Airbag dash light ?? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Airbag dash light ??

I have searched the forum for awhile and cant find too many topics about the airbag. My wifes 06 is going into the dealership for some recall work and the airbag light came on today. Its something I need to fix but would like to see if or what the problem may be before it goes into the shop.
The car has approx 50,000 miles and has started to give us a few problems in the past months. The VSC and traction control lights came on not that long ago and that ended up being the brake light switch. Just interested if anyone has the airbag module or something simple go bad. Any help is appreciated.
Carl

06 IS 350 Matador Red Mica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Little bit of history on what needs to be fixed.

VCS and Traction control lights come on intermittently. Dealership found that it was a bad brake light switch. Which sounded crazy but it did once happen that the dash lights came on and the brake lights were not working.

Airbag light came on and will not turn off. Dealership has not got back to me on this one. Interested in what the cause for this maybe.

Just thought this may help others when the search the forum. I found very little about the airbag light when I tried.

I will update this as soon as I get the car back.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Look Under the Seats

It won't hurt looking under the seats. NOt that a lexus and a corolla may have the same mechanism, but it did happen to my girl's car before.
The airbag light suddenly went on and could not find the issue. Took the dash/steering wheel appart and spend countless hours looking very maticulously for unplogged wires but found nothing. The last thing I did before giving up was to take the seats off and checked to make sure all the wiring was in good working condition and not broken. Well, once seats were replugged and turn on the ignition, the problem went away. There must had been a plug not well connected that had caused the light to ignite.

And yes, I also have the VSC, slippery road and engine light glowing in my dash. And yes, I also have an 06 with a little over 50k. Dealer wants me to bring it in for $125 will give me a diagnose. For a few hundered more will probably correct the problem.

Just sharing my experience.

good luck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I did look around the seats for any wiring that may have caused the airbag light to turn on but did not find anything worth noting. I should get the car back tomorrow.

As far as the VSC lights the dealership said it was a faulty brake light switch.

The local dealership troubleshot the issue for $55 recently. I thought that wasnt too bad.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Loyalist

Yep,...this morning the airbag light came on as it usually does every winter. Stopped for gas, and it went off on restart. Last time it stayed on until the brake pedal recall when they flashed the ecu,..thought it had fixed it permanently,.... No VSC issues to report,...knock wood In the Spring I'll take a look under the seats to see if something got pulled while vacuuming.

'06 Tungsten Pearl IS350,...with battle wounds and scars,...almost new.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with the service writer. Seems as there is a bad wiring harness to the instrument cluster for the air bag light. I didn't talk to her too much about it because the conversation was more about the item being back-ordered. I will get more info tomorrow.

I don't have the car here so I cant do it myself, but I am looking for someone to check the owners manual for warranty info. Seems this is part of the restraint system and may be covered under warranty. I found online that the new 2011 warrant for the restraint system is 72 months or 70000 miles which ever comes first. I am interested is seeing if this is the case for the 06. The service writer could not confirm this as part of our discussion tonight.

Thanks

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Update

UPDATE 12-27-10

Well I did finally talk to the service writer today. Car is done and I will pick it up tomorrow.
VSC lights and misc dash lights were a bad brake light switch.
Airbag light was a faulty wiring harness??

The wiring harness that was the fix was quoted at a cost of $1700!!
Good thing the 72 month/70,000 mile warranty is still in affect.

Carl

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Please please anyone with this issue take 10 minutes and file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I was contacted by an engineer from their Office of Defects Investigation today asking about this problem, so they are definitely looking into it.

If there are enough complaints, they may force Lexus to issue a resolution for this defect they know and acknowledged (even issued a TSB on it) but refuse to fix without charging owners thousands of dollars.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johuang View Post
Please please anyone with this issue take 10 minutes and file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

I was contacted by an engineer from their Office of Defects Investigation today asking about this problem, so they are definitely looking into it.

If there are enough complaints, they may force Lexus to issue a resolution for this defect they know and acknowledged (even issued a TSB on it) but refuse to fix without charging owners thousands of dollars.
Thanks for the heads up about filing with the NHTSA -- I just did that as well. Seems like there are a ton of people with this issue but under 20 filing a complaint. Looks like Lexus issued the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) in 2008 and never issued a recall because there weren't enough impacted customers. This is a known, safety related manufacturing defect. I hope others file a compliant as well to force Lexus to do something about this.

Also, I read one complaint that mentions that Lexus eventually paid for their entire repair -- if anyone has had a similar experience and can provide any tips on who they talked to and how they got this done, please let others know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page