they did this, so I don't have to use top gear limiter as much using paddle shifter or shifter knob. The car also seems to take off smoother.

Also, I don't hear *whine* sound when accelerating (normal accelerations) like I did with 2008 IS350.

I just wanted to post up my experience with this.. Any comments, info, welcome.

thanks

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles

Last edited by Cheez; 11-07-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also wanted to add that I never had complaints with 2008 model. It was wonderful car actually. Despite it shifts too early at lower speeds, I didn't take it as complaint. It's doing that to maximize fuel economy. If I needed more responsive power I just moved over to SS mode and set the top-limiting gear using my paddle shifter or shift knob.. But I like the fact that the '11 F-Sport IS350 keeps stay on lower gears longer. Because of this, the car gives more torque and more control on the gas. Cheez likes this.

Also, I didn't mind the *whine* sound from the engine in 2008 model it generated when normally accelerating. This was normal, but it is available on TSIB. This '11 IS350 is almost dead quiet. I kinda actually wanted the whine sound cause I kind of liked it, to me it was sorta like IS350 sound "signature".

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Interesting,...I checked my car over the last few days and it depends on grade or acceleration. Sometimes it will shift early at 40mph sometimes it will hold until 50mph. In saying that my car does have the latest ecu flash with brake over ride and it did change the snow mode gearing to 2nd gear as well so there was obviously some transmission ecu flash as well.

'06 Tungsten Pearl IS350,...with battle wounds and scars,...almost new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page