0-60 time for '06 350. - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

0-60 time for '06 350.

Well Ive had my 350 since around 2007, and there's been many miles put on it from road trips, as well as from the original owner (83000). I also haven't changed the spark plugs, but am going to do so this weekend. The only thing I've done is give it 89 octane and 93 octane almost every fill up.

My best 0-60 time I recorded was a 5.5 However, seeing as how it was a stopwatch it may be off by up to .2. Is this a good time for the vehicle, and would replacing the plugs make a large difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 AM
Extremist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanuel View Post
Well Ive had my 350 since around 2007, and there's been many miles put on it from road trips, as well as from the original owner (83000). I also haven't changed the spark plugs, but am going to do so this weekend. The only thing I've done is give it 89 octane and 93 octane almost every fill up.

My best 0-60 time I recorded was a 5.5 However, seeing as how it was a stopwatch it may be off by up to .2. Is this a good time for the vehicle, and would replacing the plugs make a large difference?
5.5 is not great... but then there's a number of possible causes for this:

1. You're running 89 some of the time. The car requires 91 or higher for optimal performance.

2. You're 23,000 miles past the recommended spark plug change

3. You're measuring with a stopwatch rather than something more precise like an accelerometer.

Those are the for-sure problems. There's a couple more maybe problems-

A. You have an 06 so probably aren't turning off traction control and VSC like you should for a test like this. You'll need to do the pedal dance for that. This can make a .3-.5 difference all by itself.

B. Your tires might suck.

C. Your air filter might be dirty (check/clean every 15k, replace every 30k unless it's a reusable one)

D. You might be trying to use the paddles, or ECT-Power, to test. Best results will be ECT-Normal, and shifter left in D.

Road and Track got 4.9...and quite a few forum members have posted up times in the 4.8-5 range... so that's about what I'd expect on a properly running IS350, especially with it being colder weather this time of year.

5.5 is what I'd expect on mediocre tires with traction control on in warm weather, and the other possible negative factors in your situation (the fuel octane, spark plugs, etc) don't help.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Frequenter

Is the is 350 as fast as the isf from 0-60?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by john t. View Post
Is the is 350 as fast as the isf from 0-60?
Nope...the F puts up times in the 4.2-4.3 range 0-60.... it's not nearly as "more fast" over the 350 as the 350 is over the 250, but it is faster.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I did the pedal dance, and it only made about .15 difference, but what's your advice on the launch? Also, I live in north Texas which is getting about 70-80 degree weather, insanely warm for this time of year, normally it's around 40. Aside from going out and buying a $100 dollar accelerometer just for this, what are my options for more precise timing?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Extremist

Quote:
I did the pedal dance, and it only made about .15 difference, but what's your advice on the launch? Also, I live in north Texas which is getting about 70-80 degree weather, insanely warm for this time of year, normally it's around 40. Aside from going out and buying a $100 dollar accelerometer just for this, what are my options for more precise timing?
There are a number of apps for smartphones (which usually have accelerometers in them) that are free or only a couple of bucks, those would certainly beat a stopwatch and can do 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

Yeah, 70-80 doesn't really help for best times either... how are your tires? That'll change your launch methods.

Generally speaking you at least want the following:

Clean, flat, safe road surface.

Fuel at 1/4 tank or less... any useless dead weight out of the car.

Put car in D, ECT-NORMAL (not power), disable VSC/TC (pedal dance in your case, hold button 5 seconds for 07+models)

After that you want to launch at the highest rpm you can without wheel spin.

On crappy tires that might be launching at idle (ie just move your foot from full brake to full gas)

On REALLY crappy tires even that might spin the wheels.

On good tires you can probably brake torque up to 1500ish to launch for a slightly better time.

On GREAT tires you might be able to go a little higher than 1500
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Follower

Quote:
Gmanuel, keeping measuring with your stopwatch is very inaccurate and will give you inconsistent results. The accelerometer, with proper calibration and performed on nice flat road not only will give you more accurate results but will also be *consistent*.

My best run was 4.72 sec, using Beltronics Vector fx1 on a flat road surface with 40F weather with moderate barometric pressure. Completely stock, with floor mats and owners manual and spare tire intact. :D Gas at slightly more than 1/8 tank. Tires was Summer tires and PSI was high at 40 so I did the *gentle* launch by breaktorquing at only 1000 rpm. If I had better stickier tires and power launched it I would have gotten much better result (4.5 or 4.6 possibly). And my car was in excellent condition, clean air filter, valves, fuel lines, etc. 4300 miles on the odometer. This was with 2008 IS350 I had.

What is the total miles on your car??? It didn't seem clear to me. Is it close to 100k?

Yes definitely change out the spark plugs, air filter, good engine oil (recently changed out?). You may need to take the car in for getting the fuel line and engine checked out. Cause if you use stop watch who know you might have actually gotten 5.9 sec 0-60?

