Is There A DIY for Replacing Valve Cover Gasket? - Page 3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So the car won the battle today - wasn't feeling well enough to fight with anymore.

I had most of it torn down, but there was one 10mm bolt on the firewall side of the Y intake - it is on the bottom, driver side of the EGR Shift bolt. How do I get to that. The lines/wires it's holding are to short to let me move it much.

-JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

A swivel adapter on the socket didn't help? They shouldn't be on there too tight.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Ya that nut is a b*tch. I think its a 12mm nut, not a 10mm bolt if I remember correct. Either way only way I could get in there is with a long thin 12mm ratchet wrench. A socket wrench was too bulky to get in there.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Has anyone used non-Toyota/Lexus valve cover gaskets from an auto parts store? Have you had any issues with the auto parts store gaskets?

2002 IBP 5-speed - Cloth - LSD - Konis
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Is There A DIY for Replacing Valve Cover Gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mball19 View Post
Has anyone used non-Toyota/Lexus valve cover gaskets from an auto parts store? Have you had any issues with the auto parts store gaskets?
OEM is cheap and reliable, why would you consider this option?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Would you use a spoon to eat a salad? Comon man just get the correct ones, dont chance it. Got mine at napa auto for like $25.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj View Post
Would you use a spoon to eat a salad? Comon man just get the correct ones, dont chance it. Got mine at napa auto for like $25.
Did the napa gaskets stop your oil leaks? How long have you had them installed?

2002 IBP 5-speed - Cloth - LSD - Konis
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just changed the gasket with a autozone one and work just fine. The dealer did not have it in stock and it was my only day off to do it.. Stopped the leak.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Immortal

You will have to unbolt the Y flange piece of intake either fully which might be easier or after bolt on Y.
Remember to only tighten to 75 Inch/pounds and dab some silicone on the corners.
(borrowed pic)

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 AM

Hey guys, so i just figured out that i need to replace these gaskets too. Ive read most places that its a fairly simple job but after reading all these posts... kinda skeptical.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM

Garage
i found a link from clublexus Replace Valve Cover Gaskets + Lots More DIY - Club Lexus Forums hope this help

project IS -drop snail- on process %-
Tomotoyo rods, eibach sway bar, koni with df210 springs, tower bar cusco, transmission cooler, poly bushings lca #1/2, hks dli ignition _all dyi thanks to my.is successfully done with run problem
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 AM
Addict

Did you guys have to move the wire harness out of the way? I can see that's it's in the way of the valve cover bolts.

post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:58 AM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
Did you guys have to move the wire harness out of the way? I can see that's it's in the way of the valve cover bolts.
The main engine harness that wraps around the front? No, you don't need to, only disconnect the few sensors on the exhaust side and remove their support clips. Be very careful not to break them because they are very brittle. Basically you take the Y-pipe off from the intake plenum, 4 12mm bolts, 2 10mm nuts, disconnect all the vacuum lines and clips from Y-Pipe and TB, remove the coolant lines to the TB and TB itself(you don't have to fully remove the TB, just move it to to the side. If you don't put a dab of silicone sealant on the front corners of the valve cover where it goes over the cam cap, it will leak there. Put some over the cam seals, the FSM shows the specific locations. Remember to tighten to only 75"/lbs and you'll be good to go. But to help answer your question, make sure to have a 10mm short socket with a swivel or swivel box wrench and you will not have to touch the engine harness. Hope this helps...

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm4 View Post
The main engine harness that wraps around the front? No, you don't need to, only disconnect the few sensors on the exhaust side and remove their support clips. Be very careful not to break them because they are very brittle. Basically you take the Y-pipe off from the intake plenum, 4 12mm bolts, 2 10mm nuts, disconnect all the vacuum lines and clips from Y-Pipe and TB, remove the coolant lines to the TB and TB itself(you don't have to fully remove the TB, just move it to to the side. If you don't put a dab of silicone sealant on the front corners of the valve cover where it goes over the cam cap, it will leak there. Put some over the cam seals, the FSM shows the specific locations. Remember to tighten to only 75"/lbs and you'll be good to go. But to help answer your question, make sure to have a 10mm short socket with a swivel or swivel box wrench and you will not have to touch the engine harness. Hope this helps...
Thanks Jason. My main concern was being able to torque the bolts and nuts down with the engine harness in the way. I think I'll be able to move it around a bit a make room.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page