User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

The w55 and w58 have historically been regarded as fairly weak. If you’re doing the effort of manual swapping, then spend a bit more for an AR5, R154, CD009, or T56. For your power goal I’d stay with the 5 speeds because the 6 speed swap snowballs into also a diff swap to get the rpms back right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginWagon View Post
450 WHP? What was the history of the trans? Original? I知 curious because I planned on using a w58 500whp planned build, maybe I will reconsider. I知 new here and I知 trying to read and research before posting too many questions. I知 starting to collect parts now, IS300 wagon manual swap if anyone can direct me to any existing posts? Good to be here, great info thanks all!
That'll go a long ways for you.

Here's something to start with https://www.my.is/forums/f114/r154-u...thread-379074/

Edit: Agreed with the post above. I wouldn't do any W series transmission for a high-er power build. Even an AR5 I would think about. It is what I have right now but I just run a stock gte and won't increase power too much. From reading around it doesn't seem it's been tested all that much (except for that ONE guy with a 2jz solstice). Most of the lore behind it stems from it being the "successor" to the R154.

If anyone knows about posts and stuff on AR5 limits please point me in their direction. Would love to know exactly what I swapped in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:26 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)

i could have sworn i posted in here a couple of days ago, but i cannot find my post. oh well, here goes.

you are not ready to do a swap. you need to research A LOT more, or pay a shop to do the swap for you.

knowing the difference between the W and R series trannies and what they are rated for is day 1 stuff that can easily be obtained through a google search.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
If anyone knows about posts and stuff on AR5 limits please point me in their direction. Would love to know exactly what I swapped in.
im not sure if your being sarcastic or not, as it sounds like youve already installed an AR5 trans?

with that being said, i believe zilvia has a pretty comprehensive thread. lots of the S chassis guys are starting to realize the superiority of the JZ over the RB series engines (fight me if you disagree); although most seem to be unhappy with the R154. most swap to an AR5 or CD009.

hell, theres even a SR guy swapping a BMW trans into his S chassis.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
im not sure if your being sarcastic or not, as it sounds like youve already installed an AR5 trans?

with that being said, i believe zilvia has a pretty comprehensive thread. lots of the S chassis guys are starting to realize the superiority of the JZ over the RB series engines (fight me if you disagree); although most seem to be unhappy with the R154. most swap to an AR5 or CD009.

I'm not. I have an AR5 because it fit my needs of stock gte daily driving and not made out of glass. But as far as how much they hold or at what torque they start breaking I have no clue....and would be an interesting read.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Aficionado

so, you've been around since 07 and swapped a trans in your GTE car without researching the limits of your AR5 trans? bold move.

the listed 'limit' on wikipedia is 260 ft/lbs although i have been told this is a useless number put out by MFGs. FWIW, i just read the r154 is only rated for 254 ft lbs (according to this thread AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution | Supramania), but we all know it can take more than that.

applying the same logic to the AR5, id say its in the neighborhood of a R154.

Last edited by mesooohoppy; 04-18-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: corrected #s
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
450 WHP? What was the history of the trans? Original? I知 curious because I planned on using a w58 500whp planned build, maybe I will reconsider.
Don't know the history on the broken W58, but when it went in it shifted smoothly and it ran quietly. It broke 3rd gear in the middle of a pull, not immediately after shifting. I think the gear teeth were simply not able to carry the load.

To anybody interested, I'm upgrading to a T56, so my complete R154 arrangement will be for sale in the coming weeks.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Loyalist

Quote:
so, you've been around since 07 and swapped a trans in your GTE car without researching the limits of your AR5 trans? bold move.

the listed 'limit' on wikipedia is 260 ft/lbs although i have been told this is a useless number put out by MFGs. FWIW, i just read the r154 is only rated for 254 ft lbs (according to this thread AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution | Supramania), but we all know it can take more than that.

applying the same logic to the AR5, id say its in the neighborhood of a R154.

Again, I knew it was the succesor to the R154 clunker I ripped out of there so it was at least stronger than a W series . I do not need anything more than that. W55's I've seen hold up but I've also seen brake under stock power so that's that.

And yes, in my first post I say that most of the "it should hold this or that" is based on the fact that it is derived from the R154. I just haven't seen many "Blew my AR5 at XXX tq" threads anywhere other than that solstice dude pushing 700.

