2011 Winter tires - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2011 Winter tires

I just purchased a IS350 AWD and should be getting it this following weekend, i live about 1 hour south of toronto Canada. I was wondering if the all season tires that come with the car will be able to handle the snow ? It only gets about 3 months of snow here and i was thinking the AWD would help it enough where i wouldnt need snow tires ??

Also what kinda gas do you guys use ? 91 octane , would 89 octane be good enough ??

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_r View Post
I just purchased a IS350 AWD and should be getting it this following weekend, i live about 1 hour south of toronto Canada. I was wondering if the all season tires that come with the car will be able to handle the snow ? It only gets about 3 months of snow here and i was thinking the AWD would help it enough where i wouldnt need snow tires ??

Also what kinda gas do you guys use ? 91 octane , would 89 octane be good enough ??

Thanks guys

AWD is over-rated for how much it helps in snow.

All-seasons are vastly over-rated for, well, everything.

AWD can help getting started from a stop in snow.

It does exactly nothing to improve braking in the snow though...tires do.

RWD with snow tires is a lot better option than AWD with all-seasons for example.

If you'd like some info on how badly all-seasons suck as a compromise compared to dedicated summer and winter tires I refer you here:

Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer

Snow tires outperform all-seasons in virtually every snow test by roughly 20-25%.

Summer tires outperform all-season in every wet test by a significant amount (in fact all-seasons come in THIRD behind the snow tires here)

Summer tires outperform all-seasons in nearly every dry test too.

As to fuel, the car is designed and programmed for 91 octane.

Using anything lower is a bad plan, using anything higher is a waste of money.

Higher octane will offer no benefit for higher cost.

Using lower octane will offer reduced power and possibly reduced mileage (thus negating the 'savings') while also doing tiny damage to the engine. The damage part will no matter to you if you're the sort that gets rid of a car every 3 years since it'll never be enough to notice in that time, but the reduced power and mileage will matter all the time.

Last edited by Knightshade; 11-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Loyalist

Is the AWD 350 out ALREADY, or this a misprint? I must be losing touch if it is. Dude, if you live in TO get yourself "real" winter tires and don't be like the rest of the idiots on the road driving on all season tires banging and sliding into cars.

Take public transit if you work down town, drop the insurance, save gas and park it,....if you can.

Put whatever gas is on the "recommended fuel" label on the gas filler door or the owner's manual,...unless you're leasing

Hope to see you at the BIG meet on 06NOV at Kennedy Commons
https://my.is/forums/f122/nov-6-7pm-g...-plaza-419755/

'06 Tungsten Pearl IS350,...with battle wounds and scars,...almost new.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Aficionado

I live in Toronto (but my car is not AWD).

Not sure which are the OEM tires on the AWD models, but I will tell you about two of my stories.

Once, while living in NJ I backed my car out of the driveway in a snow storm to "test" the all season Bridgestone tires (on my 2007 IS350). My driveway had a slight uphill to it (when I say "slight" I REALLY mean slight). I couldn't get my car back up the driveway until I put down plywood and drove on it.

Story number two...

Moving my the USA back to Toronto, November 2008. Driving my 2008 IS350 with Bridgestone's on it with 5000 miles (read: basically brand new). Hit a snow storm between Syracuse and Watertown, NY. Could NOT drive more than 40mph safely and even that might have been pushing it.

Last year I bought Blizzaks from Tirerack and MSW Wheels. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I don't love the Blizzaks in the rain, but in the snow, they are such a huge improvement.

Knightshade is also right about something else... my wife has an AWD SUV and when she had her all season tires on, my car was better in the snow than hers was. However, when she put Blizzaks on hers, the car is great in the snow (better than mine). It is also because she has a skinnier tire, but needless to say, if you put 4 snows on your car, it will be well worth it.

I dropped from 18's to 17's and the appropriate sidewall and width changes. Obviously it doesn't perform as well on dry pavement, but what a difference in the snow. And by the way... we got almost NO snow last year, don't expect us to get off so easy this time around.

2008 IS350 Starfire Pearl
JoeZ Intake & K&N Air Filter
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replys !

I only work 10km away from where i live, and the max speed i would go is 60km/h so i am thinking i would be ok. Since i do not drive as much in the winter.
The 2011 AWD model comes with 17in, so i think they made them more for winter driving a little thinking people wouild buy the AWD for winter reasons !
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Aficionado

My OEM tires were Bridgestone Turanza 225/40/18 in the front and 255/40/18 in the back.

Which tires did yours come with?

2008 IS350 Starfire Pearl
JoeZ Intake & K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page