Completely stock IS350 Tires Rubbing - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Completely stock IS350 Tires Rubbing

2009 IS350 with stock everything... no mods. Went and got a simple Oil change and tires rotated. While rotating the tires, the mechanic noticed the inside of the front left tire was pretty much completely shredded. Shocked that I was able to drive on the tire it was so bad.

after rotating the tires and replacing the shredded one along with the other front tire and doing an alignment to check to see what the problem was... it turns out the control arm is rubbing against the tires when making fairly sharp turns. I have never heard this noise since I bought the car 9 months ago so not sure how long the tires has been shredded like this. After moving the back tires up to the front and the alignment, there is a noticable noise while turning.

Just found out about this problem under an hour ago and have to bring it in to Lexus tomorrow or as soon as possible. I searched as much as I could to try and find if this is a somewhat common issue or just isolated to my car but couldnt find any of these issues when everything was stock. Most were due to larger wheels or lowering the car.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this issue or possibly know what the problem may be before I bring my car in to the dealership and get screwed. I dont know much about cars so just wanted to get an opinion from anyone with experience with these cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and Thank you ahead of time for helping me out on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Uh... the IS350 has staggered wheels... you are not supposed to rotate them front to back because they're not the same size. So that's your problem with the rubbing and you'll wanna fix that ASAP.

The problem with the inner tire wear on the front tires is very common, and usually attributed to the aggressive alignment from the factory (which emphasizes handling over tire life). This is best corrected by finding a good alignment shop that can get your dynamic toe to 0.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hahah yeah clearly I'm oblivious to this. Just noticed this last night and feel like an idiot but at least my job isn't working with wheels and tires so they should feel even dumber about this.

I guess you live and learn. I'm gonna go bitch hard about this as soon as possible. And thanks for the explanation about the wear of the inner part of the tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page