Alternator DIY w/pics - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alternator DIY w/pics

Ok so here is the story. I am embarrassed to admit to my folly but what the hell. My wifes IS350 had a bad battery and in my haste as dusk was hitting and we were late for a dinner party i hooked the jumper cables up backwards on my tacoma. terrible idea. My Tacoma took it like a champ the IS did not.

As you guessed I blew my main fusible link in front of the battery. 113 dollars shipped from a dealer in georgia and I assumed I was good to go. I dont have pictures of the removal of that fuse but I do have some info to share if anyone else happens to do this same thing

Check all the fuses. ALL OF THEM. There are 4 fuse box's in the IS 350. one in each foot well, one in front of the battery and a hidden one under the plastics front driver side. Important to check them all.

I blew all the radios fuses (3 of them) and the TCS fuse which is in that front fuse box. that was the one that had me frustrated because after the car was back together I had ZERO throttle and also an alternator that wouldnt charge.

So ok then bad alternator right? causing all kinds of stuff? wrong. I got a brand new batter and had the alternator tested and it tested good. However running with my mulitmeter the battery read 12V flat. no bueno. So I pulled the plug and checked the leads with ignition on. no exciter power in the yellow wire which is supplied by the LH-IG fuse in the driver side foot well.

I checked that fuse over and over for continuity and visual inspection and it was good just in the wrong spot. I checked it in the dark with the seat stuck forward(my wife is 5' I am 6') and put it back in the wrong spot.

SOOOO...... Everything reinstalled properly and we have a charging alternator and a running car. Wooot... not so much.

Now I have the issue where my nav screen wont come on and my heater/climate control wont work at all.. its not the touch issue I already fixed that. Any Ideas?

I know this is my first post but I have some great pics of my alternator removal with GOOD pics especially of the hidden bracket. I will start a new thread for it and will make it sticky worthy.

Please help a brudda out. I have checked all fuses i fear the head unit is done...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page