User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2001 IS300, key reprogramming.

hey guys, i was reading the threads about reprogramming and i was excited to get another key cut. After visiting the locksmith he looked at the books and they say that the 2001 model IS300 can't be reprogrammed from the valet key, which is all i have.

To make matters worse, the Immobilizer box can't be reflashed in the 2001's. this means that my only option (as far as the locksmith can tell) is to order a new immo-box from Lexus with new unclut keys and have it installed, then have new keys cut from my existing valet key to match the lock/ignition hardware.

Is there another secret way to get this done that the locksmith may not know about?

To Recap
-I only have a valet key for my car, previous owner was a moron and lost both others.
-my car is a 2001, and it seems that only 2002-2005 models could be reflashed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Follower

That is pretty much your only option. OR you can install a aftermarket keyless entry and just keep using that valet key Also if you are worried about losing the valet key and want other keys cut you can get some more valet style keys from www.dealextreme.com and get those cut and then zip tie your old valet key to your ignition behind the panel.

'02 GGP Manual
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufferdan View Post
That is pretty much your only option. OR you can install a aftermarket keyless entry and just keep using that valet key
Very good idea, I hadn't thought of that. The only problem is that I still can't get a spare key. Which is really the whole point of this thread. The day I lock my key in the car I'll be cursing Lexus.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_Strife View Post
Very good idea, I hadn't thought of that. The only problem is that I still can't get a spare key. Which is really the whole point of this thread. The day I lock my key in the car I'll be cursing Lexus.
So you have some uncut spares? Just get them cut and zip tie the old programmed immobilizer valet key to the ignition and use those new cut spares. You can use them without them being programmed to the ecu or even without immobilizers in them because your ecu will read from the immobilizer key tied to your ignition.

'02 GGP Manual
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Follower

btw your valet key has a immobilizer built into it and if you have been using it to start the car then its programmed to the ecu and working fine. If not then your pretty much screwed and have to get all new ecu and keys

If you have the working valet key zip tied behind the panel you can get as many keys cut as you want and use them and will never have to worry about losing the immobilizer key

'02 GGP Manual
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufferdan View Post
If you have the working valet key zip tied behind the panel you can get as many keys cut as you want and use them and will never have to worry about losing the immobilizer key
Ur a freaking Genius. LOL.

I think i might just do this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Follower

I did this on a RX300 i recently bought that the previous owners lost the master keys. It works fine and nobody will ever know. You will have the get the key in the right spot behind the panel, closest to the ignition key hole as you can. Just test it out while trying to start the car with the non-programmed key.

I also installed a "Wannabe" Lexus Keyless entry system http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16628 so i have it as factory like as i can get it for about a total of $100. That keyless system does not come with directions and can be pretty fun to install haha. It does work though.

Also try calling around for getting a key cut. The first place i went to was $40 just to cut. I recently found a mobile guy that does it for $5 a key!!! There is really nothing special about cutting these keys.

'02 GGP Manual
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Just ordered 2 "Lexus branded" keys for 15 bucks each off ebay. when they get here that key is going inside the car.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey,

I too brought my 2001 Lexus with only 1 valet key. Let me tell you this...IT CAN BE DONE. My car is proof. Buying all those aftermarket things are not reliable at all and just makes your car EASIER to steal. Did you guys know that most lexus keys fits inside all cylinders? Only thing is it doesn't turn (there are ways around this).

Problem is that you need a master key to make additional keys. I know someone who can flash it for you. I made my valet key a master key too so i'm safe if anything happens.

Gimme a PM

Good Luck

Automotive Service Technician

///2001 Lexus IS300 E-Shift///Spectra Blue Mica (SBM)///Limited Slip Differential///Exhaust///Intake///Tokico Illumina///Tanabe NF210///Strut Tower Bar///JDM Fog Lights///
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_87 View Post
Hey,

I too brought my 2001 Lexus with only 1 valet key. Let me tell you this...IT CAN BE DONE. My car is proof. Buying all those aftermarket things are not reliable at all and just makes your car EASIER to steal. Did you guys know that most lexus keys fits inside all cylinders? Only thing is it doesn't turn (there are ways around this).

Problem is that you need a master key to make additional keys. I know someone who can flash it for you. I made my valet key a master key too so i'm safe if anything happens.

Gimme a PM

Good Luck
Im not really sure what you are talking about? A master key has a remote attached to it....how do you make a solid head valet key a master? Are talking about making a valet key have the master cut? Yes you can do that...most locksmiths can, its a minor change in one of the cuts that allows it to open the glove box and trunk. You can make keys off any of the keys....ive had them cut off the valet and emergency key and they open everything on the car.

You are also just as safe using a aftermarket keyless entry. The factory alarm (which isnt even that great) arms on door lock whether you do it manually or with keyless entry.

'02 GGP Manual
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Fiend

Hey,

A key is a key. All that matters is what the ECU sees FROM the key. I had my valet key programmed to become a master key. So its a valet key housing with a master key brain.

BTW, After I got my valet key programmed as master. I went on ebay and brought a new complete Lexus key (one with remote, not a blank). Got it cut and programmed the key (transponder side) and keyless entry myself without a dealership. Trust me, I am NOT bullshitting.

BTW, i believe the difference between valet and master is that the valet is thicker therefore cannot open the glove box.

Thanks

///2001 Lexus IS300 E-Shift///Spectra Blue Mica (SBM)///Limited Slip Differential///Exhaust///Intake///Tokico Illumina///Tanabe NF210///Strut Tower Bar///JDM Fog Lights///
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Follower

aww ok i see what you're saying. So you get the valet programmed as a master and then can program new keys from the "valet". HMM interesting... Who does this out of curiosity?

'02 GGP Manual
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Fiend

yes, thats exactly what I did.

Remember Nicolas Cage in Gone in 60 seconds? HAHHA just joking. Alot of things can be done. Just the fact not everyone needs to know.

Thanks

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Yeah, if you're down to valet only, your only option is to reflash the ECU, which is more expensive and troublesome than to program more master keys when you still have them. The ECU doesn't care what is what, nor does it know. It only recognise a particular signals as your valet key. I guess the reflash cleans the slate and you start fresh with new "master" keys.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

The problem is that you can't re-flash the 2001 model year. you were only able to do this with the 2002-2005.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Regional Forums / All Together Now > Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page