LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2011 IS350 Gear Shift Response Time Using Shifter

Hi guys. Long time no see.

Has the gear shift response time improved using shifter on the knob or the paddle shifter on the 2011 model? I know how it was like when I owned the 2008 model. Is there any change in response time on the '11 model? Knightshade, do you have any insight on this as well?

And oh my God.... that looks absolutely fabulous. Is this what you really get if you go with "F-Sport Package"?? Love the bumper grille and bumper lip! There is not much of price increase either.

Thanks all!

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM
Extremist

Just like 2008, the 2IS doesn't have shifters.

It has a top gear limiter that you can control with either the stick or the paddles.

As such, if you use it thinking you are shifting the car, it will seem slow, because you're not shifting the car. The car is completely automatic. The only thing you can ever do is set a maximum top gear. Below that setting the car remains a fully automatic transmission.

The only change Lexus has made to this is from 2009+ you can use the paddles in D rather than needing to switch to S first (which I suppose could make things marginally quicker in certain situations, but what it's making quicker is still just locking out some upper gears, not actual shifting).

If you want virtually instant, real, shifting, without a clutch pedal, on an IS, you'll need an IS-F.

The 3rd gen IS (likely out next year as a 2013 model) will have significantly quicker shifting, though based on current news of the next-gen GS it may not be the "really manual" mode the IS-F has....which would be fairly disappointing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Lurker

At $2400 the F Sport package is a steal! You get the wheels, front/real spoiler, great sport seats, lowering springs, sport tuned shocks, F Sport badging in both sides and on the steering wheel.

I added front/rear sway bars, F sport air intake and exhaust, and F sport shift knob(which SHOULD havebeen included in the kit as advertised but isn't). This car ROCKS!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
It has a top gear limiter that you can control with either the stick or the paddles.
That's what I meant. My wording caused the miscommunication, sorry. What I was asking is, has there been any improvement on how quickly the computer commands the transmission to change gear to the next? Like you said, I use a paddle shift or on the stick, it takes a while for the gear to actually change. So based on what you are saying, this hasn't been changed, right?

Quote:
The only change Lexus has made to this is from 2009+ you can use the paddles in D rather than needing to switch to S first (which I suppose could make things marginally quicker in certain situations, but what it's making quicker is still just locking out some upper gears, not actual shifting).

The 3rd gen IS (likely out next year as a 2013 model) will have significantly quicker shifting, though based on current news of the next-gen GS it may not be the "really manual" mode the IS-F has....which would be fairly disappointing.
That's good to know. Thanks.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowse View Post
At $2400 the F Sport package is a steal! You get the wheels, front/real spoiler, great sport seats, lowering springs, sport tuned shocks, F Sport badging in both sides and on the steering wheel.
That is absolutely amazing. It's definitely a steal. I thought I was dreaming lol. Thanks for the assurance!

Looking at the interior pics of the F-Sport pkg, it's not full leather like the regular ones. Is that cloth in the center part of the seats?

The car in red looks a little girly but man.... looks too gorgeous. If I decide to go with IS350 I may have get a red! LOL

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Lurker

I forgot to mention you get the cool aluminum pedals that I always loved on my old IS300s.

The middle of the seat is what is called "micro fiber" material and is very nice. I would prefer the swede material like the ISF and the old 300s but it looks/feels great and is sportyish.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah the F-Sport is quite the good deal, I got one and I love it... I wish the seats were all leather but I guess the micro-fiber serves it's purpose, it really keeps you in place and it's is pretty nice anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page