3Likes
  • 3 Post By Slammed_2JZ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Tail light issue common problems.

As most of you know I bought an IS300 about a month and a half ago, Had an issue with it blowing the 10A tail fuse. Read and read and read and couldn't figure out why, Checked my whole interior harness that runs on the drivers side rocker for possible grounds, etc. And no avail until yesterday. There's not a lot of info on this topic so I figured I'd make this post. There is a few things that could cause this, the combination switch on your turn signal stalk for your lights could be bad, The way to tell is there's a fuse box in the drivers side footwell by the clutch if you have manual, If you turn your lights on and you do not hear a relay click on and off it is possible for the relay or your combination switch to be bad, If you hear the relay click then the relay & combination switch are good. Another issue could be the Tail light out indicator which is in the trunk behind the carpeting on the drivers side quarter panel, That could also be bad. They are around $30 on Ebay for a OEM replacement. And the main issue I found from reading but there isn't a lot of info on it. There is a harness that runs the rear bumper side markers, This harness runs from the passenger side taillight, down to both of those markers, If you have an after-market exhaust and you removed the bumper previously or anything, This harness has enough slack to rest on the muffler and melt the casing of the harness to bare wires. And the muffler is connected to the motor and the motor is grounded to the Chassis which gives you a ground potential. This was my issue. It took a few minutes to just remove the harness and I now have lights again and I'm not blowing fuses. I want to put this info out here because this info is not per-say "Easy" to find, thus why it took me so long. If I had this info first I would've checked that harness first and would've been done with it. I truly hope this helps people out so they don't have to go through what I did, And if you have any questions just ask and I can help you.
Jaysz28, SP2Pilot and suda like this.

2002 IS300, 5SPD Manual,
Graphite Grey Pearl
Ruff Racing 17x9's
Manzo Toe Arms
Swift Racing Tech CAI and heat-shield
DuraFlex Side Skirts
Momo wheel and hub
Stance XR1 Coilovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

yeah I was gonna say, check inside/behind the rear bumper for those pesky side marker wires. Glad that solved your issue!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
yeah I was gonna say, check inside/behind the rear bumper for those pesky side marker wires. Glad that solved your issue!
I am very glad as well haha. Now I just need to mount my other two tires, buy a headlight and register/insure it

2002 IS300, 5SPD Manual,
Graphite Grey Pearl
Ruff Racing 17x9's
Manzo Toe Arms
Swift Racing Tech CAI and heat-shield
DuraFlex Side Skirts
Momo wheel and hub
Stance XR1 Coilovers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

100% the side marker wires. I was driving down the road at night and someone flagged me down to tell me I had no lights on the rear of my car. I took off the rear bumper cover and noticed that the wires were melted to my muffler tips. I pulled that wire, swapped a fuse, and they've been 100% since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > Basic Help & Repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page