Again, there is no way a timing off the speedometer gauge using stop watch will give you anything accurate. That's a huge no-no. Accelerometer will measure the vehicle's g-force from point A when it *starts* to move, not the speedo gauge.

'07 Lexus IS350 Lux pkg - Purchased at 135k miles

Last edited by JohnnyChimpo; 02-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

It has 83700 on it so I'm taking it in to get the spark plugs changed tomorrow. What else would you suggest I get replaced? The air filter is about 3000 miles old, and I'm putting mobil 1 in it next oil change in 800 miles.

I get wheel spin when I launch at around 1500 rpm...that's with 39psi.

I have the pocket dyno app now, I did a time on it and got 5.18
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Follower

Quote:
It has 83700 on it so I'm taking it in to get the spark plugs changed tomorrow. What else would you suggest I get replaced? The air filter is about 3000 miles old, and I'm putting mobil 1 in it next oil change in 800 miles.

I get wheel spin when I launch at around 1500 rpm...that's with 39psi.

I have the pocket dyno app now, I did a time on it and got 5.18
That's actually quite good considering you got wheel spin. Sounds like your car is in good shape. Yes try it after the oil change. Fresh oil change is always a plus. I would lower the rear to 33 PSI. Front at 40 PSI so that you can get better traction for the rear and minimize rolling resistance on the front. I think you'll be on track once you get the plugs and oil replaced.

Oh and wax your car.... you want the air to slide out, rather than catching the paint surface. Improvement is very small, but if you do here and there it all adds up.

Last edited by JohnnyChimpo; 02-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Update!!

I just did a time in 28 degree weather with the engine warmed up, and a half tank of gas, at 4.65 according to the accelerometer app! I'm sure that's a few hundredths off since it's not a specialized piece of equipment, but that is still an incredible time regardless!

Also, it said I got a 4.48 on another time tonight, but I'm betting that's off. What do you guys think?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Extremist

Quote:
Update!!

I just did a time in 28 degree weather with the engine warmed up, and a half tank of gas, at 4.65 according to the accelerometer app! I'm sure that's a few hundredths off since it's not a specialized piece of equipment, but that is still an incredible time regardless!

Also, it said I got a 4.48 on another time tonight, but I'm betting that's off. What do you guys think?
I think given folks have gotten 4.8-4.9 in "decent" weather with normal TC-off launches it's not impossible to hit 4.5-4.7 in awesome weather with a perfect launch.

If you want to really try and nail down how accurate your given accelerometer app is though the best way would be this:

Go to a 1/4 mile track (or an 1/8 mile track if you don't have a 1/4 nearby).... go on a test and tune day so you can get a number of runs in for one (usually very cheap) flat fee

Run the accelerometer app on each run.

Now see how its results compare to what the electronic timing lights on the track, which are generally highly accurate, say.

In an ideal world they'll match... more likely you'll find some difference... ideally it SHOULD be a consistent one so you can figure out what the "correction" should be on any results your app gives you.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

The reviews for the app are generally positive ones saying how accurate it is, but I don't trust those completely, so thanks, I'll look for any nearby tracks.

I wonder if having an 8th of a tank, and putting in some high quality oil could make a .2 difference? What oil would you suggest?

But also, after the spark plug change, it sounds incredible, idle is much softer and throttle response much quicker and produces a much richer sound. Thanks for all your help Knightshade, and Cheez!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Extremist

Quote:
The reviews for the app are generally positive ones saying how accurate it is, but I don't trust those completely, so thanks, I'll look for any nearby tracks.

I wonder if having an 8th of a tank, and putting in some high quality oil could make a .2 difference? What oil would you suggest?

But also, after the spark plug change, it sounds incredible, idle is much softer and throttle response much quicker and produces a much richer sound. Thanks for all your help Knightshade, and Cheez!
For oil I personally like Amsoil... but it's not easily available locally in most cases so you'd have to order online unless you know a distributor that has some on hand... the low fuel will help in that gasoline is a little over 6 lbs per gallon, so a full tank versus only having a couple gallons in there can pull ~70 pounds off the car.... the typical rule of thumb I've heard is every 100 lbs of weight removed is 0.1 quicker in the 1/4 mile. (so probably like 0.05 for 0-60)

As to the app, it might well be pretty accurate, but best to be sure... I know my G-tech for example (from back in the days before phones had accelerometers built in ) is highly reliable in that results are repeatable, but that the results are off by about 0.1 from what timing lights at a track say, so I adjust accordingly.... and the results are only repeatable if you insure it's calibrated/leveled correctly before use (not sure how sensitive the phone apps are to that issue)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Follower

^ Yeah same here. My bud juice14's Beltronics FX-2 (i've got FX-1) is off by about 0.1 sec against the drag light. That's pretty darn good.

Gmanuel, glad to hear you're getting improvements. Sounds like you've got a good running car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Owner's Forums > IS350 Owner's Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page