LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Vibration in windows? advice, please :-/

Hi,
I just bought my 2001 IS300, black/black. It hasn't been in any accidents and I had that checked out by my mechanic. However, when I was driving it around, I noticed that when the rear windows are opened, there's this really annoying "vibration" sound that doesn't sound normal at all. I had my music on too, but not too loud. Does anyone know the reason for this or how it could be fixed? It's a really loud and annoying vibrating sound that actually kinda hurts my ears. Please let me know if you know the reason for this. Thanks! Enjoying the car otherwise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:07 PM

whenever only the rear windows are down i get the vibration sound too, its just part of how the car was built...roll your front windows down a bit and you'll notice that the vibration goes away... Im pretty sure it happens to all of us...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Follower

It sounds like changes in air pressure. Happens in any car under certain windows up/down conditions. Does it sound something like the "whump whump whump" of a big helicopter?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Oh, YEAH! There we go, better description. Thanks. Yeah, it has that "whump whump whump" sound that sounds like a big helicopter. Do you know what that is? Is that just normal? It's so annoying! Thanks a lot!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Follower

It's very normal. Having the windows open in certain ways makes weird airflow patterns, and may end up creating alternating higher and lower pressures. That is the same phenomenon that our eardrums pick up as "sound", so we can hear those pressure waves.

Someone with more aerodynamic knowledge will have to tell you how the pressure waves are created by the open windows, I'm just a lowly ChE.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I love that noise. Sounds like a deep base type of noise. Windows 1/2 down or all the way down, still sounds about the same. Causes your ear drums to vibrate a little different so you cant hear the music as clear. But a cool noise none the less. Somebody should have a person ride back there to see if it sounds the same way in the rear.

Member of: H.O.L.T., S.T.O.L.T., AntiBlingers, and Califunknya

02 IS300 L-Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page