Transmission - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Transmission

Hey guys kind of a simple thing to ask but I looked all over the forums and not much info so I just installed a new clutch and flywheel to my 04 manual is300 and can't get the tranny back in been at it for a while now and would like any help I can get at this point thanks in andvance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

Did you use the plastic spline tool to align the plates with the pilot bearing?

What exactly isn't working out for you?

'03 Wagon - Stock
'02 Sedan - Not Stock

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckyyy View Post
Hey guys kind of a simple thing to ask but I looked all over the forums and not much info so I just installed a new clutch and flywheel to my 04 manual is300 and can't get the tranny back in been at it for a while now and would like any help I can get at this point thanks in andvance
I'm assuming you are having a hard time lifting the damn trans up to even clear the engine bell housing / frame.

It's a lot of work to get that thing in there, the bell housing always hits the unibody frame. What I did with mine was to use 2 jacks, jack it up until I saw the spline applying pressure to one of the dog teeth, and just keep jacking up. You get about 1-3mm of movement by shoving the trans spline against the pressure plate teeth, they are supposed to compress anyway.

There is no other way to get that thing in there while on jack stands. You are really limited in mobility being unable to stand and align it.

You can also try pointing the propeller shaft side of the trans at the ground, and point the bell housing up and come in at an angle. This is a bit more difficult to do with a trans jack, but you would simply just need to get someone to hold the rear, and you would essentially bench press the thing up.

02 IS300 | 5mt | LSD (174k Daily Driver)
01 Acura CL type-s | (132k miles Daily Driver)
08 WRX | 16g | E85 (Sold)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckyyy View Post
I'm assuming you are having a hard time lifting the damn trans up to even clear the engine bell housing / frame.

It's a lot of work to get that thing in there, the bell housing always hits the unibody frame. What I did with mine was to use 2 jacks, jack it up until I saw the spline applying pressure to one of the dog teeth, and just keep jacking up. You get about 1-3mm of movement by shoving the trans spline against the pressure plate teeth, they are supposed to compress anyway.

There is no other way to get that thing in there while on jack stands. You are really limited in mobility being unable to stand and align it.

You can also try pointing the propeller shaft side of the trans at the ground, and point the bell housing up and come in at an angle. This is a bit more difficult to do with a trans jack, but you would simply just need to get someone to hold the rear, and you would essentially bench press the thing up.
Alright thanks for the info yea I've been trying to lift it from the side and then rotate once I get it up there but I can never rotate, today I got it to the point where it's in it but I can't rotate to align it and bolt it in. So you just went straight up with 2 jack stands?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post

So I jack the trans up and I can't get it to get close enough to bolt it in I tried jack it on its side and then roatate it which got me the closest but I can't roatate it to align.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page