I wish I could say I was as bold as you suggest :D but I'm not.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:48 PM
Fiend

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not. I have an AR5 because it fit my needs of stock gte daily driving and not made out of glass. But as far as how much they hold or at what torque they start breaking I have no clue....and would be an interesting read.
Never had mine on a dyno, but I’m running a s362sxe @ 15psi. The AR5 has no problems so far, could prolly turn the boost up a bit more. I boost every single time I drive it, too.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Aficionado

it is surprising that there isnt more info out there regarding the AR transmissions. with how popular they are you think there would be more info. i anticipate as more start to make the switch info will become more available. with the CD009 being so popular, i feel like that trans gets far more attention than the AR 5.

its such a shame we get all of these great power plant options, yet every trans option we have available to us has some sort of major drawback, or requires more money in swap parts than the trans itself.

i did come across a solstice thread earlier i chose not to share because some were claiming the trans would go (along with the rest of the drive line) at 400 whp. there was no definitive proof, so it seemed as if it was all speculation.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 PM
Fiend

Quote:
it is surprising that there isnt more info out there regarding the AR transmissions. with how popular they are you think there would be more info. i anticipate as more start to make the switch info will become more available. with the CD009 being so popular, i feel like that trans gets far more attention than the AR 5.

its such a shame we get all of these great power plant options, yet every trans option we have available to us has some sort of major drawback, or requires more money in swap parts than the trans itself.

i did come across a solstice thread earlier i chose not to share because some were claiming the trans would go (along with the rest of the drive line) at 400 whp. there was no definitive proof, so it seemed as if it was all speculation.
I’d say that’s speculation. Jeez I hope I’m at least 400whp lol.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Loyalist

Everything is speculation. Those who see the glass half full say 700 those who see it half empty say 400. The transmission feels solid and it's been working great for close to a year now but the R154, when sitting next to it, seemed a bit beefier. Then again, it shifted like shit and probably needed a rebuild or something. I do not miss it.

Quote:
IS3TT
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
450 WHP? What was the history of the trans? Original? I’m curious because I planned on using a w58 500whp planned build, maybe I will reconsider. I’m new here and I’m trying to read and research before posting too many questions. I’m starting to collect parts now, IS300 wagon manual swap if anyone can direct me to any existing posts? Good to be here, great info thanks all!
That'll go a long ways for you.

Here's something to start with https://www.my.is/forums/f114/r154-u...thread-379074/

Edit: Agreed with the post above. I wouldn't do any W series transmission for a high-er power build. Even an AR5 I would think about. It is what I have right now but I just run a stock gte and won't increase power too much. From reading around it doesn't seem it's been tested all that much (except for that ONE guy with a 2jz solstice). Most of the lore behind it stems from it being the "successor" to the R154.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
Quote:
450 WHP? What was the history of the trans? Original? I’m curious because I planned on using a w58 500whp planned build, maybe I will reconsider.
Don't know the history on the broken W58, but when it went in it shifted smoothly and it ran quietly. It broke 3rd gear in the middle of a pull, not immediately after shifting. I think the gear teeth were simply not able to carry the load.

To anybody interested, I'm upgrading to a T56, so my complete R154 arrangement will be for sale in the coming weeks.
Thanks for the info guys! I’m still in early stages of planning, but I’m daily driving my platform now and finishing my shop within the next few weeks if weather permits. When it’s done I’ll start collecting parts. I’ve got LOTS of reading to do in the meantime. How much for the R154 setup, what state are you in?
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post

To anybody interested, I'm upgrading to a T56
Hell ya, me too, seems like the best choice on the market right now
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH_71631 View Post
Hell ya, me too, seems like the best choice on the market right now
Yes, I think it is clearly the best overall option at this point. It's a known-good trans, with suitable gearing, with lots of confidence of future support.

The R154, while functional, is old, clunky and obsolete...with limited support.

The V160 is not only ridiculously priced, but if you have any problem with it, you're screwed. Plus, our 3.7x or 3.9x rear gear is a terrible match to it. Getting a 3.1x rear gear will cost thousands more.

The CD009 saves ~1500 over the T56, which isn't insignificant, but its gearing is also a lousy match, and the whole "cut off the bellhousing" and use an adaptor concept is kinda cheesy. Considering to do the job right, (with good clutch, hydraulics, aluminum driveshaft, etc) the CD009 will still set you back $6k, it seems like at that point you might as well spend the extra $1500 to do the T56.

I had to think long and hard before spending $7500 on this T56 arrangement. Our cars are not desireable to people with money. Sure, there are a lot of 20 year olds that drool over a well-done turbo IS300, but nobody with $30k to spend wants one. So any money spent on these cars is money that'll never come back from resale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page